Need opinions...

tj.cama

Jan 2, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Have a 1800 acre farm in central nj that there was a revolutionary war skirmish on. Found one marked grave today during a quick hunt and another marker that I'm not sure what it is. Maybe a marker to something buried? My ctx3030 went off like a Roman candle over the small one, which is depressed approximately 2 feet down and is a square depression. Not rectangular like other graves in the area. Any opinions? Is it a marker for something buried? I don't think it's a grave.

Additionally I've been detecting the farm for 18 years and specifically this area for the last 5. I usually run a roam3 and a GoPro and have had evp's captured while detecting. One of which capturing a distant sound of a volley of fire and the other a evp I had no clue until I showed my uncle who is fluent in German. It says, "voraus" which is German for advance. This would make sense since hessians were fighting the militia during the skirmish. With this said, I just have a gut feeling that these are graves. I'm just questioning the smaller one. My father who I got into the hobby recently thinks that if the hessians were transporting something valuable, the militia loyal to the continental army (who slaughtered the hessians according to records) would have buried it and left to get reinforcements to retrieve it at a later time. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1482798427.560656.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1482798444.214087.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1482798507.945852.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1482798524.603076.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1482798560.521624.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1482798580.551410.jpg

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
being full of opinions I will accommodate you

do I even want to know what evp's are?

I see nothing that after 200 years looks gravelike, dig till you find a bone

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And if you find a bone, cover the hole and dig elsewhere. Stick to detecting. There's probably a law against digging up something like that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tj.cama

Jan 2, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Evps are electronic voice phenomenon. They are voices or sounds that aren't heard by the human ear, but occur on other frequencies captured by audio recording.

ncFloridaBum

Dec 19, 2016
Starke, FL
Detector(s) used
Five finger probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it were me I'd leave it alone. Wouldn't even think twice about it..... Ok maybe I'd have one tiny peak. [emoji57]

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try to find the belt plates, buttons and musket balls. Belt plates would not have been buried with a body, but reused with the belt and cartridge box it went to.

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't have any thoughts on EVP's.. those or Sasquatch.

The small hole could very well be a child's grave site? Or, buried treasure/artifacts. I think it's going to be a personal call on your part. You can certainly excavate a site with respect and if human remains are found; backfill , pay respect and leave a proper marker.

My opinion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread