Last edited:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool sign man; I have just over 10,000 square of down town Luxembourg city apartment fully decorated in my bikes, velomobiles and other HPV all with various themes.

Take some very fine rubbing compound and buff that sign out, build a nice frame for it and drop in a cheap set of color changing LEDs and bike sluts like me pay good money. The one in that other link is just boring, you want to avoid boring if your looking to sell.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i thought originality sold?

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
It often does, especially well know firms that are vintage, hand made firms that made a great product but went under for some reason.

About 14 months ago I got my hands on a 72 Campagnolo; fram, rims, seat post, bar, rizer and head badge all intact. I dropped about 2K into the bike and took down to someone in Italy who could do a match paint job from that bike; his shop ended up offering me 9,400 for the bike so I sold it; they finish the restoration and got 27K Euro for it.

I rarely ever sell my rigs, especially such a rig, I had a spot picked out on my wall for that one; but I am returning to the US soon and I just purchased 4 new Quatro´s and I am having a custom one built that is running me close to 31K. I also sold off a few extra velomobiles that where either raced out by now or extra ones.

Really just depends on what you have, this sign is sweet but to me it is like Aprilla; if it buffs out properly and the LEDs set up is done right then I would not be shocked to see it go between 200-400 bucks.

Some things are just more desired in their aged form, other things just need to go retro before they appeal enough to turn a good profit.

i thought originality sold?

btripp6

Jul 6, 2015
Grovetown, GA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, XP MI-6 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool looking sign!!

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Campagnolo, I recently bought one from a pawn shop for about $20 US !!! only problem was....it was NOT a campagnolo. Had all the stickers....italian rims, italian seat post, old shimano gear set. I tried to flip it next day, but big time fail. Didnt have any of the tell tale Club emblem on top of the forks or serial number stamped under the back of the frame....
sure dont know my bicycles! All I saw was a vintage bicycle with alot of period high end components. But not much lost. The rims alone I can flip to recover the $20

but cool sign! I love the suzuki brand.

Chub

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry mine is a Colgano ( also apologies for temporary hijack )

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Chub these days you can buy full sticker kits for everything, even rims.

But dude, if you try to flip one at your LBS (local bike shop) and they tell that stuff and then offer you a low ball price, just walk away. Go learn about the rig or come here and ask me if you want.

Had a racer down the street from me get killed back in 2007; he had no family so the state came in and sold off his stuff and his house. He had 7 road bikes worth in total of about 400K Euro and the State listened to an LBS about what they where worth, they said 50 Euro each. Then offered out of good faith to come by and clean out the entire bike shop, anything bike related for 1000 bucks.

Only took a week for the State to see the owner of that LBS conned the State for profit but by then he left to the US.

Very few LBSs I will listen to; I do lots of races in Europe and LBS owners show up like roaches trying to give you stuff, offer advice or assistance if you just sign here. Seen lots of LBS owner put on their rear end; if they where worth a crap they would have a horse in the race.

Blkcloud

Apr 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the early 80's a friend of mine had a Suzuki bicycle.. I've never seen one before or after.. amazingly he could ride a wheely on it for blocks and blocks .. with a tackle box in one hand and a fishing pole on the other..

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My siblings had porsche bicycles? back in the late 70s

chub

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
1972! Wow! I remember those Campy bikes as I was just getting into them at that very time. Cool post and info, thanks.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Seriously, do they still have them? Porsche has had a bike produced every year since 71. I know the Volkswagen Corporate event director and at every major Messe each year he has a large section set up just for display of the past Volks Corp bikes. In 2013 he gave me the Lamborghini Road Bike for my birthday, and then again in 2015 I got the Audi Road Bike for my birthday.

I never did get to race either one, or even ride them because they are both 58cm and with that geometry I need 61cm. But thats cool though because I got a bunch of the advert stuff the corp put out that year for those bikes so I could make a nice display in my apartment.

In 2011 I had gotten a Porsche mountain bike, but I broke the frame in like 2 hours. Sent it in for a new one and then never got on it when it came in, just put that on display.

My siblings had porsche bicycles? back in the late 70s

chub

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, these were more like dragster / kids bikes. Im not sure if it was a marketing thing...or just a sticker and a badge...I live on the other side of the world and havent seen them for 20 years but will try and find out.

Chub

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread