New 10 oz Silver Bar Fakes Detected

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
This makes me sick. Damn counterfeiters. I was planning on hitting a local auction to snipe a 10 oz Engelhard bar, but now want to steer clear. I still plan on going for other items, but now I'll have to bring my calipers and not just my pocket scale.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
From what I have read the fake Engelhard 10 ouncers are way too big and that anyone familiar with 10 ounce silver bars will see it right away.

Some day they will get the mix right and they will be the same size then look identical though. That is why pretty much all my silver purchases from now on (and for a while) are new tubes of ASEs and sometimes nice quality 90% halves. I guess they can fake those too but simple bars have to be easier for the counterfeiters than US "currency" that has more intricate artwork, etc.

At least if they counterfeit US "currency" there is some chance the gov will go after them. For generic bars I don't think the gov would really care enough to go after them.

Gold is much easier to inspect with respect to counterfeits for known world gold coins. Once (or if) silver gets to 50 someday, it would be more profitable for the crooks to come up with new ways to counterfeit silver coins and bars though. Right now it might not be worth it as much.

Just my opinion.

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread