Indianvintage

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2016
SW Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi from SW Texas hill country. 56 years old and finally ordered my first detector yesterday. A Fisher F22, headphones, and a pinpointer.

Been thinking about doing this for years, but too many other hobbies...

I live on 25 acres near a river. One corner has a dry gravel creek/wash that floods during heavy rains. Been living there for 20 years. Just old SW Texas ranch land that had no buildings on it prior to us building our house. I find arrowheads sometimes, old horseshoes, and other iron artifacts. Never used a detector on the land. Always wondered what might be there....

What finally got me to buy one is that my grandparents old five acre homestead is about six miles away from where I live. Grandpa lived from 1898 to 1972. One of my cousins is cleaning up the place and just took the old, mostly cedar, frame house apart before it fell apart. He saved all the old cedar wood and we have found a few relics that had been in the dirt. One relic being a 1926 Texas license plate from one of my grandpa's old trucks.The old house has been vacant since late 1970's. The only family left are some of us grandkids (now in our 50's and 60's). I did not want the land for myself. One of my cousins finally decided he wanted to clean the place up and live there. We (the remaining grandkids) all agreed that would be great. His original thoughts were to save the old house, but it was too far gone. It was probably built in the 1880's or earlier and was just an old pioneer shack, wood floor, cedar plank walls, one brick fireplace. He did save the fireplace. It looks odd standing there without a house attached to it. Some of the old roof tin and lumber will be used to put a covered patio around it.

The homestead has been in the family since the mid 1800's. It was first occupied by my great, great grandparents who were in the first wave of white settlers in the area. I spent summers there as a kid with my grandparents. The original land title, which one of my cousins found at the courthouse, says "REPUBLIC of TEXAS" on it, not "State" of Texas (so 1836 to1845 time frame).

My cousin wants to search the site with a metal detector. None of us had one, so I told him I'd been wanting a reason to buy one and this is it. It should arrive next week by UPS.

My grandparents were not wealthy. In fact they were poor like most folks were back then. Grandpa was a Sgt. in WWI and a cedar chopper after that. The house was small and simple. They raised nine children in a house that had no electricity or running water until the late 1940's. I remember grandpa had a garden, some hog pens, and a small barn. I was 12 when he died, but I had good times there many summers before that.

There is bound to be some lost coin or other items hiding in the dirt. My cousin thinks grandma used to keep a coffee can under a floorboard as her "bank" but I don't expect that is there anymore, if it ever was. When my cousin took the house apart he was careful not to trash the ground with nails and such because he was thinking ahead about using a metal detector where the old wood floored house had been. He is going to build a house on the land (but not over the old house site) and since he is doing 99% of all the reclamation of the property I plan for any valuables I find to be his. He gave me the old license plate and cut some of the old original wallpaper from inside the house and gave me that. I don't think many valuables are there, a few silver and gold coin at best, but I'm hoping for old simple iron or brass keepsakes to turn up. I'm just glad I'll be able to help my cousin find some of our family history. I'm the sixth generation of our family born in Texas!

Wish me luck on the old homestead site, and later on my 25 acres as I go over it. I'll search the old homestead first. I'll post pictures of what turns up. I do not believe that anyone has ever used a metal detector on either my 25 acres or the old homestead.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard - I'm sure you find some surprises :icon_thumright:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Texas for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from White Plains, New York! :occasion14:

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 PowerMaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard! That sounds like a ton of fun to me!
Best of luck to you. Come back and let us know what you've found.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet.
Excellent post and introduction.
The family homestead sounds like a treasure trove of artifacts. Monetary value is secondary when searching family property. The 1926 Texas license plate can attest to that. So many items, be them personal or pioneer related, can bring you a very warm feeling once recovered from that Texas soil.
There are numerous areas on the homestead that will obviously be searched first. The original footprint of the farmhouse, the clothesline area, the privy, and locating the farm dump. You can spend a few year's worth of weekends searching that place.
As for your 25 acres, finding horse shoes is very good. Certainly evidence of traffic. If people traveled across that land by horse, then they may have hunted or camped there. Whether it is a branding iron, shell casings, or a tin badge, there is always a surprise find waiting for you. Get out there and enjoy yourself.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Treasurenet! You will do fine finding treasures on that property. Don't get frustrated as there will be a lot of trash among the treasure. The F22 has FE audio to help you find and weed out the iron.

Feel free to call if you have any questions, I'll be glad to help you get up to speed.

Wayne

(832) 928-9135

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread