Need opinions on detector purchase

Insoc

Greenie
Jan 4, 2011
Florida
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm looking at getting a detector, mainly for use on the beach and surf, so saltwater and rain resistant is a requirement since I need it to survive the South Florida summers. I'm overwhelmed by the selection available, so I'm not sure what's best for me? Back when I was a kid, my one friend had a Whites, this is back in the 70's and that is the only name I recognize. I see Minelab, Garrett and Fisher along with others.

I'm thinking at most, coins, jewelry and etc. will be the limit of what I will use it for. I would also like it to have future capability for use in soil and more inland at other locations in the US for relics.

Budget is around $500 or less, I will spend more if it's worth it for the future, that is not having to buy something else down the road. I just don't want to get something that's beyond my needs for newcomer abilities, but still not a toy or have something that will not work that great and take the fun out of it.

Thanks

Upvote 0

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the best bet for your price range is going to be the Garrett AT Pro. Waterproof to 10 feet, auto or manual ground balance (to balance out salt), very easy to use with a short learning curve, excellent target discrimination and separation. Check the Garrett forum for more info.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find a local club or just watch the others on the beaches, see what they're using. There should be at least one dealer close to you. Pay a visit to a dealer and see first hand what's in your range. You can make a comparison of several machines. After making a decision or narrowing it down to a couple, see what the dealer has for sale used, or check EBay or Craigslist. If you pick up a smokin deal on a used machine this will leave more of your budget for other essentials upgraded phones, sifter, digger etc.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Salt water beach detectors are not cheap. You can always try to buy used, but thats risky.

Probably the best detector for the beach which is in the price range you have set is the Detectorpro Wader (a VLF detector) at about $585.

I personally prefer PI detectors at the beach and dig everything, junk included, because beach digging is so much easier than dirt digging.

The Excalibur is considered by many to be King of the beach, but that's a $1200 detector.

OP
OP
I

Insoc

Greenie
Jan 4, 2011
Florida
Primary Interest:
Thanks for the replys, so Garret AT Pro seems like a popular on as of late from my searching, Detectorpro Wader does not have a display, and shopping used so far as options. I see it was mentioned that the Detectorpro Wader is VLF, is the Garrett AT Pro the same or ? I only just started reading up on the the different technologies available VLF, Pulse Induction and Multi-Frequency. None of which I truly understand yet, I did read another post that gave the opinion that Pulse Induction was more suited for Florida beaches. I don't mind buying used if I can find something that is in great condition that works.

How does the Detectorpro Wader work with just headphones? Truly a audible search function, no display so would it be too much for a beginner to figure out? Last time I played with a detector it was just an analog gauge with the tone.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Insoc said:
Thanks for the replys, so Garret AT Pro seems like a popular on as of late from my searching, Detectorpro Wader does not have a display, and shopping used so far as options. I see it was mentioned that the Detectorpro Wader is VLF, is the Garrett AT Pro the same or ? I only just started reading up on the the different technologies available VLF, Pulse Induction and Multi-Frequency. None of which I truly understand yet, I did read another post that gave the opinion that Pulse Induction was more suited for Florida beaches. I don't mind buying used if I can find something that is in great condition that works.

How does the Detectorpro Wader work with just headphones? Truly a audible search function, no display so would it be too much for a beginner to figure out? Last time I played with a detector it was just an analog gauge with the tone.

The AT PRO is a VLF detector also. I did not list it as its usefulness in salt water is still being debated. I think the jury is still out on that one.

As for the Detectorpro, the control box is built into the headphones. I have used it and the weight is not a bother at all and the detector functions perfectly.

As to a lack of a TID screen, you don't need it. Most detectorists rely more on tones than the screen. Remmeber that the screen is only the detector telling you what might be there. It is not even 80% accurate. It is an aid, and not to be overly relied on.

OP
OP
I

Insoc

Greenie
Jan 4, 2011
Florida
Primary Interest:
Smudge said:
The AT PRO is a VLF detector also. I did not list it as its usefulness in salt water is still being debated. I think the jury is still out on that one.

As for the Detectorpro, the control box is built into the headphones. I have used it and the weight is not a bother at all and the detector functions perfectly.

As to a lack of a TID screen, you don't need it. Most detectorists rely more on tones than the screen. Remmeber that the screen is only the detector telling you what might be there. It is not even 80% accurate. It is an aid, and not to be overly relied on.

What about PI? Any advantage?

I read that the quality of the Headhunter Wader is so so? This was on another forum and the dates were a few years old, did they improve quality since?

OP
OP
I

Insoc

Greenie
Jan 4, 2011
Florida
Primary Interest:
Birddog 1 said:
I second what THtx said. I have one and I love it.

Birddog 1

Looks like the AT Pro is popular, is that because it's relatively new or that it just works? I watched quite a few videos on youtube. I also looked at the Minelabs Etrac but a bit out of my price range. I'm sure some people get lucky and find some good items that will pay for their detector in an instant, can't say I'm that lucky.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I have been using a Whites surfmaster PI for 10 years, same detector, with no problems. I have pulled out Diamond/gold rings at 18".
Look on E Bay or T-Net classified. It is practical turn on and go. Just set the two knobs on the average"P" setting. They even pick up coins in black sand.
As for price, you can get one for well below your listed price. The only thing that will go deeper is a J W Fisher pulse 8x and they are $1800.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Florida beaches have less mineralisation than most (except up the north) so you can get better results with VLF/TR's than many other places and the old Mac 1 Turbo and the newer Aquasound TR gave really good results that they would not manage on blacksand and mineralisation elsewhere.

Headhunters were revamped a few years back. The wires would fail as the earcups would rotate round when you took them off and strain things. The redesign stopped this but they still tend to need a little more care than other designs. VLF or Pulse models available.

The J.W.Fisher is very expensive and designed as a diving machine. The more depth of water over the coil the higher u/S setting is needed but for sensitivity you need a low u/S. So you can do better with a cheaper P.I. because its lower u/S gives greater sensitivity to thin chains, engagement rings etc. Aquastar 10u/S, Whites Dual Field is, Tesoro Sandshark 22, Headhunter P.I. 15 to 50.
As for the original Whites Surfmaster they can be picked up cheap as lots were sold but on price not performance. When they came out with the last version (the Pro) they made the mistake of removing the pulse delay and fitting a gain control. This led to it being more unstable in various hunting conditions. Mr.Bill (Bill Crabtree) offered modifications and made the detector what Whites should have made in the first place. You could look for one of these.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Insoc said:
Smudge said:

What about PI? Any advantage?

I read that the quality of the Headhunter Wader is so so? This was on another forum and the dates were a few years old, did they improve quality since?

The biggest advantage to PI is depth. It's fantastic. It's biggest drawback is a lack of discrimination. You will dig every metal target from nails and bobby pins to gold and coins. Experts with PI's say that with time you tell by the tone what you've likely hit, but I'm no where near that expereinced yet.

The quality of the Wader, I think, has dramatically improved. You can check another forum which has its own Detectorpro forum and see most of the users are happy with theirs. Detectorpro's biggest problem is they used to advertise their detectors as waterproof to 100 feet. That just wasn't the case. They have since wisely changed their description as water proof to 6 feet, so you can drop them in the water and not worry, just don't go diving with them. I hear they are working on a waterproof detector that is certified to 100 feet. Time will tell on that.

The only issue I've heard of regarding the Wader is that it can false a bit in when waves wash over the coil, but turning down the sensitivity a little resolves the problem.

OP
OP
I

Insoc

Greenie
Jan 4, 2011
Florida
Primary Interest:
Frankn said:
I have been using a Whites surfmaster PI for 10 years, same detector, with no problems. I have pulled out Diamond/gold rings at 18".
Look on E Bay or T-Net classified. It is practical turn on and go. Just set the two knobs on the average"P" setting. They even pick up coins in black sand.
As for price, you can get one for well below your listed price. The only thing that will go deeper is a J W Fisher pulse 8x and they are $1800.

Yes I did read that the Whites Surfmaster PI got some great reviews, just don't see them for sale used or online by too many places, Kellyco is the only place I see that list it, looks like $500+. Seems though that it does find everything at great depths with a caveat that you can't zone much out and requires a lot of digging which may yield pull tabs and etc. Thing with the beaches here, most of the sand is restored often and much get's buried under feet of new sand which this may come in handy for. Must be a challenge to dig over 12" in the surf though?

U.K. Brian said:
Florida beaches have less mineralisation than most (except up the north) so you can get better results with VLF/TR's than many other places and the old Mac 1 Turbo and the newer Aquasound TR gave really good results that they would not manage on blacksand and mineralisation elsewhere.

Headhunters were revamped a few years back. The wires would fail as the earcups would rotate round when you took them off and strain things. The redesign stopped this but they still tend to need a little more care than other designs. VLF or Pulse models available.

The J.W.Fisher is very expensive and designed as a diving machine. The more depth of water over the coil the higher u/S setting is needed but for sensitivity you need a low u/S. So you can do better with a cheaper P.I. because its lower u/S gives greater sensitivity to thin chains, engagement rings etc. Aquastar 10u/S, Whites Dual Field is, Tesoro Sandshark 22, Headhunter P.I. 15 to 50.
As for the original Whites Surfmaster they can be picked up cheap as lots were sold but on price not performance. When they came out with the last version (the Pro) they made the mistake of removing the pulse delay and fitting a gain control. This led to it being more unstable in various hunting conditions. Mr.Bill (Bill Crabtree) offered modifications and made the detector what Whites should have made in the first place. You could look for one of these.

Thanks for the info. With this being a new hobby for me, the selection of devices is mind boggling for me. Since I'm looking for a do it all detector, would I be safe with a VLF if I wanted to go elsewhere and detect, like in heavy clay soil or areas of the Northeast US (non-coastal). I know I could always buy two machines for the job, but I kinda like to start small and have a good all around detector.

Smudge said:
The biggest advantage to PI is depth. It's fantastic. It's biggest drawback is a lack of discrimination. You will dig every metal target from nails and bobby pins to gold and coins. Experts with PI's say that with time you tell by the tone what you've likely hit, but I'm no where near that expereinced yet.

The quality of the Wader, I think, has dramatically improved. You can check another forum which has its own Detectorpro forum and see most of the users are happy with theirs. Detectorpro's biggest problem is they used to advertise their detectors as waterproof to 100 feet. That just wasn't the case. They have since wisely changed their description as water proof to 6 feet, so you can drop them in the water and not worry, just don't go diving with them. I hear they are working on a waterproof detector that is certified to 100 feet. Time will tell on that.

The only issue I've heard of regarding the Wader is that it can false a bit in when waves wash over the coil, but turning down the sensitivity a little resolves the problem.

I see, so a lot of digging of junk basically with a PI. I won't be scuba diving with a detector, I'm not up on the latest laws but isn't it banned in Florida coastal waters anyways? I think you can go from the dune to the crest of the waterline, yet I have seen people up to their chest detecting here, not sure if they just got away with it or ?

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PI detectors are a great choice for certain areas but remember they have NO discrimination. Most detectors, though not designed for it, will perform adequately in the dry sand areas of beaches. It's when you go into the water you start needing specialized detectors. Here is a link with some info to help you sort through all the sales hype.

By the way, welcome :hello:

http://metaldetectingworld.com/index.shtml

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is a stretch of Treasure Coast beaches north of Sebastian that will not allow detecting in the water (salvaging rights for the 1715 Treasure Fleet were sold to one company that has exclusive rights), but you can detect the dry and wet sand up to the water no problem.

All other stretches of Florida beaches are open to detecting unless there is some local ordinance fordbidding it, and there aren't many of those thank goodness.

OP
OP
I

Insoc

Greenie
Jan 4, 2011
Florida
Primary Interest:
CWnut said:
PI detectors are a great choice for certain areas but remember they have NO discrimination. Most detectors, though not designed for it, will perform adequately in the dry sand areas of beaches. It's when you go into the water you start needing specialized detectors. Here is a link with some info to help you sort through all the sales hype.

By the way, welcome :hello:

http://metaldetectingworld.com/index.shtml

Thanks, the link you posted is very informative! Just what I was looking for, should keep me busy for a while and answer a lot of questions.

Smudge said:
There is a stretch of Treasure Coast beaches north of Sebastian that will not allow detecting in the water (salvaging rights for the 1715 Treasure Fleet were sold to one company that has exclusive rights), but you can detect the dry and wet sand up to the water no problem.

All other stretches of Florida beaches are open to detecting unless there is some local ordinance fordbidding it, and there aren't many of those thank goodness.

So you can go up to the water or in the water? Knee deep? I looked at John D. MacArthur Beach State Park and it's off limits for detecting. Other then that, there is a lot of beach head available reason why I'm interesting in getting a detector.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Up to the water.

Though I imagine getting your feet wet won't ruffle any feathers either. ;D

OP
OP
I

Insoc

Greenie
Jan 4, 2011
Florida
Primary Interest:
Smudge said:
Up to the water.

Though I imagine getting your feet wet won't ruffle any feathers either. ;D

This guy is on South Beach, how did he manage this?

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value=" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
basically if its a federal park area (both the land and sea area in fed parks are NO! detecting or a "leased" out 1715 wreck site area by the state ( near the 1715 wreck sites) ithat area is NO also--- the "lease" areas --are state permitted shipwreck salvage sites --some of which are close to shore (they get so many feet from the center of the lease area as "their" exclusive hunting area in the waters) --if the wreck is close to shore --their "exclusive" rights area can go to the waterline basically)

most all non federal park public beach areas in florida you can water detect in shallow waters (say 10 foot deep) no sweat -- now scuba diving a wreck site with a metal detector thats a whole differant matter , the state would frown upon that.

even around the 1715 wreck site areas -- "on the beach" from the water line to dunes foot is metal detectible by joe public lil guy ( most beaches in florida --waterline to dune foot is thought of as "public property")--so many folks try their luck --this general area has of course been worked over hard many many times thru the years by lots of folks --but every now and then it still coughs up a coin or two.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread