baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have volunteered to search a backyard for a white gold ring that they are sure the dog ate back in 2007. I have an ACE 250. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas about how deep it might be or what I should discriminate? Would the matching ring be accurate in determining what the machine should be set on? I have always wanted to find a lost ring for someone and am hoping that my ACE 250 will be good enough for the job. Thanks for any help!!

Upvote 0

joeman

Mar 19, 2011
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro, BH 840 VLF-TR
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
baylorhall said:
I have volunteered to search a backyard for a white gold ring that they are sure the dog ate back in 2007. I have an ACE 250. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas about how deep it might be or what I should discriminate? Would the matching ring be accurate in determining what the machine should be set on? I have always wanted to find a lost ring for someone and am hoping that my ACE 250 will be good enough for the job. Thanks for any help!!

Well, seeing as how MOST people are supposed to 'Clean up' after their Dog, I would assume that they took it upon themselves to not only throw it out, but also 'go through' the POOP. If they still didn't find it after a week, my guess is that it isn't there... If searching, I wouldn't use any 'discrimination' and dig any and ALL signals, especially those that are less than 3 inches below the surface. If the Yard is 'massive', I would dig out a 3" wedge, and then put a similar ring into said hole (wrapped in some cellophane of course) and then cover it up and see what you get... That might help narrow things down a bit.

Cheers,

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
A gold ring goes missing in 2007.
After some theorizing and confabulating, the owners arrive upon the concept that indeed, "the dog musta ate it".

Yeah. I wouldn't be putting too much faith in finding this one...

OP
OP
baylorhall

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They know the dog ate it because both rings were missing and they found the wedding band on top of the dog's pile of poo! He said he "sifted" through every thing he could find in the yard to no avail. I went and searched, but was not able to find it. Today is their anniversary, so I was very disappointed that I couldn't help him out. :(

Randyd

Mar 8, 2011
Kalifornia
if the dog goes mainly in one area of the yard, start there
then look where it would fly if hit by a lawn mower or an edger
then if there is ivy or ground cover plants that the dog could poop in, detect that area
(that could be a reason it wasn't found, the dog left a pile in the bushes)
then grid off the rest of the yard and go.
depending on how bad you want it, I wouldn't dig anything. in the lawn, just scrape and look.

I found a ring that was lost playing football. The son had his dad's wedding ring on a chain around his neck.
(I have no idea why and didn't ask!!!!) I had the kids show me what they were doing and where they were when they lost it.
They had looked for weeks.

I looked, then got the detector out. Within a minute I had a signal and there it was, right on
top of the ground in plain sight. (well worn bermuda lawn with some dead grass and dirt spots)

Nobody good believe that it was right on top like that.

R

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread