Need real encouragement.

jybgess

Tenderfoot
Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is my first post. I started CRH after a co-worker told me about it last Friday. I live in NC. Anyway, last Friday after work i went to my local bank. I asked if they had a box of dimes. I was told yes but why do you want a box of dimes? I told the tell I owed $250 worth of child support. She looked at me like I was the devil. I told her I was just kidding and that I collect coins. She got be a box. I then asked her if she had any Half's. She said I could get $160 worth. I took them. Long story short. I got Nada from the dimes and 2 1964 Kennedy's and 1 1967 Kennedy. That was last Friday. Since then, I went through $1250 of dimes and over $1000 worth of half's. Only thing I got was a 1976 Kennedy what was 40% silver because it had a S mark. Thats 6 skunk boxes of dimes and 2 skunk boxes of Half's. I hit Wells Fargo, BofA, BB&T, and others. Did I just have beginners luck? Should I just keep on trying? I need some words of Encouragement. I don't expect to find silver every time but after reading about people getting 1 silver dime per box, I feel a bit cheated.

Upvote 0

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah. Beginners luck. Sounds like you're in a bad spot. :/
JUST KIDDING!
that first amount of halfs was good. People average around 1 silver per a box. The 1976S is a proof unless a silver edge. The 64s are real good scores. Keep it up! Gotta push through the skunks to get to dream boxes. One guy on here, TimZim, found ~1000 ounces of silver last year. You can keep it up. Good luck!
Wickaboag.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to the site homie, keep going after halves. out of all the times i've C/R/H''d, I never, ever, got a 40% bicentennial. consider yourself to be in the club of an elite few. Dimes have all been 2012p's for me lately, ALTHOUGH customer wrapped dimes have been treating me pretty dang well.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
You did good on the halves the first round. You will find out soon enough if this hobby is for you, I don't find much but I started almost 35 years ago, and I'm still crazy.

OP
OP
J

jybgess

Tenderfoot
Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 1976 has that S mark on it. I went to PNC bank and they gave me a few rolls. I almost sent it back because I thought anything after 1970 was not silver. It just looked like the other silver coins I found. I looked it up on the internet and I guess if it has the S mint mark, its silver. I'll keep on pushing and maybe I'll find some dimes this week. Anyone dumping in the Bragg area?

Last edited:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
The 1976 has that S mark on it. I went to PNC bank and they gave me a few rolls. I almost sent it back because I thought anything after 1970 was not silver. It just looked like the other silver coins I found. I looked it up on the internet and I guess if it has the S mint mark, its silver.
1976 S in both silver and non-silver.

OP
OP
J

jybgess

Tenderfoot
Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1976 S in both silver and non-silver.

I didnt know that.. I just did the ring test and it sounds the same as my 67 Kennedy and nothing like the clad one i have. Its 11.6 Grams.

Vergie

Greenie
Nov 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as i know, If it doesn't have a silver edge, it isn't silver. It's still a proof through which is worth a couple bucks. Good find worth saving for sure.

CRH isn't easy and it's getting harder. gotta have lots of patience.

HH

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I didnt know that.. I just did the ring test and it sounds the same as my 67 Kennedy and nothing like the clad one i have. Its 11.6 Grams.
1976 S silver clad - 11.50 grams, 1976 S copper nickel clad - 11.34 grams.
Sounds like yours is silver, nice, I've yet to find one.

OP
OP
J

jybgess

Tenderfoot
Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1976 S silver clad - 11.50 grams, 1976 S copper nickel clad - 11.34 grams.
Sounds like yours is silver, nice, I've yet to find one.

Nice. The edge looks just like the 67 I have. I get pissed after every skunked box of dimes/Halfs but I still cant wait for the next box. I wish I started this years ago. What do you guys think about Quarters? Am I right by saying those hard the hardest to find silver in????

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also mixing it up helps. Sometimes if I hit a dry patch I switch from one denomination to another. Maybe quarters are hot in your some right now. And if all else fails get a box of cents. Never pullled a skunk from a box o cents

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice. The edge looks just like the 67 I have. I get pissed after every skunked box of dimes/Halfs but I still cant wait for the next box. I wish I started this years ago. What do you guys think about Quarters? Am I right by saying those hard the hardest to find silver in????
If you have to ask, you'll never know. There's only one way to find out.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This isnt a get rich quick scheme. People see clips on YouTube and the history channel getting 11 silver halves in one roll.....ive done tens of thousands and not once gotten more than a few in a roll (mwr's) and my best BOX had 11 keepers. This is a hobby that every once in awhile makes you money, but mostly costs you money. The thrill is finding something valuable for "free," free in quotations because gas, wrappers, time, shorted rolls and teller gifts are all costs of this hobby.

Do it because you enjoy the thrill of the hunt.....

smitty58d

Feb 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your boxes of dimes are they brinks or loomis? I found in my area brinks dimes aren't good. Might be because they get a lot of coins from coin star who rejects silver. Loomis I have averaged 2 per box. CWR have always been my best.

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
probably done 100 boxes and i average under .6 per box. only found 3 90 percenters. the odds are not in your favor. do it for fun.

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't always rely on the edges. I found an ugly '69 half last night that had a mostly brown/copper edge.

OtlFrutiger

Apr 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're really not doing badly. That percentage is close to a normal week for most.

Jan 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This "hobby" is a good way to make a quick buck for some,myself i do it because I find it fun ordering 50,000 in coins and looking through them to see what I can find. I would suggest doing more volume and reusing the box and rolls, if your careful you can unroll the top of the rolls and put them back in after looking at them. You can also simply cut the side and look for silver edges.

Good luck

Vergie

Greenie
Nov 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you represent the banking industry pretty well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread