Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
gold tramp:

Either at the library or on the Internet find the Histories of Hubert Bancroft. California, Arizona and New Mexico, possibly Texas, Northern Mexico. They are huge multi-volume 19th works. His researchers used many original Spanish documents and he thoroughly covers the period.

Also - take a look at Bolton's book on Coronado - a classic. There are the expedition journals, as well. For example, de Vaca's narrative is a classic, as is Castenada's. The problem, of course, is that the original sources don't place events in a modern geographical context. For that reason, secondary sources (again, such as Bolton's) will probably be of more help to you.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

Also: Bolton's Spanish Exploration in the Southwest, 1542-1706 (1908; 1916). There is a recent Lakeside Classics edition of Coronado's Expedition journal - English on one page and Spanish on the other.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Bookaroo,
this gives me a reason worthy of making a town trip, a visit to the library.
sounds like the stuff I may be looking for. I just want to make sure in my adventures I don't miss anything.
GT..................

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
gold tramp:

You are, of course, quite welcome!

Bancroft's books were published in the 19th Century. They are out of copyright and available on the Internet.

Prof. Bolton's books are out- and still in-copyright. Chances are they will be available via Interlibrary Loan.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread