DanRiverMan

Dec 13, 2009
Rockingham County, NC
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC - Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys ,
Im looking for some advice or strategy for a long run of not digging anything worth a darn..My focus is beginning to take a dive, along with my confidence, which in turn really takes the fun out of the best hobby in the world, the last thing I want to have happen..I am as dedicated as ever and look forward to each and every outing with excitement...I know my machine very well and have been digging everything, just no luck..I have dug one mercury dime, a 37 ,1- 42 war nickle, a very small silver pinky ring, and about $20 in clad since the start of the year..
Im looking for any and all words of wisdom from you guys...Any of you been on long dry streaks? What turned you around or inspired you? Equiptment change?

You guys are the best, thanks alot,

Scott

Upvote 0

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
Scott everyone goes through dry spells at one time or another and the most usual response is to change equipment, this just creates a whole new learning curve, which could prolong your dry spell.
maybe a change in the type of sites, living down here in eastern north carolina our detecting typically does slow way down in the summer and with as hot as it has been this month has been no exception
. Keep on look out for new spots, what type of detecting are you doing? how long have you used your detector. if we can help you just pm us
hh
dave+bobbie

OP
OP
D

DanRiverMan

Dec 13, 2009
Rockingham County, NC
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC - Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Dave, Thanks..I am swinging a Tesoro Vaquero right now primarly, I also use a Whites DFX, Both I really like alot but I have been using the beep and dig Vaquero right now..I guess that it may be a natural reaction to always think what else may be out there better, I cant really afford an upgrade right now anyway..It is a manual Ground Balance machine but I dont have any problems keeping it ground balanced..All seems ok with it and I dont have any complaints..
I am hunting 70% old home sites and 30% School Yards..Nothing REALLY OLD, Mainly 1910 to date..No other metal detectorists around me THAT I HAVE SEEN that may be hunting the same spots..
Thanks for your response.....

Scott

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Hang in there, Dan. We've all gone thru dry spells at one time or another. You have two of the best detectors out there so don't even think about changing. Just give it some time and the finds will come back to you.

HH

Desertfox

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dan - we all hit a slump every now and then. You are not doing anything wrong. You just haven't had the coil go over that great find yet. If you are hunting 1910 era sites you must keep hitting it. It is there. Trust me. You are in a great area so continue to hunt that area and you will hit it.

Randy

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Well I read in your post that you found a merc, I've had my detector since March of '08 and have yet to dig one. I haven't gone much this year due to health reasons but I get out for an hour or so at a time. This site and seeing what everyone else is finding motivates me more then anything. I don't have any friends that MD but I think I would go more if I had someone to go with. Maybe finding a hunting partner would do us both some good.

HH Charlie

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
savant365 said:
Well I read in your post that you found a merc, I've had my detector since March of '08 and have yet to dig one. I haven't gone much this year due to health reasons but I get out for an hour or so at a time. This site and seeing what everyone else is finding motivates me more then anything. I don't have any friends that MD but I think I would go more if I had someone to go with. Maybe finding a hunting partner would do us both some good.

HH Charlie

The best way to find hunting partners is to join a club in your area. I posted on our website a few weeks ago that I was going to hunt an old park that I found and wanted to know if anyone wanted to join me. About 10 of us hunted that park and had some great finds. We even packed our lunch and had a small picnic while we were there. I have two others that I relic hunt together with. I have more fun hunting with others than hunting by myself. I do go out occasionally by myself and if I have good luck I will invite others to hunt with me next time. These are usually large parks that will handle a small group. If you invite people to hunt your spots they will invite you to hunt theirs.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Road Trip!".............plan and adventure, pick a few spots to hunt, grab the camping stuff, and hit the road for a couple days. Works wonders, even if you don't find much. :thumbsup:

jwelch66

May 4, 2010
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-70 pro Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all try not to think about it. We all have dry spells. I try to go one place old and sometimes I might find 1 thing old. Then the next day I go to a school or newer park. One thing that has helped me is going to a school and turning the discrimination down. I read a metal detecting book this winter that tries to get you to think outside the box. Same old places but just away from all the action. So when I go to the parks I try checking the hillsides instead of the normal flat spots. Just little things like that. I am having the best year that I have had in the last ten years. Things pop up where you least expect them too. Keep your chin up and go out with no expectations. Good Luck!

jwelch66

May 4, 2010
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-70 pro Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
treasurehound said:
savant365 said:

HH Charlie

The best way to find hunting partners is to join a club in your area. I posted on our website a few weeks ago that I was going to hunt an old park that I found and wanted to know if anyone wanted to join me. About 10 of us hunted that park and had some great finds. We even packed our lunch and had a small picnic while we were there. I have two others that I relic hunt together with. I have more fun hunting with others than hunting by myself. I do go out occasionally by myself and if I have good luck I will invite others to hunt with me next time. These are usually large parks that will handle a small group. If you invite people to hunt your spots they will invite you to hunt theirs.
Yes I agree. They will push you to search longer and you will find more. I take my Dad out because he is in a club. I line up houses and old farms for him. He is killing me in silver coins but my keepers are way up because I get out more.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in a slump also. A combination of not going and not finding. My advice is to go more often, learn to enjoy the process/activity. A change in attitude will help. Give it a try. Don,t discount any place to detect. I found a 29 stone 14K gold diamond ring in a dirt parking lot at a bar.

Good luck,

Ed D.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Born2Dtect said:
I am in a slump also. A combination of not going and not finding. My advice is to go more often, learn to enjoy the process/activity. A change in attitude will help. Give it a try. Don,t discount any place to detect. I found a 29 stone 14K gold diamond ring in a dirt parking lot at a bar.

Good luck,

Ed D.

Bet someone had fun explaining that, lol.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it would involve a breakup and a really drunk red neck? ;D

No it was not me, I am Happily Married?

Ed D.

kando

Nov 14, 2008
,U.S.A. almost in Canada
Detector(s) used
....Tesoro conquistador , minelab sovereign
All i can say is welcome to the real world of treasure hunting and metal detecting. You are in the wrong hobby if you get depressed that easy..

Attachments

• 009_DL.gif
    009_DL.gif
    76.3 KB · Views: 188

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread