Moyock, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Sand Shark

jersey devl

Mar 2, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro: Cortes,Tiger Shark,& Vaquero
Well Ive only had mine since Saturday so...lol...Im used to the tiger shark so I have been mostly in all metal but I have done about 1/3 of my 3 short hunts in Disc mode...sens on about 8 and disc. at about the I in foil range (read that from somewhere) and it seems to cut out most of the foil. In either mode you will know when to dig,its one tone but -NOT- you will learn to know the different tones it does make.
I like the all metal and with the Cortes you can just look at the screen graphs (and VDI#'s) to get a better idea (thats why we bought a TID right?) learn to use the sum mode too, there are lots of tricks to this machine it seems and it can be a bit intimidating but thats part of the fun right! HH

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can use either mode while you hunt. All Metal is the deepest but no disc. The best way to help set disc is to lay down some coins, junk like small nails, pull tabs and nickels. Wave the coil over each and turn up disc to see where they almost drop out. You can hunt in All Metal land switch to disc and get an idea what it is besides looking at the screen. Some trash will read as a coin or ring too.

Good Luck,
Sandman

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Thorny, it's best to consider where you are hunting, and what your intended target might be as you make settings to your machine.

I always toss a nickel out, to start each MD venture, to assure my machine is in functioning order.
Many rings of substance may be in the range of a nickel.

I set my discrimination somewhere in the foil range, though many fine wire gold rings with valuable stones are found below that setting.

If relic hunting, it is wise to use the All Metal setting to avoid passing by valuable ferrous targets.

Unfortunately, many jewelry creations, in both shape and alloy, may resemble can slaw to your metal detector, especially when the obstacle of depth, potential moisture of the soil, and actual soil content are factored in.

It is best to dig all targets using minimum impediment to your machine !
Each particular hunt will let you know when you need to start turning up discrimination, sensitivity, and changing modes.

Glad you're having fun !
rmptr

If at a newly constructed park/playground/school yard, use discriminating mode and slowly raise it if you get annoyed at too much foil

Bradley137

Aug 4, 2007
DIXIE
Detector(s) used
Minelab, White's, Fisher, Tesoro
For best possible depth hunt in all metal mode but be sure ground balance is done properly or your losing depth instead of gaining depth. If your not comfortable ground balancing, it's best to hunt in discriminate mode as it's preset and not affected by the G.B. The ground balance all metal mode is actually an advanced feature for the more experienced hunters. However, after locating a target in the all metal mode so you can be sure of max. depth, then check it in the discriminate mode. This is how old guys like my self used to check targets before i.d. machines came along. I use as little discrimination as possible. Again to achieve maximum depth. Remember higher discrimination equals less depth. What's so great about the id machines is once you know how targets read on the meter, it becomes your discriminator so you can maintain max. depth by not running your discriminator too high. But understand that all i.d. machines are able to detect deeper than they are able to identify them accurately, so if you believe it's a deep target, I've found in my years of experience with all detectors and all brands that it's best to Dig It!! And always run sensitivity as high as you can and still maintain stability.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread