XLT question

Metalmole

Apr 6, 2011
New York
Detector(s) used
White's Classic ID, XLT spectrum, Coinmaster TR, Whites Prizm 3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have recently recieved permission to hunt an old fairground. I wanted to know what the best program to use to find possible lost jewelry. Would the tone program I have on it work or just use the plain jewelry program that come with it. Also what signals should I look for when searching for gold and silver jewelry?

Thanks
Mole

Upvote 0

oldcoon

Jul 10, 2010
Middletown, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The factory program "Coins and Jewelry" is plenty good enough. The White engineers knew what they were doing when they put those programs together.

OP
OP
Metalmole

Metalmole

Apr 6, 2011
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks and I did end up going to the fairgrounds and used the coin and jewelry for awhile and only found a sing quarter but I did try the tone program and found lots more coins

Thanks
Mole

gold fever pete

Jun 1, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend of mine showed me how to program a really good set up:
after you have chosen coins and jewelry go to menu
find basic set up then arrow through to ac
change that to 70 then squeeze trigger
go back to menu to basic setup and go to dc
change that to 35 squeeze trigger
it will go deeper.
walk slow swinging slow and watch your numbers. dig anything from 10 to 24 for pull tabs, nickels,slaw and gold rings

HAPPY HUNTING

OP
OP
Metalmole

Metalmole

Apr 6, 2011
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gold fever pete said:
A friend of mine showed me how to program a really good set up:
after you have chosen coins and jewelry go to menu
find basic set up then arrow through to ac
change that to 70 then squeeze trigger
go back to menu to basic setup and go to dc
change that to 35 squeeze trigger
it will go deeper.
walk slow swinging slow and watch your numbers. dig anything from 10 to 24 for pull tabs, nickels,slaw and gold rings

HAPPY HUNTING

Thanks will deffinatley try this out

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll have all the designers at Whites turning in their graves.

All the inbuilt programmes are pretty poor of necessity as they had to make them work in every part of the world. If your just going to tweak the sensitivity up then you may as well just use a basic bleep and dig machine.

If you have selected the tone to suit your hearing, then modulation or not again to suit your hearing on the deeper targets. Boost the target response setting. Decide if you really want to use "Coin and Jewelry" or "Relic". If the site has been detected before than give yourself more of a chance with Relic.

Use Pre Amp boost before AC or DC sensitivity. This will increase depth and meter performance. AC sensitivity can then be used as a fine tune to wring out a little more performance. DC should not need touching as Pre-Amp has increased the performance without the drawback of a DC increase (pinpointing goes wider and mushy and there's a loss of sensitivity to very small silver coins).
Recovery speed should be adjusted according to the amount of rubbish on site. Lower numbers increase depth but at the price of increased target masking from the surround nails/foil etc. If conditions are really bad then a smaller coil is called for. The Whites concentrics are not great in heavy rubbish.
Though with most detectors the more metallic scrap around the slower you should sweep many of the Whites at this time were four filter designs. This means if you sweep to slow performance reduces (both depth and discrimination).
Auto Trac speed may need adjusting or even being switched off depending on what works best.

You have one of the better land detectors ever made but it does need to be set to suit the conditions you will be working in. Best of luck. I'm travelling north this weekend and will be searching a similar type of site.

OP
OP
Metalmole

Metalmole

Apr 6, 2011
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the reponse U.K. Brian havent changed anything yet im still researching what to do.

suprdave

Aug 3, 2010
LeFlore County Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
99 percent of the time i just use tone id. its the fastest way to cover a lot of area and it misses very little as far as i am concerned. its great on coins and jewelery. try it and see if you agree. suprdave

OP
OP
Metalmole

Metalmole

Apr 6, 2011
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went and just used the tone and I think i will stick with that I can "weed" out the aluminum cans pretty quickly now
thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread