Need help identifying bullet?

Diggr_D4

Greenie
Jan 19, 2016
Warner Robins/Cochran GA
Detector(s) used
Garret ACE 250 with NEL Tornado coil Garret pin pointer... Started relic hunting in Cochran GA
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am new to relic hunting and my first dig in Cochran GA. I found this bullet in 6-8 in deep and to my surprise --a bullet. I have seen a lot of cavity back bullets from the civil war but most are .57 to .69 range. This bullet is .35 - .36 Caliber and is ~ .725 in length. I cleaned it (probably shouldn't have) and saw the cavity back --wow. If it's a modern bullet I feel stupid. I have been around guns all my life and don't recall a cavity back??? Please help. P1000035.JPG P1000022.JPG P1000024.JPG

Upvote 0

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Digger D4, I cant find a picture in my book but may just not have seen it. I will look some more tomorrow and see if I can find anything but maybe in the mean time someone will know and tell us what it is...d2

OP
OP
D

Diggr_D4

Greenie
Jan 19, 2016
Warner Robins/Cochran GA
Detector(s) used
Garret ACE 250 with NEL Tornado coil Garret pin pointer... Started relic hunting in Cochran GA
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks... I have more pictures if it will help???

D4

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can't find it anywhere, sorry...d2

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't believe it's a bullet. I've found similar things on an old dairy farm I search. I believe it's something off of farm equipment. Like an aerator pulled behind a tractor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Diggr_D4

Greenie
Jan 19, 2016
Warner Robins/Cochran GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't believe it's a bullet. I've found similar things on an old dairy farm I search. I believe it's something off of farm equipment. Like an aerator pulled behind a tractor.

Thanks for the info... Everyone who has looked at it sees rifling marks and identifies it as a lead bullet that is old.
Thanks to everyone who is trying to help identify this "appears to be an old bullet". Again, it was about 8" deep and the cavity was full of dirt (not red clay).

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO

It's an older but modern Bullet.

I have dug several est, '38' + or - Cal, bullets with a Small Rounded out Base, a couple the other day .
Can not tell how deep the cavity is on yours but If I recall Right Yours might be a tad bit deeper than the ones I find.

I have GOT TO pay my Wife to post pictures for Me.!!!!!!!

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it possible that it has been carved?

HH, Relic Nut

OP
OP
D

Diggr_D4

Greenie
Jan 19, 2016
Warner Robins/Cochran GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IMO

It's an older but modern Bullet.

I have dug several est, '38' + or - Cal, bullets with a Small Rounded out Base, a couple the other day .
Can not tell how deep the cavity is on yours but If I recall Right Yours might be a tad bit deeper than the ones I find.

I have GOT TO pay my Wife to post pictures for Me.!!!!!!!

I will be TDY (out of town) next week sooooo when I get back to work "where I have access to a caliber" we will try and measure the depth of the cavity. Also, it does have "lands and grooves" about 90% up to the malformed top that slightly hit something.

Thanks for the post...!!!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be TDY (out of town) next week sooooo when I get back to work "where I have access to a caliber" we will try and measure the depth of the cavity. Also, it does have "lands and grooves" about 90% up to the malformed top that slightly hit something.

Thanks for the post...!!!

Sounds Good, have a nice trip.

OP
OP
D

Diggr_D4

Greenie
Jan 19, 2016
Warner Robins/Cochran GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Is it possible that it has been carved?

HH, Relic Nut

My friend and I were discussing if it could be a special bullet made??? I just dug up an (U.M.C. Co. No. 12 New Club) shot gun shell that was about 100 yards from the bullet in the post... -WOW. I was so excited today. My wife and I had our dog trompsing (sp?) around the land today and found that old SGS (shot gun shell 1867-1911).

Thanks for the post....

B0040047.JPG

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Shot gun Brass cleaned up nicely.

I seem to find a-lot of "New Club" types in GA.

Still thinking your 1st bullet is Old but post Civil War Cast Bullet. & Maybe?? dates to the same era as the SGB.

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here are a couple of 36 cal. bullets from cw site/camp. They are to smashed to be useful side shots with camera. I can give you a gram weight if you want. I have been wondering about these also. IMAG0628.jpg

OP
OP
D

Diggr_D4

Greenie
Jan 19, 2016
Warner Robins/Cochran GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That Shot gun Brass cleaned up nicely.

I seem to find a-lot of "New Club" types in GA.

Still thinking your 1st bullet is Old but post Civil War Cast Bullet. & Maybe?? dates to the same era as the SGB.

Davers --see alabama11 picture of two 36 cal. bullets from CW site/camp... I don't know what mine is but it's interesting and I sure would like someone to identify which type of rifle/gun shot this bullet. I also found an old .22 cal. bullet. I will upload a picture of it as well. B0050050.JPG P1000062.JPG

OP
OP
D

Diggr_D4

Greenie
Jan 19, 2016
Warner Robins/Cochran GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cavity depth

Davers -- The cavity depth is approx. .22 - .23 inches using a caliper (sp?) or Calliper...???

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry guy's I been "Slack" on this .

I need to do some lookin in to this , my problem is I got stuff everywhere, & I keep most everything I dig.

I save most old bullets I find (Post CW) that are in 95% Good Condition.
Many others still lay unsorted & Uncleaned.

I hope they (Cavity Type Bullets ) are CW Era, Or were used in the War ,cause that means I got lot,s of CW Bullets to dig out of storage.

Whiplash00

Jan 21, 2016
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found the hand poured ball at the bottom of a hill and the rest at the top. About 8-10" deep also. I don't know much about these
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1455942114.688020.jpg

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CW 5.jpg CW 1.jpg CW 2.jpg CW 3.jpg CW 4.jpg

Ok ya'll finally looked into this a little better. I pulled out some of my older bullets that look similar too yours 'Digger D4' and alabama11's smaller caliber bullets with pretty deep cone type cavities.
All these are "in my opinion" older cast modern type bullets that range in the 38 cal. area.
Heck even the small 31/32 caliber round ball is fairly modern IMP.

I was surprised myself at how deep some of the cavities were at the same time many showed hardly any cavity at all.
So all in all I believe these old but post CW bullets.

I want to thank my wife for helping me with the pics. If anybody would like more elaboration I'll answer any questions when I have more time, maybe tomorrow if I am rained in.

Hope this helps and I have learned a little as well
GL HH
Davers

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Kinda makes sense the government would reduce lead per bullet by adding the cavity to save money. An expensive war.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread