Need help to ID a few buttons

Diggin'PA

Feb 11, 2013
PA
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All-Pro, White's TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went through a jar of buttons my grandmother had always kept and I noticed a few buttons that looked military and was hoping someone could help ID them. The first two look naval... The eagle with anchor and cannon balls has no backmark and still has some thread through the loop in the back, the one with the anchor has "Waterbury Button Co." backmark and the button with the TE is stamped "Browning King & Co." . Any help is much appreciated.

Attachments

• button 1.jpg
    button 1.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 89
  • button 2.jpg
    button 2.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 107
  • button 3.jpg
    button 3.jpg
    460.4 KB · Views: 94
The first two buttons are definitely Civilian-usage "Fashion" buttons, not Military buttons.

The third button is also a Civilian one. I cannot tell you the meaning of the "TE" logo. But I know with certainty that the peculiar "lobate" lettering style (now called font) of the TE logo was popular on buttons from the late-1800s. The best book on dating buttons by their backmarks says the "Browning King & Co" dates from about 1860 through 1934 (when that company went out of business). It's very unusual for a brass 1-piece flatbutton to be from later than the 1840s... but I think we should rely on what the backmark-dating book says about the timeline of the Browning King Company's existence.

Upvote 0
thanks for the help

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back