Iron toy gun age and make?

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug this toy gun last week and was wondering I’f any toy hounds might be able to identify it?
84B8CB73-A010-4951-8673-50E894328DFF.jpeg
8816B23D-68FC-4BAC-86C8-333CF6284F67.jpeg

Almost done with electrolysis so would also like a little advice on preserving it.
3ABADCEF-8D15-4EC5-B8AD-57BD9D58D261.jpeg

Thanks for your help!

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow excellent I.d. ! It amazes me how members on here a big part of the time make such fast and accurate identifications, and here was old me who grew up in the childhood era of the kid cowboys of the 50s and 60s thinking iron or steel toy pistols don't remember them ever being made of anything other than pot metal. Next post boom positively identified. Congratulations to both of you.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much to Nhbenz for the super fast ID! I too have never seen a cast iron toy gun so i was pretty happy to pluck this one from the ground. It looks like everything is still intact including the trigger. You cant see the trigger in the picture because its pushed back. But its there.

Again, thank you!

Upvote 0

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much to Nhbenz for the super fast ID! I too have never seen a cast iron toy gun so i was pretty happy to pluck this one from the ground. It looks like everything is still intact including the trigger. You cant see the trigger in the picture because its pushed back. But its there.

Again, thank you!

Agree, great ID Nhbenz.

When I first looked at your gun, I remembered I got the Mattel Shootin Shell Derringer / Belt Buckle that would actually shoot a projectile (shootin shell).
Here's a pic...

belt buckle pistol.jpg

The derringer would pivot out when you flexed your stomach muscles.

Wish a had a time machine and could go back and bring a few cases of these back.

They also made rifles and pistols that were good replicas of real guns. Here's a pistol in the box. Wonder what the message to the parents said...

pistol in box.jpg

I had to laugh about the note on this pic about the safe bullets...

shootin shell pistol.jpg

Guess we didn't shoot our eyes out!

Upvote 0

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agree, great ID Nhbenz.

When I first looked at your gun, I remembered I got the Mattel Shootin Shell Derringer / Belt Buckle that would actually shoot a projectile (shootin shell).
Here's a pic...

View attachment 1793564

The derringer would pivot out when you flexed your stomach muscles.

Wish a had a time machine and could go back and bring a few cases of these back.

They also made rifles and pistols that were good replicas of real guns. Here's a pistol in the box. Wonder what the message to the parents said...

View attachment 1793566

I had to laugh about the note on this pic about the safe bullets...

View attachment 1793571

Guess we didn't shoot our eyes out!
Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I had the Shootin' shell Derringer belt buckle when I was a kid. Being a kid in the 1950's, toy guns were always a big part of the toys we played with. I had a number of different cap guns and pistols but my all time favorite was a gun that was made to look like the gun that Chuck Connors had when he played "The Rifleman" on TV. All us kids would have many "gunfights" with those cap guns and I'm pretty sure that none of us became criminals because of it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I had the Shootin' shell Derringer belt buckle when I was a kid. Being a kid in the 1950's, toy guns were always a big part of the toys we played with. I had a number of different cap guns and pistols but my all time favorite was a gun that was made to look like the gun that Chuck Connors had when he played "The Rifleman" on TV. All us kids would have many "gunfights" with those cap guns and I'm pretty sure that none of us became criminals because of it.

I remember that gun, didn't have one, but sure liked the show.

rifleman-set-1.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep...loved playing cops and robbers cowboys and Indians and of course war! Can’t do that today. Poor children have to stay inside and let someone else shape their imaginations for them.

Upvote 0

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep...loved playing cops and robbers cowboys and Indians and of course war! Can’t do that today. Poor children have to stay inside and let someone else shape their imaginations for them.

Ain't that the truth...….glued to some type of electronic device

Upvote 0

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I remember that gun, didn't have one, but sure liked the show.

View attachment 1793577

That's the one.....As for the show, we watched that show every week. I remember that my mother wasn't too fond of Johnny Crawford who played the son because of the way he said "pa". He kind of pronounced it as "paw" and it drove her crazy...…..LOL

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread