Need help IDing this thing

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this detecting and need some help with it IMG_0005.JPG IMG_0006.JPG . It is a copper disk about the size of a half dollar, 1/4 inch thick, grooved like a pulley would be, and appears to have had a loop that is broken off as though it would have been hung from something. I have ruled out a clock pendulum bob, as I have worked on many clocks over the years and never saw a bob made this way. Any help is greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any chance it could be some type of wire bending jig? Maybe stick the end in the hole then wrap around?

I guess that could be a thought but copper is pretty soft to be used for that. The small ends of wire sticking out are pretty tight.

Upvote 0

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vintage compact that shrunk in your AZ sun... no idea really. Did you shine it up? Did it come out like typical old brass/copper? What type of site was it located, any history nearby?

Upvote 0

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks somewhat like an ear spool, but I doubt it. Did it come out of the ground all shiny?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vintage compact that shrunk in your AZ sun... no idea really. Did you shine it up? Did it come out like typical old brass/copper? What type of site was it located, any history nearby?

It was a crusty blob when I found it. It was found in a vacant lot where there used to be homes long ago. I used lemon juice and a brass brush to try to ID it, but it has nothing on either side.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks somewhat like an ear spool, but I doubt it. Did it come out of the ground all shiny?

It was a crusty blob when I dug it so I used lemon juice and a brass brush to see what it was.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread