SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok so on December 28, 2012 I dug an 1832 Capped Bust Half Dime. Ever since then I haven't even washed the dirt off and it's been a coin mount (2x2). Should I take it out and run it under water and get the dirt off? You can't see the front with the dirt on it. Would there be any harm in doing this after 9 months? I'm thinking about putting it in a slab. I would love to see it without the dirt! Should I do this or not? It was my first silver.

image-1748530689.jpg

image-1900409568.jpg

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let it soak in water first since it's dry dirt to loosen it up some, then just put under the sink and let the running water take the dirt off. Even with a coin that's worth money simply taking the dirt off won't hurt the value and is still considered uncleaned, just don't rub it with the dirt on it as that will put fine scratches on the coin and don't use any cleaning compounds just plain water and leave any oxidation that it has on it. HH

OP
OP
SCDigginWithAK

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let it soak in water first since it's dry dirt to loosen it up some, then just put under the sink and let the running water take the dirt off. Even with a coin that's worth money simply taking the dirt off won't hurt the value and is still considered uncleaned, just don't rub it with the dirt on it as that will put fine scratches on the coin and don't use any cleaning compounds just plain water and leave any oxidation that it has on it. HH

Would it take some details away? Just wondering thanks!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a nice coin but Im wondering if just brushing it with a dry toothbrush first might be the best solution?

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SCD, what a great first silver you found. As others have advised and I agree, soak it in water and then rinse. A very soft tooth brush would be ok also I think. It's a nice coin but perhaps because of the hole, it would be less of a concern to gently clean it. If it were my coin I would try to clean it up. If you do, throw a pic up so we can see how it turns out. HH

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you just want to clean it and intend to keep it for yourself, you probably can do pretty much what you want. Within reason of course.
luvdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread