need help identifying a Civil War relic from Gettysburg

strangesprings

Tenderfoot
Nov 15, 2017
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
purchased a legally dug artifact from Gettysburg which was sold to me as a Civil War musicians insignia but can find no reference to the item anywhere. I wondered if someone here might be able to identify it? 41881A1D-27C8-46DF-85B0-E5F88BEBF96A.jpeg

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
purchased a legally dug artifact from Gettysburg which was sold to me as a Civil War musicians insignia but can find no reference to the item anywhere. I wondered if someone here might be able to identify it? View attachment 1516516

where did you buy it? Sounds sketchy probably not from gettysburg as they have crazy laws about artifact removal and I'm not sure you can ever dig there legally and sell artifacts unless it was from private land away from actual gettysburg

OP
OP
S

strangesprings

Tenderfoot
Nov 15, 2017
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, you are probably right. The seller said he dug it in private land near the landmark with owners permission but who knows.
I’d still like to know what it is though.

moosescout

Jan 22, 2015
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gettysburg is like anywhere else. Just make sure it’s private land and get permission from the landowner. The only problem is that NP does buy up the land and allows the individual to continue to live there and farm. So you need to make sure this isn’t the case.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How big is it? Are there any attachment points on it? I can't remember ever seeing anything like that related to the civil war. But, I can't remember what I had for supper last night either!:laughing7:

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't think it's dug and I don't think it's civil war.

If I were you, I'd take it back to him.

Last edited:

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It is absolutely not a civil war military musician's insignia. I would tell the seller to either refund my money or show me that specific "insignia" in a Civil War Insignia book, or other book showing civil war relics. (He cannot do the latter.)

OP
OP
S

strangesprings

Tenderfoot
Nov 15, 2017
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it did have a place for an attachment on the reverse but it is broken off. It is about 1.75” high and 1” wide. It was very corroded when I received it put I used a preservation technique they use with Roman bronze coins and let it soak in olive oil for quite a while, this takes the scaling off and that’s why it doesn’t look dug.

OP
OP
S

strangesprings

Tenderfoot
Nov 15, 2017
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve attached a couple of additional photos of object prior to soaking in olive oil. All the other items this gentleman had for sale were common battlefield items and looked dug.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread