vintage whites coinmaster v

dvbish35

Greenie
Jun 29, 2010
vermont
Detector(s) used
whites idx pro, whites Coinmaster 5 hip mount
I just picked up an old whites coinmaster hip mount metal detector yesterday for 15 bucks on craigslist...a gamble seeing as how the owner had no idea if it worked or not. This thing was made in 1976, and belive it or not it works!! I printed the manual off, and gave it a quick tune to test it out in my yard. Within an hour I had a matchbox car and a handful of coins, and a bunch of junk! Not bad for 15 bucks, It is my first metal detector, and got it to make sure i didnt waste a ton of money on something i was going to loose interest in. What are your thoughts on using a vintage machine, it is in very good condition, seems to function properly. I am not looking for a comparison to any other machine, but would like to know if its gonna pick up the older and semi deep stuff. Thanks!

Upvote 0

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a bargain!........I tried to search metal detectors on craigs list and couldn't bring any up. Kept saying no matches found......How did you do your search?

OP
OP
dvbish35

dvbish35

Greenie
Jun 29, 2010
vermont
Detector(s) used
i did just that, i got quite a few results, I searched metal detectors in the search box to the left, in all for sale and wanted

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dvbish35 said:
i did just that, i got quite a few results, I searched metal detectors in the search box to the left, in all for sale and wanted
I tried the Dallas and Houston search and came up with five......three of those were new ads.....thought they would be more plentiful than that.....

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Yep, you did OK. 15 bucks is a heck of a good price. If the coins and other things are under your coil it will let you know. If it's the older coins your after you'll have to do some home work and research, research and do some more research. Most of the parks have been hunted to death and almost all finds now are clad, same with school yards. Take your time, metal detecting is a lot of hard work but FUN. Most people think they will find a million bucks right off the bat and when they don't they give up. Keep at it and enjoy yourself.
By the way, where do you live. Just the city and state is good enough.
Happy Hunting and welcome to T-Net.

Desertfox

OP
OP
dvbish35

dvbish35

Greenie
Jun 29, 2010
vermont
Detector(s) used
I am in Rutland Vermont. My dad had a metal detector in the early 80s, and found some cool stuff. I have been looking online for ways to find good sites. This machine i picke up is 34 years old, which is a little discouraging to know that people have been scouring the grounds for that long! I have planted the bug in my wifes ear that i would like a nice new machine, and christmas would be fine....haha. But anyway i plan n doing a little research and looking for old cellar holes ect. in the woods around here.

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
Excellent detector that CM5. I still have my CM5Disc. that I bought new. Once tuned the G.E.B. works great but will also find small iron quite well. I ignored the distinctive 'double-beep' as usually meant a nail.

Can't go wrong for that kind of price. Watch out for corrosion in the battery holder.

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
I had a coinmaster V and they are good machines. You should be able to find stuff with it. I think you got a good deal

OP
OP
dvbish35

dvbish35

Greenie
Jun 29, 2010
vermont
Detector(s) used
believe it or not the machine is in pristine condition...very few scratches or knicks, and the inside is the same. The 9v battery pack needs cleaning, but in the meantime i used a 9v battery instead of the 6 1.5v aa batteries, and it works great. I have a few areas in moind i plan tesitng it out for some old stuff, but am very skeptikal, as someone has probably hit everywhere at some time or another since the metal detector was introduced. but i m up for the challenge!

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
This was my first serious machine. Great machine with a lot of nice memories. Stored it with batteries in it, and has been in the shop for the past 3 months. Kind of miss it.

I'll pass along what worked best for me when using it. You have to scrub the ground for it to work best. Use a pair of headphones, and tune the detector so that it has a constant sound. The louder the sound you can stand, the deeper it will detect. The rest is training your ear to know what it hears.

Wish I had mine back.<sigh> Don't see 'em much anymore.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
The VLF all-metal mode on that machine was great. Quite ahead of it's time. I think that came out in about 1974, and was amongst the first (or very first?) VLF/TR machines.

The TR disc. though ....... is very much a dinasour. I doubt you'll be able to discriminate out iron (or foil, or tabs, or anything else you elect to) beyond 4" or so. The TR disc. on that thing wasn't that deep. Garrett came out with better/deeper TR disc, in my opinion, in the mid 1970s.

There are still some uses for the all-metal VLF of the CM5 Supreme. For example, as the wet salt beach, it's still competitive, if you know how to "ride" that double stacked tuner knob, to compensate for moving closer to, or further away from the water's edge. Another application would be something like a relicky environment, like CW battlefields where they actually don't mind digging out the nails and such, in their quest for deeep bullets and artifacts.

But for most other types of hunting, your machine is a dinasour, when any type of disc. is needed.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Tom_in_CA said:
The VLF all-metal mode on that machine was great. Quite ahead of it's time. I think that came out in about 1974, and was amongst the first (or very first?) VLF/TR machines.

The TR disc. though ....... is very much a dinasour. I doubt you'll be able to discriminate out iron (or foil, or tabs, or anything else you elect to) beyond 4" or so. The TR disc. on that thing wasn't that deep. Garrett came out with better/deeper TR disc, in my opinion, in the mid 1970s.

There are still some uses for the all-metal VLF of the CM5 Supreme. For example, as the wet salt beach, it's still competitive, if you know how to "ride" that double stacked tuner knob, to compensate for moving closer to, or further away from the water's edge. Another application would be something like a relicky environment, like CW battlefields where they actually don't mind digging out the nails and such, in their quest for deeep bullets and artifacts.

But for most other types of hunting, your machine is a dinasour, when any type of disc. is needed.
All electronics become dinosaurs in 5 years or less.

But that doesn't mean they aren't good machines.

In the early 70's there used to be a heck of a detector called the Mighty Mite, I believe. Less than $50. Some of them, for reasons I never understood, could out-perform $600 machines. Signals came in strong at 10 inches. Ultra-fast response.

Unfortunately, most were not. But if you were lucky enough to know what to look for, they were great machines to add to your detecting arsenal.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Still have my old coinmaster. Main problem I had and the big reason for upgrading was mineralized ground. Keeping it ground balanced was a real challenge. Otherwise, it was a good first machine and if I put batteries in mine...it'll work just fine. :thumbsup:

Al

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread