Need some input!!!!!!!Help!!!!!!

Z

zeuss69

I've been dredgen this creek for a few months getting new gold up river and decent gold down riverbut theres a few places that have big bolder sand bars that keep the water flowing smooth so theres lots of pockets or pools you have to dredge. well any way i have found gold every trip till today.But what is really strange I'm finding large quantities of what seems to be Mercury.I have never found it so till today liquid balls of silver.Does this mean I'm getting into a better spot or a colder spot.50 yards up stream i have new gold so i came back to work the super rocky sand bar heading to where i found the new gold.Even though i didn't find any today which is very unusual Ive always had gold till today!!The main thing i need to know is what does a lot of mercury mean in a certain area???

Upvote 0

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
Hey zeuss69 .....Hang onto the Mercury as it may be full of gold. This may be a spot where the old timers had their sluices set up. Look at the shore line and see if the water was diverted at one time. Check upstream and see if there was a dam there. Dredge some test holes and find where the gold starts again. Some of those old timers took the water out of the creeks and left little or no gold when they left...Art

OP
OP
Z

zeuss69

Thanks art yes its damed up by huge bolders that as you go down stream they get smaller it has slowed the water presher down to very slow so as im dredgeing the pools fill with merky water after about 15 20 mints then its touch fill cant see any more. so what im doing is dredgind a trentch up stream to the bolders triing to make a creek out of the creek and get the water flowing again.figured by the time i get to the big bolders.They are the filters from where the new gold is i hope any way!!It was just wierd get the amount of mercury as i did today and had never gotton any here in this creek before down stream from where i was today every pan had at least let say if took two bb's and melted them together in every pan.Now i may have messed up i used my sniffer bottol and sucked them up with my gold i already had so now how do i get the gold back from the mercury??????

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
In 25 years or so I have always found enough mercury for my needs. A lot of people don't like my way of burning the mercury off the gold but here it is.
. Using PLASTIC GLOVES I put a piece of fine silk over a pan and pour the gold-mercury into it. Grabbing the silk by the sides you can squish the excess mercury out of the silk saving the mercury for next year. You now dump the stuff in the silk into your pyrex bowl.

I then load my PU. I take a potable generator, hot plate, jugs of water, gold-mercury, saftey mask, Nitric acid. rubber gloves and the remaining black sand and go to a friends 20 acres of isolated land. I hook the hot plate to the generator, put the bowlon it, start the generator, put on my mask, pour the nitric acid into the bowl and walk away for a 1/2 hour. When I return I fill the bowl with water and let it cool. I pour the water into a safe container and collect my gold. I then dry all the black sand to burn off any mercury that may be on it.....Art

ChuckNC

May 8, 2005
Hey Zuess my friend!
As for dealing with mercury, you have 3 good(?) choices:
1 Retort it to recover the gold.
2 Dissolve the mercury in HNO3 not really that good of a choice.
3 Take it to a haz mat recycler.
I'm getting things together for my lab and will be in touch soon.
ChuckNC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread