Need some help with some of these.......

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok. I found a box of old watches in one of my house cleanouts. I know this is garage sale forum but I need exposure on this. quite a few say 10k gold filled and several have 14k stamped on them. Some are working but most are not. Please zoom in on picture and help a brother out. I just am not into watches so I need to decide what to do. sell locally or what? Any input and suggestions are appreciated.....Watch guys please respond. :laughing7: SAM_0570.JPG

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I need closer pictures. But I'll take a chance...send them all to me and I'll give you $100.00. LOL. A 14k small ladies watch case is usually at least 2-4 grams. So this is a nice lot just from what you wrote and the watches I can barely see. The red dial watch is what brand? I see a lot of potential.

OP
OP
kingskid1611

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The red dial watch is a caravelle...and closer pics I will try....

OP
OP
kingskid1611

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SAM_0572.JPG SAM_0571.JPG

Okay they two that I have broken down say 10k rolled gold and 14k respectively...the other photo all say 10k gold filled....these I have found so far in the pile.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
That 14k case is beautiful! Looks like a Bulova but I'm no expert. Definitely worth more than scrap. JimDon and the other watch hounds can chime in with their expertise. I'm a watch puppy with my limited knowledge.

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh wow... this would be so fun. 1. Separate into: Pocket watches, ladies, mens 2. Go through each one by one serparating gold from gold filled. Be careful, if you can't get one open, don't open it lol. Most of these will be worth more than scrap, so please don't scrap them! 3. Find good brands Omega, Bulova, Hamilton, etc. If it's some obscure brand that you can barely find results for it's probably nothing special.

If not post a picture of every single watch here and me or Jimdon can go through them lol!

That pocket watch on far right looks like it could be railroad grade, open it up!

OP
OP
kingskid1611

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh wow... this would be so fun. 1. Separate into: Pocket watches, ladies, mens 2. Go through each one by one serparating gold from gold filled. Be careful, if you can't get one open, don't open it lol. Most of these will be worth more than scrap, so please don't scrap them! 3. Find good brands Omega, Bulova, Hamilton, etc. If it's some obscure brand that you can barely find results for it's probably nothing special.

If not post a picture of every single watch here and me or Jimdon can go through them lol!

That pocket watch on far right looks like it could be railroad grade, open it up!

Okay I got several of those brands plus many more. Can you give me a list of "wanted" brands? I ended up finding a Rolex complete with band but not sure if its real. Also got a Bernus ? windup that is working.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kings... Since you have been a member here that I consider a "friend"... I will throw you some quick "tips" on cruising through watches to I.D. better from worse... fake etc.

They are easy learn once you know my basics.

You will end up with 3 piles in moments...

1 pile = crapola 10 or less watches... one pile of further i.d etc... and one of decent upwards.

Watches in general are not as "hot" overall as they once were... along with everything else.

Generally womans watches of the vintage / smaller nature ... even if gold filled OR gold... are not worth any more than scrap.

I will continue in RPT... if needed.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh.. to add / edit the above statement...

Small watches are out... period.

Buy only gold or gold filled as cheap as humanly possible.

Unless you ebay and want to wait around for someone who might be willin to pay whatever cheapo prices.

I personally do not ebay... other than looking up sold averages for a general price... and then I sell for 1/3 of this or less.

Which works well at best... overall.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch repair people are the ones buying most of the watches out there that are of the vintage nature now... collectors still lurk but unless its rare wont pay high.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As stated earlier separate them out. Ladies on one side then men's. Then separate them into tool watches such as chronographs and divers. Then take group pictures of each and post. The two watches that really resonates with me are the two divers in the center bottom. In particular the one in the very center bottom underneath a few watches.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post up a pic of the Rolex as well...

First hint on them... IF ORIGINAL band...

Take your fingers and feel the inside edge... IE: that lays against the arm...

IF sharpish... meaning it is not very smooth... this is first sign of a fake.

IF Smooth ... at least the band is pointing in a better direction but not indicative of a real or fake... it just passes this... and then we move on to next of MANY things.

IF a real Rolex... then this watch would be the "breadwinner" of the bunch in most cases.... this depends on the other watches an the "names" thereof".

BUT... before you get your hopes too high... I will just say...

Rolex is the most counterfeited watch of all time.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As stated earlier separate them out. Ladies on one side then men's. Then separate them into tool watches such as chronographs and divers. Then take group pictures of each and post. The two watches that really resonates with me are the two divers in the center bottom. In particular the one in the very center bottom underneath a few watches.

Also that stainless steel watch in the upper right-hand corner. That certainly looks like a Rolex bezel similar to the one I have on my 1954 Oyster perpetual. That is a good sign because those were not counterfeited as much

OP
OP
kingskid1611

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SAM_0574.JPG SAM_0573.JPG I will separate the watches as suggested later this week. The rolex is smooth and I found a number on it. Not sure how to look it up but will figure it out after work. Here are some more closeups for you to look at. Don't laugh these are the first photos that I have learned to do myself......wife is the tech not me......:icon_thumright:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next then...

Weight... does it have some "heft" to it ? or is it "light feeling" ? ? ?

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1456686 View attachment 1456687 I will separate the watches as suggested later this week. The rolex is smooth and I found a number on it. Not sure how to look it up but will figure it out after work. Here are some more closeups for you to look at. Don't laugh these are the first photos that I have learned to do myself......wife is the tech not me......:icon_thumright:

I don't want to get your hopes up but boy that sure looks like a 1950-1960 Oyster Datejust. Check between the lugs and let us know if there is a number there. It might be very light. Note the similarity in the bezel and how the crown stick out. Dials came in difference looks so that is not a issue. Yours might be a reference 6305. My instincts says this has a high probability of being the real deal.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1496148246.572170.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1496154488.541350.jpg

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed... since looking at your picture(s)... the band is already off... look for #'s in-between the lugs.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The watch "looks good" from here... but again... fakes exist in almost every Rolex produced... and the "quality" of the fakes vary widely... from the obvious... to the complex... that even a jeweler must remove the back to inspect the mechanism to know for sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread