Need some help with identification of this object.

mk76

Greenie
Apr 30, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I don't know what this could be I tried many guesses but none of which seems to be correct. Maybe you could help me a bit with the purpose of this object. It appears to have no markings whatsoever and is made of brass I guess.

So far what I figured out is that this is a burner/torch/lamp of some kind. Looking at the back (photo with my thumb) we can see two valves to regulate air/fuel intake (left/right) I reckon, and a top opening to put the fuel in and a handle to hold it, maybe on the height of your eyes, that's why the piece of glass is there.

In the other photo what you can see is a big round cover that unscrews, you can find some gunk there as if some burnt remains of something. The top portion is a kind of a grill divided in half by the latch of some kind, the latch can be lifted up freely, there is no locking mechanism of any sort.

So whatever it is, clearly, the glass opening and the big plate was to protect the person who was looking at the flame, or through the flame?, maybe.

I'd appreciate any help guys.

lamp1.jpg lamp2.jpg

OP
OP
M

mk76

Greenie
Apr 30, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carbide viewer.

That makes some sense, the gunk thats inside might be carbide leftovers - front load - big opening for chunks of it. But what was it used for?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mk76

Greenie
Apr 30, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AKA Magic Lantern. It is the burner from a turn of the 20th C slide projector.

Definitely not the magic lantern I am sure of that, magic lanterns are built differently, they also have lenses. If you'd put a photo/negative here it'd get destroyed very quickly.

Upvote 0

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No expert by any means on hot water heaters but they have a similar setup around the pilot light, fuel, burner, little piece of glass to see if it is lit, curved shape.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Definitely not the magic lantern I am sure of that, magic lanterns are built differently, they also have lenses. If you'd put a photo/negative here it'd get destroyed very quickly.

OK, then possibly an egg candler.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mk76

Greenie
Apr 30, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, then possibly an egg candler.

Heheh, that'd boil an egg way before checking the contents. I am reconsidering the idea of a magic lantern part, maybe the part at the back was to slide the mirror in and the latch to divide the flame in two as some Mirroscopes had two lamp setup. I'll keep looking, thanks for the ideas!

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i feel like i have seen a ship morse code signal device similar to this before. BUt as i type this it doesn't feel right

Upvote 0

Rum Tide

Apr 28, 2019
The Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Yukon Coin Hustler II, Vibra-Tector 740, Pulse Dive (2), Equinox 600, Equinox 800 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Camera Mold?

I keep seeing an old mold for a film camera. Is the bottom open?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mk76

Greenie
Apr 30, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep seeing an old mold for a film camera. Is the bottom open?

That surely is not a mold. It is a burner/lamp of some kind as the insides are not empty and dials/valves operational. I'll try to upload some more photos later this week. Thanks for your input, though.

Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im guessing some kind of ancient camera or viewer of some sort

Upvote 0

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m kinda leaning toward a delivery hatch for in a door, you could peek out to see who’s delivering what.

Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking at it I'm thinking it's the guts from a magic lantern as well, but I can't find a match online anywhere. It looks really familiar though like I've seen something similar but I have no idea where

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread