Need help. Just cant catch a break...

• Thread starter doctorgrant2001
  • Start date
D

doctorgrant2001

Need help. Just can't catch a break...

Hi. I have been looking for sites to metal detect around Jacksonville, NC. I have searched and searched and I can't find anything or anyone to help. I've tried the beaches and only found 50 cal. rounds... I am a corpsman with a Marine unit and I do this in my spare time. Also if you know of any close islands worth searching please let me know. Please email me at [email protected]. Thank you very much and HH.

Upvote 0

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Need help. Just can't catch a break...

I would et to the local Library or the Historical society and I think someone there can send you in the right direction ...Talk to some of the old timers regarding some of the old parks and groves that have long been gone....Hope this helps..... ???

jersey junkie

Jan 14, 2006
new jersey

just drive around and look for old houses. Get off the main roads and explore. For me that is some of the best parts of this hobby. Ask around town halls. the locals ussually know where the old places used to be.

HH

mark
www.gas50.com

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If you are lucky enough to have access to the Army post, there are many WWII barracks there, should be lots of silver there. HH, Mike

Southcacalaky

Silver Member
Oct 2, 2005
Summerville, South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesoro "Eldorado", Whites "Beach Hunter ID",

Research is a main key in findind old places to hunt. All responses are great. Email me if you would like to, Glad to help HH Art...

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hey Doc - There are always parks, schools and sports fields...they can produce some good finds.

HH!
TBGO

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat

Knock on doors of older houses, especially those in need of remodeling. Nice manicured lawns are pretty much a NO! But then again, you never know. Good luck out there. There are more places to search than you can shake a stick at. Just up the street I saw a driveway torn up at an older house. Got permission to hunt the same day it was tore up! unfortunately, I can't get there to hunt it for a couple days. They said no problem, it'll be a week or more before they pour.

Use your imagination.... drive around a bit.... pretty soon you'll be overwhelmed at the amount of spots to detect! good luck and HH!

Semper Fidelis

Gadget

Sep 10, 2005
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Check Google Earth. I see quite a few sites I'd be scoping out in your town.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey doc, how goes it? I was in the navy in another lifetime. I was a BM3. Lots of chipping paint.LOL I am in the AF now. If you like civil war stuff.Take a trip up to New Bern N.C. It will be a drive but you might get lucky or you should be able to find someone from this website that is close to you. Lots of good information on this site. You are in a historic spot just don't give up. There may be a club close also. Some people like detecting clubs some perfer to go it alone. Good luck and don't give up!!

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HI DOC ,YOU HAVE ACCESS TO THE PARADE GROUND AND SURROUNDING AREA . FULL DRESS UNIFORMS AND THE FAMILIES OF THE MEN PARADING IN THERE BEST CLOTHES. BET YOU FIND PLENTY OF COIN AND JEWELLY AND MAY A MEDAL OR 2

GOOD LUCK TINPAN

newtocoinhunting

Jan 16, 2006
Nebraska, USA

One place to start would be to visit the Onslow County Public Library in Jacksonville and inquire about access to the digitial Sanborn Maps that they subscribe to. The maps (subscribed to by a number of libraries in NC) cover most larger towns and give a detailed picture of where structures were back in time.

Onslow County Public Library
58 Doris Avenue East
Jacksonville, NC 28540-5197
Phone: 910.455.7350
Fax: 910.455.1661
Email: [email protected]

As a side note, the Sanborn Maps for North Carolina are available to the Onslow County Public Library through NCLive, a service offering the same data to 200 libraries in the state:
http://www.nclive.org/

The library should be able (if they choose to) give you the password to access the maps through NCLive over the Internet, and if it is the same digital Sanborn Map services I am familiar with through ProQuest, you should be able to print the maps and/or save them in Adobe PDF format to review later.

Hope that helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread