NEW DETECTOR GIVES COIN DATES

S

stefen

The other day I was asked to beta-test a new KCUHP-HO Model Garrett Metal Detector which will actually shows a coin on a screen, indicate the coinage value from 1/2 copper cent to a $50 gold piece, the best feature, will show the coinage date. It will also show an image of other metalic items.

This unique MD will save time thru the identification process and eliminate excessive digging, cleaning and preservation, and emotional highs and lows.

Then Monty called and woke me up. ;D

K

Kentucky Kache

The first time I saw an xlt demonstration I thought the vdi numbers were coin dates.
How nice that would be.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
When will this new machine we out on the market? Can I put my order in for one now? Sounds like a dream come true. Will is tell you the date on pull tabs and bottle caps too. ;D ;D ;D :D

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
"Hook, line, and sinker..."

You actually had me believing it until your punch line. ;D

Pcolaboy

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, technology like that is just around the corner - my guess is that within the next 10 years, metal detectors will have the capability to display finds on the screen, a picture that looks like an x-ray or MRI photo.

I imagine they won't go very deep in the beginning, but over time, they'll be able to penetrate a foot or more. Hope I'm still around to see it!

OP
OP
S

stefen

Night Stalker said:
Actually, technology like that is just around the corner - my guess is that within the next 10 years, metal detectors will have the capability to display finds on the screen, a picture that looks like an x-ray or MRI photo.

I imagine they won't go very deep in the beginning, but over time, they'll be able to penetrate a foot or more. Hope I'm still around to see it!

You may think that is a spoof, however, I presented this subject, somewhat tongue in cheek, to illustrate that this technology is in the making, if not already formulated.

Having a Garret Metal Detector, and knowing its quality, I am confident that we will see this advancement in the near future.

Like a any industry, the competitors will force technological advancements. Just use Apple Computers as a prime example. Look what they have accomplished in the last 3 or 4 years following the introduction of new OS-10 platform.

Don't laugh about dating of pull tabs...the new technology may be able to differentiate between a soft drink and a beer can...and maybe even the name of the product itself.

Night Stalker is correct in his assessment, however, I would think this will occur in a shorter time period.

All opinions and comments are welcome...where will we be tomarrow?

K

Kentucky Kache

I don't doubt they could build such a thing, but who would have an extra
$10,000.00 to hand out?

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But remember when a color TV cost around a thousand bucks? Now you can get that same color tv for a couple hundred bucks. Electronics is the one item that goes down in price with new discoveries. Monty PS, I dreamed I didn't call you so it musta' been someone else.

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
I agree with jbot , have you ever paid for an MRI ? I have . I could have bought a top of the line md from every manfacturer there is for less .

rich68

Greenie
Mar 8, 2007
Walnut Creek, CA
Yeah, it will probably be based on that machine that they use to scan a womans belly and tell you if it's a boy or a girl...

It will scan the ground, capture the image, rotate the image to get it flat, and do an Optical Character Recognition on it to get the value, date, and mintmark. Next it will grade the coin based on decomposition and the readability of the coins surface. Based on the coins grade, it makes a satellite link to the internet, downloads it's current eBay value, and then give you an audible message telling you what it is, it's current value, and if it's worth keeping.

Next it will ask you if you wish to remove it.

If you say "yes", it shoots a laser beam out of the detector just big enough and deep enough that you just have to reach in and brush some dust off of the coin to get it.

If you say "no", it just shoots a small beam at the object to vaporize it so that it has been 'removed' permanently.

We can dream, right?

K

Kentucky Kache

What? You mean I have to brush off the dust manually? Too much work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread