Need help with identity

dakotama95

Feb 26, 2007
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, White's DFX
I found this coin at my parents house today and am not sure what it is or hold old it is. The town was settled in 1872. The coin is not magnetic. I found it about 6 inches deep. Hope this all helps.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• CIMG7695.JPG
    CIMG7695.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 296
  • CIMG7676.JPG
    CIMG7676.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 296
Upvote 0

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chinese cash coin, but not sure of the era. The first post will help you much more. Always good to find one, usually means that there is more old stuff around. Good stuff.
CurbdiggerCarl

OP
OP
dakotama95

dakotama95

Feb 26, 2007
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, White's DFX
Thanks for the link. Would this be a coin that you would find in the Illinois area? I think it is odd that I found it. But beats digging up nails!

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
curbdiggercarl57 said:
Chinese cash coin, but not sure of the era. The first post will help you much more. Always good to find one, usually means that there is more old stuff around. Good stuff.
CurbdiggerCarl

Those coins seem to turn up everywhere. I found one also this summer

Staci (Fargo ND)

Aug 29, 2006
Fargo, ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never found one personally, but I know of many Chinese coins found in this area due to bridge building. Chinese labor was used, so there have been quite a few coins found in the areas they would have been working or sleeping in the camps. Try to find out if this was the case in your area, and if there may have been any Chinese labor camps around the area you hunted.

Chico Rico

Dec 28, 2007
Virginia
I found one with my gramps in the late 80's in the back yard. Many WWII vets brought 'em back as souvenirs. Also many Chinese folks used these as currency in their circles. Nice find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions