New and need advice on pinpointers

underarock

Mar 27, 2011
Southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CZ-70
Primary Interest:
Other
Been looking at garrett and v4 automax. Any other suggestions. I'm very rough with all of my toys so keep that in mind. Its why i buy cheaper things usually because i know i break the good stuff just as easily as the bad.
So i'm just looking for some people that maybe have been thru one or two or seven pinpointers before finding the one.
I dig everything. I'm new so i dig everything. I have the garrett ace 250 which has a decent pinpointer feature but you still have to get back up and scan. Didnt think it would be a big deal but spend a day detecting and you think differently. i think and has been helping locate things after digging however i really see how much time i could save if i had a pinpointer. More time digging equals less treasure hunting. If i could cut my bending up and down in half for 50- 100 dollars then i'm gonna do it. Thanks for reading.

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Get a pinpointer, you won't look back. Ive had the Cen-Tech from Harbor Freight and it works OK for the $15 you spend. I currently have a Garrett Pro-Pointer and I highly recommend it. It's built solid and works really well. I don't think you'll find anyone who'll recommend the V4 Automax over the Garrett.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dwight S said:
Get a pinpointer, you won't look back. Ive had the Cen-Tech from Harbor Freight and it works OK for the $15 you spend. I currently have a Garrett Pro-Pointer and I highly recommend it. It's built solid and works really well. I don't think you'll find anyone who'll recommend the V4 Automax over the Garrett.

Agreed. The Garrett ProPointer is an excellent value for the money. I have never read a single bad review of it so that is really saying something. I also have the Cen-Tech from Harbor Freight and it is not bad for what you pay. But for me the Cen-Tech stays at home and the Garrett gets used every time out. Do not underestimate the usefulness of the way the Garrett beeps faster as you get closer and closer to the target. This feature alone makes it better than almost any other pinpointer out there. Most pinpointers will just beep when they detect something. Although still useful, these pinpointers only tell you that something is in the area of the device. It could be a coin 1" or 2" away in any direction. But it could also be a can 12" to your left. Being able to follow the speed of the beeps as they guide you in the exact direction of the target is what makes the Garrett a true "pinpointer" and not just a hand held "detector". :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
underarock

underarock

Mar 27, 2011
Southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CZ-70
Primary Interest:
Other
Agreed. The Garrett ProPointer is an excellent value for the money. I have never read a single bad review of it so that is really saying something. I also have the Cen-Tech from Harbor Freight and it is not bad for what you pay. But for me the Cen-Tech stays at home and the Garrett gets used every time out. Do not underestimate the usefulness of the way the Garrett beeps faster as you get closer and closer to the target. This feature alone makes it better than almost any other pinpointer out there. Most pinpointers will just beep when they detect something. Although still useful, these pinpointers only tell you that something is in the area of the device. It could be a coin 1" or 2" away in any direction. But it could also be a can 12" to your left. Being able to follow the speed of the beeps as they guide you in the exact direction of the target is what makes the Garrett a true "pinpointer" and not just a hand held "detector". :icon_thumleft:
[/quote]

thanks that makes pretty good sense i just gotta find a deal on one now. ugh ebay. i need to invent a better ebay.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
V4 Automax over the Garrett. DO NOT BUY THE V4 it is Garbage got one with my last detector and It lasted 1 week Have had My garrets for months and I abuse it really bad and Have never had a issue with it I will look for the Picture of The v4 for you HH Chug

OP
OP
underarock

underarock

Mar 27, 2011
Southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CZ-70
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks for replying im definitely gonna go with the garrett after enough comments and those pictures. Just looking at how flimsy that thing was made me cringe it wouldn't take me a week to break that i can't even help it. :tongue3:
Just gotta wait til i find enough clad to pay for it. My lady says i can do this as long as it doesn't cost us anymore money that i don't find... so i guess maybe another week?

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Of course I'm sure you'll find out quickly enough, you'll pay around $130 for the Garrett, but if you take even modest care of it, it'll last you a long time. Any respectable dealer will have it for around that price.

OP
OP
underarock

underarock

Mar 27, 2011
Southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CZ-70
Primary Interest:
Other
can finally afford one of these now yeh! :headbang: gold is worth more than change i've discovered.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The DetectorPro Uniprobe can detect up to 6 inches deep, has adjustible sensitivity so you pick how deep it will detect 1/2 inch to 6 inches, adjustible frequency so it doesnt interfer with your detector, it beeps louder as you get closer to your target and has a fantastic set of headphones. You plug headphones into the headset plug on your detector and the headphones has a switch you use to select which tones you hear, the detector or the probe tones..... You will never accidently leave your probe by a hole because it is attached to your headphones......

uniprobe1.jpg

Born Free

Oct 27, 2007
Davenport, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've used a Vibra-probe for years and it has taken a heck of a beating from me. I had the Garrets which is great, but the one feature that kept me with Vibra probe is that it doesn't have an on-ff switch that you have to keep messing with. It automatically turns off after about a minute if it doesn't detect metal, but to turn it back on you just point it up and it turns itself back on. It's waterproof also. You have to have some kind of pinpointer, regardless what type.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Born Free said:
I've used a Vibra-probe for years and it has taken a heck of a beating from me. I had the Garrets which is great, but the one feature that kept me with Vibra probe is that it doesn't have an on-ff switch that you have to keep messing with. It automatically turns off after about a minute if it doesn't detect metal, but to turn it back on you just point it up and it turns itself back on. It's waterproof also. You have to have some kind of pinpointer, regardless what type.

I still have a Vibra-probe, haven't picked it up since I bought the Uniprobe, Uniprobe goes so much deeper........ :icon_thumright: In the 4 years I have been using the Detectorpro pocket probe and Uniprobe neither one ever gave me a problem about being too sensitivity, I like the fact it is very deep, I know what side of the hole the target is on even when it is still 6 inches deep.....

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The VibrpProbe is a top quality product. It is actually a professional unit where your pro pointer is a consumer unit. I have a variation of it with a 6" coil. Check out there site. Frank

LibbyC

Greenie
Aug 18, 2012
Atlanta,Ga
Detector(s) used
sand shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What exactly is the reason for the pinpointer? Does it tell you how deep something is? Can you use it scuba diving without having to lug a full detector down?

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
LibbyC said:
What exactly is the reason for the pinpointer? Does it tell you how deep something is? Can you use it scuba diving without having to lug a full detector down?

I think the fellows are chatting about small hand held probe style detectors. I have the Garrett Pro-pointer. Imagine yourself locating a hot target with your large detector, then digging a hole and you can't see anything other than dirt. Pull out the Pro-pointer, turn it on and move the end over the pile of removed soil, and then inside the hole. If anything metallic is there, you will find it. The thing will make a sound and vibrate like a cell phone. They are great !! Unfortunately you can't scuba dive with any that I've heard of. Oh, and they won't tell you how deep a target is. Don't need to. If the pointer signals, the target is probably less than 2.5" away.

I just used my pointer late this afternoon to find several very tiny pieces of a necklace chain. Could not see the pieces in the dirt pile, but the pointer kept telling me something was there. Had I not used the pointer I would have given up.

M

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Libby, the Vibra-Tector Is a probe with a 6" coil. It is about 12" long. It can detect to 6" down. It is completely waterproof. it vibrates to indicate a find. It is made for underwater searching. Check there Webb site. Frank hand print-2_edited-6.jpg

InKogKneeGrow

Aug 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had my Garrett Pro Pointer for about 2 years now. I couldn't imagine hunting without it!!! Its been through hell and back, and keeps on ticking. I even stuffed red clay between the fins where the sound comes out, from digging so hard with it! It dried up like a rock, A pin driver and hammer chipped it out, And she still asks for more.....lol What I love about it is the reliability of it, If it beeps somethings there! I've only had 2 holes I couldn't find the prize, and that's more likely my fault then the pointer. And when your 6" - 8" deep ln a hole thinking your pulling a coin out, when the pointer hones in an old bullet a couple of cm wide and tall it gets pretty impressive. This has happened to me 3 times. I'd curse the pointer thinking it was malfunctioning, because I expect a coin or something pretty easy to pick up with your eyes once you uncover it. But these civil war bullets are easy to over look. Just trust in the pointer.....and remember these things are powerful! Not everything is going to be easy on the eyes. I have to laugh cause I had a little pile of dirt I kept having to test where the damn bullet kept falling between my fingers. So I went back and fourth picking up the same dirt moving it around with the pointer, grabbing at it as if it stole something from me Screaming WHERE ARE YOU!!! Until I finally took it down a notch, slowed it down and bingo an old bullet the size of a small ball bearing. lol

This is who I used and couldn't be happier with my wonderful experience
Metal Detectors Raritan ? Pinpointers And Probes

Silverfinder99

Mar 23, 2012
Jacksonville AR
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garret pro pointer for sure because all of the above reasons. Hit me up I'll make you a good deal on one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread