Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After tracking on UPS for what seems like days my new BH Landranger finally arrived.? Of course it was dark and pouring rain outside when thke BBT brought it so I didn't get to do a test run.? I did toss out a handful of clad on the carpet and try the included extra 4" coil.? It has 3 preset programs and I chose #2 which rejects? iron and pull tabs just to see what it would read on the coins, which of course were not buried.? It correctly identified each coin and gave a conductivity range on the scale that corresponded with the manual information, in spite of the rebars in the slab foundation which it in turn rejected.? That is a promising start.? My old unit couldn't discriminate between a quarter, a nickel or an old rusty nail!? It also has the ability to be manually set for? discrimination and conductivity by the? operator.? In the higher ranges it will sound off on everything but has a + - guage for acceptance or rejection/? Of course like most modern units it has an all metal setting and a pin point feature.? The? owners manual was easy to read and understand for anyone with the least bit of? MD experience.? A few of the terms may be confusing to a novice but once you read the text and compare it to the photos you are able to figure it out.? It is also fully adjustable for soil conditions in addition to the turn on and go programs.? It has all the features I wanted plus a few more.? I can't wait for a break in the weather to get it out and go!? It's forecast to be a high of 34 with 15 to 20 mph winds out of the north today so I don't know if I can stand that or not.? At least it's supposed to be dry!? Thursday is due to be in the mid 50's with light winds so maybe then?? In addition , I bought my BH from Kellyco and it came with? some accessories...some useful, some not.? I bought a pinpointer probe for $24.00 which I had tried before and found useful.? Freebies included a padded case, a coin apron, a set of headphones a large sheathed knife and a sample editon of Treasure Hunter Magazine.? Can't say much for the headphones and knife.? The headphones are light weight stereo but do not have adjustable volume controls.? The knife I guess is supposed to be for digging but would serve better to skin bears.? It is an el-cheapo made in Pakistan and looks like it too! Can't say much for the freebies but the case is pretty nice.? Will post more when I get a chance to wring it out in the local park.? JIM

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: New BH Landrover Finally Arrives

Got to take 'er out for an hour or so this evening. Tried the 4" coil for some coinshooting. Dug a ton of trash but only found a clad dime and penny. Brrr, that wind was cold! I tried all 3 of the pre-programed settings and settled on #1. It seemed to have just about the right amount of resolution. I set it on #1 just before I left and immediately picked up the two coins after hunting unsuccessfully on the other two modes. I don't quite understand all I know aabout this unit yet and need to do a little more studying and practicing. I'm not sure how the pinpoint mode works and the all metal mode yet. I had to dig a couple of trenches before I fouind the loot a couple of times although I thought I had it figured out. I went slow and before I knew it it had been an hour! "Time Flies, etc, etc". I had a couple of false beeps that registered coins and didn't find a thing. I may not have been going deep enough. Every now and then I'd get a sharp loud beep indicating something good and then I would try to pinpoint it and loose it. I don't know what that was about? My what is it find of the day was a small rectangularmetal lid with a hole in the middle withi part of hinge hanging on one side. Looks like it may have been part of an old metal jewelry box at one time....close but no cigar! I only dug one smashed aluminum can and that was a change from my old unit. Tomorrow I'm going to go out and try the 8 1/2" coil and see how the two compare. The little 4" coil was sure slow going, but so far so good! JIM

treasure_lady

Jan 17, 2005
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Congratulations on getting your new detector! I know you will have a lot of fun with it! Look forward to seeing your finds!

nitro

Dec 30, 2004
Round Rock, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on your new detector. Looking forward to seeing your finds posted.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a Landranger model not a Landrover! ??? I don't know where I got that.....thinking about cars I guess?

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Made a two hour foray today to the local kiddie sports complex, baseball, softball and soccer fields. Spent most of the time at the little league baseball fields where I use to coach when my boys were little. Had the 8 1/2" coil on the unit to see how it works compared to the 4". Found out right away that it covers a lot more ground in the same amount of time, but couldn't get back under the bleachers due to interference from metal structures. Picked up some clad, 4 quarters, 5 dimes and eleven pennies. Nothing old, but I didn't expect to find any old coins given the location. Also found what appears to be a stainless steel or chrome plated charm. It was a miniature baseball bat about 1 1/2" long with a hole for mounting on a chain or charm baracelet on the handle end. It had Louisville Slugger in big red letters down both sides in script. It proabably isn't worth anything but it is unique and my first jewelery item. It was kinda' odd where coins were located. All the quarters came from behind the backstops, the dimes all along the first and 3rd base lines and the pennies behind the dugouts. Found one penny along a sidewalk. I also dug 4 pull tabs and an aluminum can along the sidewalks. I only had two signals where I didn't find anything but I found I was getting a "good" signal from foil quite a bit and it could have been a piece of foil that I just didn't see. I didn't find a single nickel and was ignoring the nickel signal because that's what was showing when I dug up the pull tabs. I probably should have dug them all but was strapped for time. I still haven't figured out the "all metal" function but I forgot to take my owner's manual along so I was operating in the blind so to speak. Most of my finds were on the preset program #1. I did a lot better today and gained a little confidence in my machine and myself. I am learning to distinguish between the different tones and what they mean. I'll try to post a little bit each time I go out and make this topic kinda' like a journal while I work my way up from novice to....??

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Struck gold today! Was digging a penny signal behind an outdoor basketball court and pulled out a 15", 14k gold chain necklace. Other than the broken clasp it looked new and was only about an inch deep, tangled around the grass roots. Also found a quarter a dime and a couple of pennies all clad. After finding the necklace I quit for the day. Couildn't bear the disappointment of digging clad after striking gold! This has sure whet my enthusiasm! Continued......

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a cache of sorts today. Was working the stands behind the rodeo grounds and got a hot signal at 6r". Dig down and found a little Hot Wheels car. My trowel hit something else hard and out came another and another and another...etc, etc........ I moved over a couple of feet and found two more! I wound up with 16 various Hot Wheels cars and trucks! Some kid apparently entertained himself burying his Hot Wheels while mom and dad watched the rodeo. I also found several clad coins and believe it will be a clad coinshooters dream. It also has a huge dirt parking lot where I noted several hot hits on the way back to my truck. I was tired of digging this morning but you can bet I'll be going back. Also found the gold mine of pull tabs. When the rodeo is on they don't sell beer but everyone apparently brings a carload with them. I set my BH Land Ranger on preset program #3 and turned the power down to #3 to help eliminate the pull tabs and it worked pretty good. I found most of the clad next to the arena fence and the fence and posts did interfere some with my detector. This should be a good spot to try my 4" coil. Weather in the 70's and dry for a change!

jimok

Feb 12, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim, sounds like you and the landranger are hitting it off great together.
Glad to hear it.

Jim

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds Like A Great Day, Congrats

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to check out a public beach today on a nearby lake. Got there and found it is now maintained by the Shriners. I am a Mason so I can get entry. Whoopee!

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't make it to the beach. Local corps office said it was ok but I read a post on another forum where a guy lost his detector on corps land so I don't want to risk it. Wish they would get their act together. Went to a couple of grade schools this AM. One school that I attended 50 years ago and just had to see if I had left anything there. Nothing of mine, just some clad and a tiny blue acheivment badge like a kid would get for good spelling or such. (Notice I didn't say good English!). Soil was hard packed red clay and very sticky and hard to dig due to recent rains, didn't dig anything indicated over 4". Went to a middle school athletic field next and found some more clad and a few plull tabs, nothing to write home about. Problem here is that there are no really old buildings or schools. Most only date back to the 1950's. Might have to try Tulsa demolition sites as some older buildings are torn down by the City quite often. The saga continues. I am making this kinda' like a journal showing a newbie starting out and will try to follow daily escapades until I become an accomplished detectorist orgive it up. Hope you'll find this interesting and follow along.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty big thunderstorm came up last night and got the mud back. Waited until this afternoon to get out. Went to a local County park where they hold the Easter Pagent each year. A gathering of about 40,000 people at each event. Ran the field at random a little bit where crowd gathers to watch. Decided to dig only those hits in the gold range. Dug up 14 pulltabs! One of them was gold colored and I could only see the bottom round half at first. It looked like a gold ring and my heart nearly stopped until I pulled it out! Why do the detecting gods do this to me? I mostly was just checking out the layout of the park. They have a public swimming pool which has an area all around it outside the fence that can be hunted. Think I'll give it a try next time out. I ran a practice scan behind the bleachers at one of the ball fields and got several "coin" beeps like clad but didn't dig, just wanted to see if any coins possible. I usually find a lot of quarters behind the bleachers at ballparks. It was getting dark so I will go back later and dig these. Only dug one thin clad 1980's dime today but it wasn't a wasted trip and I had a good time as usual.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rain, rain and more rain......'nuff said? >:(

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wet , muddy and cold today but no new rain. Plotted a small area in my back yard (about 10'X10') and ran it. Picked kup 4 clad pennies and a toy car my yoiungest son played with about 17 years ago, he'll be 30 in July! Brought back old memories. Don't thin this thread is going anywhere, not much interest so I'll shut it down, today's last entry. I'll just post new ones if i have anything interesting to report.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always great finding old toy cars (especially one from your own kid/s or that you used to own)!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread