New Coin Roll Hunter - First attempt

greedygecko

Oct 14, 2008
Tampa, FL
Hello all!!

I am brand new to the hobby and have enjoyed reading about everyone's results both in the coin roll forum and throughout treasurenet.

I am interested in starting with half dollars and am looking for any tips. Not looking to build sets; rather I am keen on grabbing silver and anything else that might be rare. Any tips or advice on what to look for?

I went through $238 of halfs today and found 4 40% Kennedy's. Don't have a sense as to whether that is good or bad.

Anyway, look forward to your advice and participating in the forum.

Upvote 0

eggbag

Mar 17, 2008
welcome. that sounds pretty damn good to me. in the last 1500$ i searched i only found one 40%er. But it goes in cycles i was averageing about 4 to5 per 500$ box both 40%s and90%s. Keep at it, its fun but it goes up and down.Although it seems that everyone is having slim pickings lately.Ive had better finds from loose teller tray coins recently then from boxes and rolls.

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
First of all, welcome to the forum!

And grats on your silver finds.

4 keepers out of your first batch of what I assume is hand rolls is very good.

I hope you continue to find the silver!

If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask, we are a helpful bunch in this forum.

~Dave

OP
OP
greedygecko

greedygecko

Oct 14, 2008
Tampa, FL
Thanks for the encouragement.

I guess the one additional piece of info that I would be interested in is what else I should keep an eye out for when my $1000 batch of half dollars arrives on Friday??

Tons of coins to go through, and just want to make sure that I don't leave anything valuable on the table.

Right now, I am really looking for anything 1969 and prior. Is there anything else that I should be aware of?

Thanks for the help in advance.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
greedygecko said:
Thanks for the encouragement.

I guess the one additional piece of info that I would be interested in is what else I should keep an eye out for when my $1000 batch of half dollars arrives on Friday??

Tons of coins to go through, and just want to make sure that I don't leave anything valuable on the table.

Right now, I am really looking for anything 1969 and prior. Is there anything else that I should be aware of?

Thanks for the help in advance.
Welcome. 1970 kennedys are also 40% silver, and are rare but not not impossible to find. Good luck. AMC

OP
OP
greedygecko

greedygecko

Oct 14, 2008
Tampa, FL
Welcome. 1970 kennedys are also 40% silver, and are rare but not not impossible to find. Good luck. AMC
[/quote]

Now I am beating myself up wondering if I returned any of those in yesterday's batch. Don't believe that I did - but now I have to wonder. ???

At least now I've learned this "early" in my CRH career.

Thanks for the info!

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Gecko, I have searched well over 750,000 halves. I have found 3 1970 halves. The are extremely low mintage. I would recommend you buy you some cheap plastic gloves(disposables like nurses wear). These halves are terribly dirty and who knows what they will transmit to your skin. Cheers, Jim

rodzm

Oct 15, 2008
Germany
New to the forums...but I figured I'd share my experience from today. I went to my local bank and asked them if the had any Halves rolls and the said they had 3 of them so after giving it a thought if i should 1 or all 3 I decided to buy all of them. I opened the first roll and got nothing...maybe some 40% coins but not sure since I was looking for the 90% halves. Second $10 roll yielded nothing and after opening the 3rd roll I could not believe my eyes. It was an entire roll of nice, shiny and uncirculated 1964 Keneddy Halves. I still cant believe it but I guess there is such thing as beginners luck.

Ill be posting pics later

rodzm

Oct 15, 2008
Germany
Here is my find....

PICT0882-1.jpg

PICT0885-1.jpg

PICT0886-1.jpg

PICT0888-2.jpg

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any silver is good, but the more the better! Just keep at it and don't get discouraged. Also, be nice to the tellers. They're our best asset.

rodzm

Oct 15, 2008
Germany
Codes said:
Any silver is good, but the more the better! Just keep at it and don't get discouraged. Also, be nice to the tellers. They're our best asset.

Slip them a silver half for helping out???

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
rodzm said:
Codes said:

Try a box of donuts or a bag of candy.

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
rodzm said:
Codes said:

Sure, if you want to shot yourself in the foot. The less they know.......the less they search OUR rolls.

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck with your search, one comment. Don't bring your searched halves back to the same branch .They may not order you anymore.

rodzm

Oct 15, 2008
Germany
mountainman 2 said:
Good luck with your search, one comment. Don't bring your searched halves back to the same branch .They may not order you anymore.

I wont do that...what sucks is that since Im stationed overseas there are only 2 banks on post so I will have to hit them up for coins and dump what I dont need within the local establishments. It sucks cause in the states you can use one bank for dumping while you use another to pick up your regular stash. Oh well, it was an awesome find and hopefully I can befirend the tellers and have them order me a regular supply of halves

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Rodzm, Thank you for your service. Guys and guys like you allow us to have fun at our hobby. Thanks for the freedom. Jim

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, I would sure love to find a roll like that!!!! :icon_pirat:

rodzm

Oct 15, 2008
Germany
coolpix9 said:
Hey Rodzm, Thank you for your service. Guys and guys like you allow us to have fun at our hobby. Thanks for the freedom. Jim
Its very humbling when you hear how thankful people are for what we do if only our comrades back in Vietnam were appreciated as well but unfortunately they were spit on and cursed on.

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Unfortunately, there are those people in our own country today that would spit upon our current troops or even worse.

I recall reading multiple articles about the people who would attend the funerals of marines screaming horrible obscentities and slogans while carryin equally pathetic signs. Local bikers and biker gangs got wind of it and would also show up to the funerals and would rev up their bikes to drown out the a-holes who were attacking the family members of the deceased. Its a messed up world we live in when those perceived as dirty criminals (biker gangs) are the ones who have their priorities straight...

~Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread