New Capt. Kidd Lead

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
Hello Amona,

You are absolutely right that there are many versions not only about places which Kidd visited during his journey from Madagascar to America but also about the parts of his whole life. Today nobody can say if he stayed for couple of days in Isla Mona or not, but....

You say and the history says as well that "speed was essential for him and time was not his friend". He had to do something very quick to have a chance to change the opinion in Boston and New York about him as a pirate. He did not want to hide himself somewhere, he wanted to be in English colony in America as soon as possible. If he would anchored in Mona, for what purpose? As you wrote, the Mona island was desolated. Where did he buy the new ship "San Antonio"? Definitely not in Mona. Many historians say that it was in the mouth of the river Yuma on the southern coast of Hispaniola.

I agree that kpt. Kidd´s stay can be part of folkor in Mona, the same as numerous treasures of Roberto Cofresi being said that he burried there as well. Isla Mona has, as I know, many caves where one could hide some booty but couple of treasure hunting expeditions have never found anything there (apart of this one small jar full of silver and gold coins with a human skull aside).

To answer your post, I have to admit that today nobody can say if William Kidd really did not spend couple of days anchoring in Mona Island may be thinking what to do in the close future. I was a little strong in my declaration that Kidd "never anchored in Mona island", sorry for that.

Regards and Happy Christmas
Lobo

OP
OP
T

TSparky21

Tenderfoot
Jun 19, 2006
I did a bit more research and did find information that they discovered the maps in 1929. The book was told in late 1800's that the maps was in dressing table. Would it be real or fake story to tell? I showed my friend and doesn't think it's a real story. What do you think?

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
Hello TSparky,

I have never belived too much to these famous Kidd´s maps, I trust more the historical documents, such as about anchorage of Queddah Merchant in the mouth of the river on the southern coast of Dominican republic, where he had purchased "San Antonio", the ship in which he sailed to Boston.

Regards
Lobo

OP
OP
T

TSparky21

Tenderfoot
Jun 19, 2006
Bobadilla said:
Hello TSparky,

I have never belived too much to these famous Kidd´s maps, I trust more the historical documents, such as about anchorage of Queddah Merchant in the mouth of the river on the southern coast of Dominican republic, where he had purchased "San Antonio", the ship in which he sailed to Boston.

Regards
Lobo

It wouldn't matter about the maps but it helps me figure out if the story would be true or not... It become clearly when he travel from Dominican Republic to Boston was when he hide his treasures in middle of the trip. It was told he hide the treasure just before he was caught just because he knew he was in trouble.

submerged

May 20, 2005
Fishkill N.Y.
I live in upstate New York on the Hudson River we pull a side scan sonar on the weekends for the rumored Kidd wreck where a cannon has been brought up near Bear mountain. We have several hits just waiting for a clear day to dive probably late summer during the drought is best.

Ed

blackbeard1717

Sep 10, 2010
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Fisher IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in New Jersey legends have it buried in New Jersey or New York. People believed while the Garden State Parkway was being built in south Jersey it would have been found then. People checking the Hudson River how is the visability.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread