Need Help With This Fort Location, Texas

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Here is an old fort area that I got to go hunt on about 41 years ago when I was about 10 years old, useing a one of the old D-Tex metal detectors. Being a kid I really didn't know what I was doing, but I did find a few Republic Of Texas military buttons. ( owners were friends of the familly) Over the years the property has been sold to the city for for housing and development. Houses now cover most of what you see except the fields where the fort was. I'm sure one day they will make a park out of it, but right now it is unmaintained and about waiste high in grass where it used to be plowed ground. This was a main fort that housed at least 350 troops at times, was attacted by Indians many times, but never defeated. This was Prarie land back then, so none of the trees were there when the fort existed. It was an important fort when Texas became a Republic. My question I have is if it were in existance for 5 years, they had to dump their trash somewhere. I am thinking it would be in the creek #1 since it was just a small rivene creek at the time. I figure thet got there water from the main creek so they wouldn't dump there. Also, where would be the most likely area to start detecting again? Any opinions would be welcome. We did go out there to find it, but the weeds were so high due to the rains we have been having, you couldn't swing your detector. Any thoughts of the dumping ares or possible good searching areas where others haven't? I am posting this elsewhere so I can get as many responses as I can. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• kFort1.JPG
    kFort1.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 818
  • kFort1.JPG
    kFort1.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 809

Jeremy K.

Aug 6, 2008
piggman1, would you mind telling me where-abouts this is? Looked for a city name in your post but couldn't find one. Any info on the specifics of how to get there would be appreciated.

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites MXT, Tesoro Tejon
Can you get a topo map for this area? I would look for a shallow area between creek1 and the main creek. Also, I would think that the soldiers would take baths no the down current of the main creek? maybe, I can not tell how big the creek is.

One thing you need to get is a long probing stick to try and locate the privy(s), that would be a good spot to dig up.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
Walk the land with a compass and look for deflections. If you find a large low spot with deflections you are most likely near the dump. Probe there. siegfried schlagrule

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Siegfried:

Could a TH'er mount two compasses face-up on the ends of a wooden rod - say a yard apart? It would have to be wood or plastic.

Then while walking and holding it level the two compasses might point to the depression you spoke out?

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
piggman whatever you do, don't reveal the location of this site.

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know where the site is, the OWNERS will not allow MDing as I already checked last year. I have been there, covertly a couple of times and didn't find much but current shell casings. Saw the plaque for the fort that was put there in the 1930's and the flagpole as well. That is where I found a rock the shape of a dogs head. The time I went there last year in March weeds where knee high and hard to swing the detector. The whole property is being sold for $18,000,000. Part of the property is going to be developed and the city is also going to make a park on part of it. The ONLY wat to get there is park in a subdivision, cross the creek and gove over a broken down barbed wire fence. The rest of the property surounding it has fence around it.

Adventure

Feb 18, 2009
Piggman,

Did you ever figure this out??

Since i see you have an idea of where the fort was and the military camp. Did you have a drawing or something similar?

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Do the research to find if the soldiers were paid in gold coin. If so it
might be a bonanza if you work it without daylight. Dollar gold coins
give a crummy signal sez a bright TH'er who somehow got on a fort
site others gave up on.
Gotta work fast before The Work starts. This might be the One that
keeps giving. Don't think disc. Get hold of a one & five dollar gold.
Call the pawns to look for them. Practice with your detector's response
in all-metal, lowest disc.
Soldiers gamble on blankets on the ground or without. Tents are
where the action was. If you can find the dumps great but focus on
where coin were most likely dropped.
In high grass you will have to flatten it with your foot while you slowly
detect every square inch of the tent locations. Use a headlamp and
always be ready to evacuate.
If you have a loyal buddy TH'er and need the support, take him/her
along. That is if you don't mind the split.
And keep us plugged in. We will be pulling for you.
A lot of guys post these great leads and never follow through. If you
back out let someone else have it before it's too late.
In the Spirit of Texana, lastleg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread