lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Need some assistance in ID'ing this ? coin /? pendant / ? metallic content

I found this item in dry sand at the beach this morning..about 6" deep.

It was found in the same area where I recently found a 1837 Canada Bank Token half penny; and a 1892 Commemorative Chicago Exposition silver Columbian Half Dollar ...the first commemorative coin issued by the United States.

I'm thinking that maybe someone lost their coin collection ..I think this iron etc. laden dirt/sand was trucked onto the beach from some other location.

Here's a pic of the item in question.

I would deeply appreciate any help in ID'ing it .

thank you for looking

Lorraine

DSCF1924.JPG

DSCF1926.JPG

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
As mentioned in other forums on TNet, it is a half reale. The date is either 65 or 85. 1665 or 1685. Don't be afraid to clean it. I've seen your work with other silver items.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Definetly a cob! Nice!

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Thank you, Diver Down

Lorraine

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
thank you, Steve

Lorraine

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Thanks, Debby...this is the first Spanish cob that I have found in my 6 yrs. detecting.

Lorraine

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If it is copper it is a maravedi, if it is silver it is a silver reale. If you told the size and possible weight in grams that will help. Did you clean it or verify if copper or silver? They used silver mixed with copper, and some years/mints etc there would be a higher mix of copper than normal, and those years the coins do get more eaten up underwater by the dissimilar metal mix, and the have a greener corrosion. usually the whole year was like that. The ones with higher silver, less copper would corrode black and not get as eaten away.

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
If it is copper it is a maravedi, if it is silver it is a silver reale. If you told the size and possible weight in grams that will help. Did you clean it or verify if copper or silver? They used silver mixed with copper, and some years/mints etc there would be a higher mix of copper than normal, and those years the coins do get more eaten up underwater by the dissimilar metal mix, and the have a greener corrosion. usually the whole year was like that. The ones with higher silver, less copper would corrode black and not get as eaten away.

Thank you very much for that info, Steve.

This coin gave off a nice high sound so I'm thinking that it is silver.

The weight is 1.23 gms. and I've decided at this time not to clean it..will most likely wear it as a pendant the way it is.

Lorraine

Last edited:

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much for that info, Steve.

This coin gave off a nice high sound so I'm thinking that it is silver.

The weight is 1.23 gms. and I've decided at this time not to clean it..will most likely wear it as a pendant the way it is.

Lorraine
VERY AWESOME FIND. WORK THAT AREA 10 FOLD.
You may want to look into how to preserve it from further oxidation or breaking down if you choose not to "SHOCK IT". Looks like someone had it around their neck at one point in time.
Way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
with that type of hole
mostly likely sewn into clothing - not a pendant
they did not have pockets - so would sew coins inside coats or vests and pluck off when need

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Thank you , Tarpon 192

Lorraine