Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
My friend Sanddigger and I hit one of our old sites yesterday that has given up a pile of 1600s artifacts including probably 15-20 colonial silver coins over the last 10+ years. I wanted to run my new F75SE with the small coil in FA mode through the heavy iron patch to see what might turn up. I'll post my finds separately, but wanted to get some help on a possible early coin that Ina dug in a random spot away from the iron. When I first saw it I thought for sure it was a cut hammered coin, but upon closer inspection I could see that both sides appeared to be a skin overlayed on the outside of the disk. That certainly didn't look like a silver coin to me, but the markings look right although I can't seem to make out enough detail to make any kind of ID. The coin is about 17mm in diameter which is about the size of an Elizabeth half groat, but guess it could be later. I'm also wondering if this is some kind of counterfeit or token. Anyway, I'm unable to decipher this mystery item and was hoping Cru or someone else could help. Please click on the thumbnails to get a better view.

Attachments

• ina coin1a.jpg
    ina coin1a.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 113
  • ina coin1b.jpg
    ina coin1b.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 104
  • ina coin1c.jpg
    ina coin1c.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 124
  • ina coin1d.jpg
    ina coin1d.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 109
Upvote 1

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks counterfiet, not much to go on, but the detail I can see would rule out British, so its down to the other researchers.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably billon. Not much there to go on, so you may want to think about cleaning the corrosion off. A real quick lemon soak with some brushing would probably do it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread