NEW CTX+VIRGIN SITE=NIRVANA!!!!!

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites GMT, BH Platinum w/ Fisher F5, 11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been detecting several years. I had yet to discover a significant OLD undetected public gathering place, UNTILL NOW!!

I estimate 3-4 acres of playground,picnic area, and old ballfield, dating back well over a century!! I had gone to this area a while back, using my BH Platinum w/F5 11"DD coil which was my primary detector at that time. ( My hunts are of limited time ,as I still work full time and between that and family responsibilities I really cherish my MD time when it's available)

When I was first at this site, I only had time for the playground area. I found a lot more clad than usual for such a site, nothing more significant before I ran out of time.

Over a month later I decided to go back to the site with my month old CTX, to check out some of the other areas. Once again little time available. Within a couple steps of starting the CTX and doing the auto noise cancel, a pocket spill. The coins were literally at the surface with portions of a couple coins visible. The coins were all mid 60's to early 70's, tarnished as if they had been there a long time.
Next target no more than two steps, feco numbers indicated a nickel, dug about 7"and out comes a 1897 Liberty nickel, WOW! A few more swings a (copper I think) button face with a roll crimp in back, with a raised depiction of a model T automobile. NEAT! A few swings, more clad. A couple more steps, a circular outer frame, with stem enclosure, of a silver plated pocket watch. No mechanism or front and back, but, it's old, good sign!! This all took place in about 15 minutes, most of the time spent digging. THE GROUND WAS DRYER THAN A POPCORN FART!!! In the remaining half hour I found a bunch more clad and a no date Buffalo nickel.

I am reasonably sure this is an undetected site. Many of the clad coins were very near the surface, or actually on top. I think if any detectorist was there they would certainly have grabbed them, even a coinshooter who would not soil his hands for anything less than silver. ouch! A little sidenote of an encounter I had with a coinshooter with a nice VX3. He said he discriminates the hell out of most everything with the sole target of silver. He told me he was "pretty sure" he had picked the park clean of silver coins. He may have, I haven't been back with my CTX yet, we'll see. What I neglected to tell him, was that I had found a gold ring in that park after he was there. I only discriminate iron in most cases, in his tunnelvision for silver he misses the gold! I figured as long as he was feeling good about things, no need to rain on his parade. (this was not at my new site)

Back to the honeyhole! It is VERY heavy with decades of ferrous trash. A great test for the CTX ability to separate the ferrous from the good targets and the target trace. I'll actually use the GPS because this site is perfect for it.With the geohunt feature, I will be able to track my movements and finds. When I stop for the day, I will be able to come back to the exact spot the next time I return and resume the hunt.

3-4 acres of century old plus, undetected territory to detect at my leasure! AND IT'S MINE,ALL MINE, AH HA HA HA HA!!! sorry I couldn't help it i'm really stoked! IT'S GONNA BE GOOD!!

Keep your coil level and your control box dry.

Last edited:

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great story. Hopefully you will will get some rain and can really get the goodies. Damp or moist ground really helps the Minelab CTX 3030 punch down deep.

Awesome machine ain't it!

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds awesome! Let us know what you find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread