new 10" coil and confused need advice from beach pros

beached whale

Feb 9, 2008
new 10" coil and confused need advice from beach pro's

While swinging I had alot of tones on one or two swings then nothing on the same spot. I would go to all metal have a weak signal. I would dig to about 8" didn't find anything. The first continous signal was a tab at 5". The sens or disc would not change anything. This was on the dry sand with a bounty hunter landstar. Are these sparactic signals worth digging and something there or a false signal ??? Oh and I used a plastic scoop. I will upgrade to a metal one.

Upvote 0

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: new 10" coil and confused need advice from beach pro's

Have you thought about up grading your detector, The ace 250 i hear is a good detector for the money,....Cotton

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.

beached whale,

First off you didn't give us a lot to go on. here are some comments on what you did tell us:
1. If the signal is not repeatable ("then nothing") the detector is giving you a junk signal.

2. "The first continuous signal was a tab at 5". Never change the sensitivity when investigating a target. If you turned the discrimination up to tab and beyond (I never do that either,but some do.) then you had another target below the tab you found!
3. If you are sweeping the coil correctly and the disc. control is set for what you are hunting when investigating a signal ,if it's not repeatable ,then no, you should not dig the target. An investigating sweep should be from several points of the compass and at different heights.
4. The larger 10" coil you are using is compounding your problems. Switch back to the standard 8" coil until you become more proficient.
5. With all due respect to "COTTON", your problems will not be solved by "upgrading" to an Ace 250.

Joe

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cotton has the right idea, but also we are assuming that you are using correct coil sweep control by keeping it level and coming at the target from different directions as Joe said. Is you detector making these sounds just when you change the direction of the swing?
Mostly if a target isn't repeatable I forget it and move on to easier targets.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread