Need some advise.

P

pippinwhitepaws

i use gun cotton to clean any metal that i wish to stabilize.
if you go to the auto parts and ask for gun cotton...you will get blank stares...so go over to the mega auto parts chain stores..under polishing compounds. never dull is the name of the product. less then four dollars a can, lasts for months

it is cotton soaked in some weird petrol substance. nasty fumes, CLEANS real good...
once you become accustomed to using it, you can clean dirt, and leave patina...one second to long, and it is real high polish.

OP
OP
coingairl300

coingairl300

Mar 17, 2008
Warren county NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pippinwhitepaws said:
if you go to the auto parts and ask for gun cotton...you will get blank stares...so go over to the mega auto parts chain stores..under polishing compounds. never dull is the name of the product. less then four dollars a can, lasts for months

it is cotton soaked in some weird petrol substance. nasty fumes, CLEANS real good...
once you become accustomed to using it, you can clean dirt, and leave patina...one second to long, and it is real high polish.

Thank you for your reply,i have been looking for some good stuff to clean with.

OP
OP
coingairl300

coingairl300

Mar 17, 2008
Warren county NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pippinwhitepaws said:

HI
I picked up the product that you recaminded and tried it on some of my finds that i never got to clean. After i finished cleaning them,I polished them up. It left a white powder coating on them? Has this ever happen to you, and how do you get rid of it?

Priscilla

P

pippinwhitepaws

howdy,
yes, the white coating is not abnormal...the object drys, the white power appears...buff off with a clean cloth.

OP
OP
coingairl300

coingairl300

Mar 17, 2008
Warren county NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pippinwhitepaws said:
howdy,
yes, the white coating is not abnormal...the object drys, the white power appears...buff off with a clean cloth.

Okay, cool! Thanks

Priscilla

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please don't do this to any collectable coins though!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread