need help iding this Texas arrowhead

Texas Jed

Jan 24, 2007
Houston Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
need help id'ing this Texas arrowhead

Hello all, I found this arrowhead last summer in New Braunfels, Texas in a dry creek bed near the Guadalupe river. New Braunfels is round about San Antonio if your not familiar with the area. This is my first and only find and would like to know a little about it so I can display it in my home. Thanks.

Attachments

• DSC01770.jpg
    DSC01770.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 533
  • DSC01771.jpg
    DSC01771.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 519
Upvote 0

ohioriver hunter

Apr 12, 2007
Re: need help id'ing this Texas arrowhead

Texas Jed said:
Hello all, I found this arrowhead last summer in New Braunfels, Texas in a dry creek bed near the Guadalupe river. New Braunfels is round about San Antonio if your not familiar with the area. This is my first and only find and would like to know a little about it so I can display it in my home. Thanks.
[/quote HI JED I HAVE A BROTHER IN SAN A. I,M GOING THERE THIS SUMMER I,LL HAVE TO DO SOME HUNTIN THERE IT LOOKS LIKE I,M NOT FAMILIAR WITH TEX BUT LOOKS LIKE A KNIFE

Rich in Houston

Nov 30, 2003
Houston,Katy TX.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro UMax, Cortez & Tejon, Fisher CZ20,
Garrett GTA 1000, AT Pro & AT Max. Minelab Equanox600
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Some kind of knife blade or spear point but that all I can say.

didijim

Dec 13, 2006
Lincoln City Oregon
Detector(s) used
garrett 500xta

this is just like one I found here in Oregon. I found it down by the river where it meets the lake. It is smooth on one side, fits in the palm of the hand, especially for a woman, and jagged on the other. there are no areas where there would be for the arrow or where it could go into a spear to be tied by the sinue.

that's my story, they used here for opening clams and or scraping hides.

blessings

Johnny X

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2005
Jerseyville Illinois
Detector(s) used
White's Spec. XLT..... My Eyes

I agree with rich. It would almost need some kind of base for me to even venture a guess. For now, I'd say a knife.

xstevenx

OP
OP
Texas Jed

Texas Jed

Jan 24, 2007
Houston Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Thanks for the input. On the top left you can see where the stone had been chipped and the color of the stone is visible (dark grayish). The remainder of the stone is white. Ive been told this is patina. is there anyway to determine age based on this patina. I was also wondering if maybe a portion of the stone could have been broken off some time ago. I raise this question based on the rear of the stone being so smooth, looking as if it had been dropped and crack in two pieces. Thanks to all who shed light on my find.

Rich in Houston

Nov 30, 2003
Houston,Katy TX.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

It petina alright. If the break is the same color as the point, than the break more than likely is pre-historic. you can tell if it is a recent break. Can't say whether you can Carbon test it or not. Maybe someone else will chime in you can tell you..

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX

i'd say a broken preform.broke when they were making a blade ect.discarded by them.nice find

Rich in Houston

Nov 30, 2003
Houston,Katy TX.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

It could be a broken preform as they must have broke a lot during the process of flaking. You just can't tell. I know I would hold on to it, display it and treat it as an artifact... Good find ! Makes you want to find more doesn't it?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread