More questions on my Conquistador umax

Gary66

Jul 30, 2009
Belle Vernon PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Bandido and Conquistador. Whites TR-Disc, Eagle 2 SL 90, Eagle Spectrum, XLT and M6. Garrett GTAx 1000pm, Garrett Pro Pointer. Compass XP-Pro. Fisher CZ-6A. Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and Sharpshooter.
So...This last week of detecting found me at an an old hobo camp that I located near a railroad that was removed. I found a really nice P. & L. E. R. R. Lock dated 1941 and a V nickle that has no date AND a really nice 1901 Indian Head..... also 3 harmonica reeds.

I think I'm going to invest in a new coil or two as the cash becomes available.

Would the 12" x 10" Concentric give me that much more depth over the stock 9" x 8" Concentric?
I ask because that is alot of money to be tossing out there for just an inch or so.

There's not alot of trash in area as I have to hike quite a few miles to get to it so I've tossed out the idea of the small 5.75 coil for now.

One question someone may have an answer to...is why this detector was discontinued? I look at the line up and it has alot of the same features of different models now in production. The only things it doesn't have are a Pinpoint and manual GB. The GB would be nice but who seriously needs the PP?

Thoughts?

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IHO- the 12" x 10" needs clean ground......but will go deeper, try "supertuning" it first......it can be done...the Conquistador is basically like a Cibola. I never use all metal for pinpionting it is close enough as is. I do use a Freight Harbor pinpointer in the hole.....

7" is the depth i can get on coins, sometimes a bit more after a rain. Great machine!

OP
OP
Gary66

Gary66

Jul 30, 2009
Belle Vernon PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Bandido and Conquistador. Whites TR-Disc, Eagle 2 SL 90, Eagle Spectrum, XLT and M6. Garrett GTAx 1000pm, Garrett Pro Pointer. Compass XP-Pro. Fisher CZ-6A. Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and Sharpshooter.
So it's not worth getting the larger coil at this time.....Will save it for later...Thanks

How exactly do you "Supertune" and what does it do?

Thanks

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Supertuning is where you crank the threshold all the way to the max. It makes all metal mode useless, but adds depth when hunting in disc.

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
supertune by going all-metal, then crank threshold up till it screams a little, then go to discrimnate mode, you can just crank it all the way.....but i do a bit at a time. Try wet ground hunting this gives me the best results.....

Here is the instructions per Tesoro, but hey can be used also for the Conquistador Umax

Super Tune Your Cibola

The Cibola can be set up to get even better depth and sensitivity while operating in the DISCRIMINATE Mode. Super tuning is accomplished by working in the DISCRIMINATE Mode and turning the THRESHOLD knob to the highest setting.

Super tuning your Cibola will cause the threshold audio level to be set too high for accurate All Metal or Pinpointing operation.

To start, turn the DISCRIMINATE LEVEL knob to just above the IRON setting and turn the SENSITIVITY knob as high as it will go without causing the detector to chatter. Check a target or two and notice how far away you can get from the coil and still receive a repeatable audio signal. Now, turn up the THRESHOLD knob and recheck the targets. You should see an increase in the distance from the target to the coil. Push the PINPOINT button. Notice that the threshold tone is far too loud to accurately identify some of your targets.

Take some time to try different targets and settings in an air test to see how well your detector will work in the ground.

OP
OP
Gary66

Gary66

Jul 30, 2009
Belle Vernon PA
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the input....!

I just received permission to hunt a lot where a house once stood and the adjoining house that was built in 1933. I'll try this tomorrow and let you know how it went.

Hmmm...so when you do supertune, I take it you have to back everything way down to check depth?

Thanks again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread