bigrush828

Aug 7, 2010
Northwest Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Need help ID'ing the first artifact I ever found...25 yrs ago...pics included

I remember finding this artifact like it was yesterday. I was around 5 yrs old in preschool. I grew up in Central Louisiana. Anyone who knows anything about the area can tell you the only rocks you will find are in driveways. I remember it had just rained and this little "rock" was just sitting under one of the portable building, on top of the moist dirt. I believe this is where my fascination with rocks started. Only recently did it occurr ro me that this was an artifact. I believe it is made out of some type of granite, which is totally not native to Central Louisiana.

Any comments/opinions are more than welcomed. Does anyone know what it is? What type of rock it is made from?

My theory is that it was either a cooking stone of game stone.

Attachments

• 20100824 078.jpg
    20100824 078.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 572
  • 20100824 077.jpg
    20100824 077.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 577
  • 20100824 065.jpg
    20100824 065.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 550
  • 20100824 053.jpg
    20100824 053.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 573
  • 20100824 049.jpg
    20100824 049.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 553
  • 20100824 046.jpg
    20100824 046.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 556
Upvote 0
OP
OP
bigrush828

bigrush828

Aug 7, 2010
Northwest Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Need help ID'ing the first artifact I ever found...25 yrs ago...pics included

Come on guys, nobody has a clue about this piece? :-)

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Need help ID'ing the first artifact I ever found...25 yrs ago...pics included

I think most are like me and afraid to say what we really think for fear of confrontation, but I guess I'll go ahead and be the bad guy.

From what I can see in your pictures, (and mind you this is just from what is visible in the pictures and my opinion might be different if I could actually hold it), I see a natural rock and not an artifact. Even though you say there were no other stones like it in the area it still doesn't look like it was used for anything to me. Maybe a curious Indian liked the colors and carried it home just like you did, but from what I can see in your pictures I see no evidence of it being altered by man.

Sorry, just a pretty rock.

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX

looks like a grinding stone to me i've dug a few just like it in mounds.it dont have to be altered just used.any area more smooth on it?

O

Ohioan

Mounds ? :dontknow:

Pretty rock

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007

I too have found nice round rocks on village sites that were definitely brought there. Though they show no visible wear they could have been used as boiling stones. The round shape would not damage pottery and they could even be placed in a water tight bark/wood container to heat water.
Just my opinion.

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If there is no sign of it being used by Indians, whats the point in keeping it? I mean come on, we would end up with far too many rocks. I guess it could go in the garden, look nice in a rock garden. I for one aint having a load of shelves with rocks on it that I'm not sure they aint just natural, be silly..
Thats the only thing that bugs me about this hobby is speculation, I like facts..

Molly.

Edmundruffin

Aug 17, 2010
West Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Groundhawk for metal, eyeballs for stone

I have a box of pretty rocks picked from sites. My opinion is the reason you and I have those stones that are different is the same reason the Native carried it home. It was different.

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007

Most of the Monongahela villages are located on hill tops. The dominant rock in WPA is sedentary sand stone, limestone, and shale. Igneous rocks are not found naturally in the area and rocks from the sand stone ledges weather off in sharp angular pieces. There are rounded rocks in the rivers but any round rock above the old glaciated terraces had to be carried there somehow. Igneous rocks such as granite and basalt were highly prized and usually ended up as a celt or ax or just a pretty bauble carried home.

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)

are there pecking marks on the longer ends? one of the pictures it looks like it kinda. maybe a hammerstone or rubbing stone or pecking stone

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

If I found it here on the left coast, I'd say it's an igneous that worked (eventually rolled) to the ancient shore, got tossed around for a couple thousand years, was buried when the seafloor lowered (or the land rose), became exposed through erosion and rolled down again to either a hillside or the beach. A vivid imagination perhaps, but not vivid enough to suggest it was used by man.
Don....

OP
OP
bigrush828

bigrush828

Aug 7, 2010
Northwest Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
Other

Well, if I had found that rock in a creek or river, I may have a different opinion; but I found it in an area where you NEVER see rocks like this. And the nearest water source to this area is miles away. I appreciate all opinions, but I firmly believe it was pecked and ground into a ball shape. Maybe my pictures just suck. :-)

Can someone tell me the type of rock material? Maybe Granite?

OP
OP
bigrush828

bigrush828

Aug 7, 2010
Northwest Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
Other

SRV said:
I think most are like me and afraid to say what we really think for fear of confrontation, but I guess I'll go ahead and be the bad guy.

From what I can see in your pictures, (and mind you this is just from what is visible in the pictures and my opinion might be different if I could actually hold it), I see a natural rock and not an artifact. Even though you say there were no other stones like it in the area it still doesn't look like it was used for anything to me. Maybe a curious Indian liked the colors and carried it home just like you did, but from what I can see in your pictures I see no evidence of it being altered by man.

Sorry, just a pretty rock.

I completely appreciate your input. Although, you made me weep a little ;D

OP
OP
bigrush828

bigrush828

Aug 7, 2010
Northwest Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
Other

steve71 said:
looks like a grinding stone to me i've dug a few just like it in mounds.it dont have to be altered just used.any area more smooth on it?

I think my pictures just suck, because it is very smooth to the touch and naked eye.

OP
OP
bigrush828

bigrush828

Aug 7, 2010
Northwest Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
Other

Molly said:
If there is no sign of it being used by Indians, whats the point in keeping it? I mean come on, we would end up with far too many rocks. I guess it could go in the garden, look nice in a rock garden. I for one aint having a load of shelves with rocks on it that I'm not sure they aint just natural, be silly..
Thats the only thing that bugs me about this hobby is speculation, I like facts..

Molly.

I like facts too, that's why I made this post :)

Even if it is not a artifact, it does mean a lot to me. So, in my opinion, that is reason enough to display it proudly my my most prized artifacts.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Like this maybe? :sign13:

Attachments

• 100_3074.JPG
    100_3074.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 342

brandywine

Jan 31, 2010

I would have picked it up as well. That little egg looks like it was certainly touched by man (or woman) somewhere in history. Let your imagination soar.

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007

Looks to be a pink granite.

OP
OP
bigrush828

bigrush828

Aug 7, 2010
Northwest Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
Other

TnMountains said:
Like this maybe? :sign13:

Very nice! I would say that's the exact type of rock! Do you knwo what type of rock that is? Thanks for showing!

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Re: Need help ID'ing the first artifact I ever found...25 yrs ago...pics include

Looks like a small hammerstone or grinding stone to me. Some people call them eggstones. I would have kept it. Of course my opinion is based on a two dimensional picture and not an in-hand study. Imo you can learn more from artifacts by handling them and getting the feel of worked / used areas, than simply looking at a picture to make a judgement call.

Facts? What facts? Archaeology is a soft science based on speculation and educated guesswork. I enjoy the mystery.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread