Need Metal Identification Help

Ryan1979

Mar 8, 2007
St. Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, ACE250
Hello everyone,

I've been finding more and more things as I get used to my MD. Here is the problem: I don't know how to tell which type of metal an item is. I don't mean as a reading on the MD, but after I've found them and they're cleaned up. My MD doesn't differentiate like some of the newer models.

I've been finding lots of old pieces of metal, like belt buckles, drawer pulls, and other rusted over stuff. How does a person tell what kind of metal it is such as copper, brass, steel, iron, etc? Is there an easy way to identify what type of metal it is, if it's crusted over and somewhat dirty. Lots of the stuff is still 'rusty' even after I give it a little cleaning. So, how do you tell if say a belt buckle is brass, copper, or some other type of metal?

Thanks in advance, Ryan

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Well Ryan, this may not be easy without writing two or three whole pages of info.

Lets start here;

Iron and steel will rust (stainless steel is almost totally rust resistant, with some exceptions, but it can become stained.(nails,nuts&bolts,screws,hinges,chains, horseshoes,1943 lincoln cents)

Lead is heavier, but is soft and can turn black in water, or white in well drained soils. (bullets,fishing weights, joint fillers)(some bullets have a copper jacket over the lead)

Aluminum is lighter and is more likely to corrode to a white powder(pulltabs,screw caps,some foreign coins,some tokens, some modern roofing nails)

Brass/Bronze is more of a yellow color and turns green in water and soil. It is more durable out in the weather and has a higher degree of wear resistance than some other metals(all kinds of hardware and decorative pieces,bearings,many foreign coins,boat hardware,the statue of liberty) (some knobs and handles can be made of brass that has steel threads that can rust.

Plated metals; Many steel items and other metals are plated with various other metals because it is cheaper to produce and/or makes them more restistant to weather(bumpers and trim,bathroom fixtures,hardware)
If you find what you think is a brass or copper item that has rust breakouts on it, its probably plated.
Gold plated jewelry is a common find, but is not always junk. Sterling silver is often used as the base metal that is plated with gold.

OK! Hope this helps a little. As I was typing I came up with an idea for you. Go to a hardware store and have someone show you the various hardware items they stock. They have lots of different metals, brass bronze,copper aluminum, and plated items. As time goes by, you will become more familiar with the different metals. Post pics and ask questions. If anyone else has anything to add or correct, it would be helpful. Thanks!

Good luck!!...............HH

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Well done...

maybe we can show some examples... which I am willing to do when I have more time to find or take pictures... it's beddy-bye time for me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread