New discovery!

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
It's great to view the photos in color. For me seeing the complete Peg Leg map on a old slide can't be beat. There were rumors about this map for many years. I think Bob may have shown the slide to a few of the old timers. Though he did not allow it to be copied. Looks like the Tumlinsons allowed him to photograph it. In the slide series there are several shots of some nice chunky gold. Seems something was being found. I have a good idea from where. Uncle Phil pointing out the spot on a slide helps. In my travels past travels I've been by that spot.

It seems to me like you are suggesting that this version of the Pegleg map is the most complete one you've ever seen.

OP
OP
sgtfda

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
It is the complete map. Nice and clear. No folds or blurring such as the case of the copyrighted photo.

OP
OP
sgtfda

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Many of the fans of the legend show want a season 2. This includes the owner of this slide set. He was hoping the slides could be used in a season 2. Of course he would make a appearance on the show. I favor the Garman angle on this story. He was very involved!

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was stopped at the gun show by a guy who said he was a huge fan of the Legend show. He asked if he could get a photo of the two of us. I said sure I would be happy to. After he said since I was so nice he had something to tell me. His dad was a close associate of Bob Garman years ago. He said Bob gave his dad a extra copy of his slide collection. In that collection was a photo of the original Peg Leg map with directional markers. Also photos of Herman and the Tumlinsons. He agreed to let me view them. Wow! We have all seen black and white photos of Herman at his shack. Here is the original color slide taken by Garman. I have permission to post one of Herman and that's it. The rest are for my use only. I agreed and I was very happy to get a original photo of the Peg Leg Map along with the others. So here in color is Herman at his shack. View attachment 1386115

Howdy Sarge,

Seems to me that what you found is that there never was a Peg Leg Map. I say it has always been a Bob Garman, or Travis Tumlinson map. A new story will have to be made up to explain the map in the slides.

Homar

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
If you want a second season, I can give you one that would make your viewers Chit there Pants. But there will be no rewrites its factual or its not. Only way I work, and do not bend from that.

Wrmickel1

OP
OP
sgtfda

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Howdy Sarge,

Seems to me that what you found is that there never was a Peg Leg Map. I say it has always been a Bob Garman, or Travis Tumlinson map. A new story will have to be made up to explain the map in the slides.

Homar

Homar apparently Tumlinson gave that story to Garman when he allowed him to photograph the map. Peg Leg was dead so who knows. Travis could have made that map too. Though what else would have drawn Tumlinson to the area. Perhaps the Ruth story.

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figured you would combine the Legends show with Ryan's greatest show on Earth. That way you could give the knots berry farm solutions.
Possibly, you may have the entire crew of the Rendezvous doing chorus line kicks just like the Rockette's as Ryan gives the Epilogue?
Just painting a funny picture don't get your chonie's in a bunch!
Even though the whole Legend Show was a melodrama and had lots of fabricated BS, I still loved the show.
Ryan's Show? I may not even watch it. Already know the outcome.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
another pic of old herman

herman petrash2.jpg

OP
OP
sgtfda

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
For those that have inquired I have always been free with information. Even if it was privately done. In this case there is agreement with a fellow Pastmaster and I won't violate that trust.
Garmans story does need to be told. He had many connections. In my opinion he points the way like no other. The stuff Herman passed on to him alone is major. The Garman story opens a whole new chapter on the legend.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
For those that have inquired I have always been free with information. Even if it was privately done. In this case there is agreement with a fellow Pastmaster and I won't violate that trust.
Garmans story does need to be told. He had many connections. In my opinion he points the way like no other. The stuff Herman passed on to him alone is major. The Garman story opens a whole new chapter on the legend.

herman also passed on all his info to andy synbad including waltz old pinfire revolver (which he sold to a local dutch hunter)...it would be interesting to hear garmans side

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figured you would combine the Legends show with Ryan's greatest show on Earth. That way you could give the knots berry farm solutions.
Possibly, you may have the entire crew of the Rendezvous doing chorus line kicks just like the Rockette's as Ryan gives the Epilogue?

Oooooooooh Bill, Your way out there.....................................I mean waaaay out there........to the moon!!!!

View attachment 1387205

Last edited:

Old

Feb 25, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Frank,

IMO, Garman was a very smart guy and a good one to follow....within his realm. I think you are right in that aspect.

However; saying (or implying) he was a "partner" in any way, shape or form with Travis is a real stretch. Time line and known dates just don't match. Nor do they match with Robert for that matter. We know Garman met Robert in Millsite Canyon, had some conversation with him which I'm sure included discussions of the PSM. Robert's letter to him eludes to all that.

Garman may have seen Travis once. Even that is dubious. At least that's what can be concluded from Garman's own writing. But its obvious there wasn't any meaningful partnership or long term arrangements. You and I both know Robert spent far more time in AJ hustling beers from the locals then he did hunting anything. Robert is as much responsible for the misinformation concerning the stones as anyone. Robert was pretty much just useless baggage. I think Travis realized that early on.

Garman told several versions of his understanding of the finding of the maps. All of which were a mixed up garbled hodgepodge. He mangled the relationship between Travis and Robert, and when his meetings with them took place. In fact, Garman didn't even know them well enough to properly identify the difference between Robert and Travis as pictured in his book. And now they are supposed to be best buddies??? I dunno about that. That's a hard one to get one's arms around. My guess is Garman's knowledge of anything Tumlinson was from one chance meeting in Millsite Canyon, a single letter from a destitute Robert, and a lot of local chit-chat....post Clarence Mitchell.

You indicated the slides were from the 1940/1950's era. Doesn't that conflict with Robert's letter to Garman? Dated 1962??? If Robert allowed Garman to photograph something as sensitive as the ground map 10 plus years earlier are we to believe he would include a PS in his letter in 1962 that he (Robert) could send photographs ......just doesn't make sense. Robert's letter is giving a brief description of what is depicted on the stones. Wouldn't that be a tad bit anti-climatic to what's depicted on the Ground Map? We can't be certain Robert ever laid eyes on the ground map. If Robert and Garman had met after the 1962 letter, then Garman would have had a far better understanding of who, what and where than what he wrote about in his book. It just doesn't add up.

R. Tomlinson letter to Garman.jpg

OP
OP
sgtfda

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Hey Frank,

IMO, Garman was a very smart guy and a good one to follow....within his realm. I think you are right in that aspect.

However; saying (or implying) he was a "partner" in any way, shape or form with Travis is a real stretch. Time line and known dates just don't match. Nor do they match with Robert for that matter. We know Garman met Robert in Millsite Canyon, had some conversation with him which I'm sure included discussions of the PSM. Robert's letter to him eludes to all that.

Garman may have seen Travis once. Even that is dubious. At least that's what can be concluded from Garman's own writing. But its obvious there wasn't any meaningful partnership or long term arrangements. You and I both know Robert spent far more time in AJ hustling beers from the locals then he did hunting anything. Robert is as much responsible for the misinformation concerning the stones as anyone. Robert was pretty much just useless baggage. I think Travis realized that early on.

Garman told several versions of his understanding of the finding of the maps. All of which were a mixed up garbled hodgepodge. He mangled the relationship between Travis and Robert, and when his meetings with them took place. In fact, Garman didn't even know them well enough to properly identify the difference between Robert and Travis as pictured in his book. And now they are supposed to be best buddies??? I dunno about that. That's a hard one to get one's arms around. My guess is Garman's knowledge of anything Tumlinson was from one chance meeting in Millsite Canyon, a single letter from a destitute Robert, and a lot of local chit-chat....post Clarence Mitchell.

You indicated the slides were from the 1940/1950's era. Doesn't that conflict with Robert's letter to Garman? Dated 1962??? If Robert allowed Garman to photograph something as sensitive as the ground map 10 plus years earlier are we to believe he would include a PS in his letter in 1962 that he (Robert) could send photographs ......just doesn't make sense. Robert's letter is giving a brief description of what is depicted on the stones. Wouldn't that be a tad bit anti-climatic to what's depicted on the Ground Map? We can't be certain Robert ever laid eyes on the ground map. If Robert and Garman had met after the 1962 letter, then Garman would have had a far better understanding of who, what and where than what he wrote about in his book. It just doesn't add up.

View attachment 1387245

In light of new documents, photos and records that recently come to light the Garman story is being re examined. The Tumlinsons are a very small part of that story and of little interest to me. That has been beat to death and is Ryan's thing not mine. Plus it was addressed in the first season of the Legend show. When we talked about the stones the rating fell. When we move on they went up. The public has little interest in them. That mistake will no be repeated. Though the complete Peg Leg map is interesting from the Garman angle. After all a million in $100 bills under his bed came from somewhere. It is rumored he found a treasure. Perhaps Garman succeeded where others failed.

Lately you only post when Jr is upset. Advise him to concentrate on his production. I have no interest. There is more than one story in the big city.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
In light of new documents, photos and records that recently come to light the Garman story is being re examined. The Tumlinsons are a very small part of that story and of little interest to me. That has been beat to death and is Ryan's thing not mine. Plus it was addressed in the first season of the Legend show. When we talked about the stones the rating fell. When we move on they went up. The public has little interest in them. That mistake will no be repeated. Though the complete Peg Leg map is interesting from the Garman angle. After all a million in $100 bills under his bed came from somewhere. It is rumored he found a treasure. Perhaps Garman succeeded where others failed.

Lately you only post when Jr is upset. Advise him to concentrate on his production. I have no interest. There is more than one story in the big city.

Frank,

Hope all is well with you and your family.

As I have been saying for many, many years, whoever made the Stone Maps knew the range very well.....or had help from someone who had been working in there for many years, and knew all of the legends and where they took place.

Take care,

Joe

OP
OP
sgtfda

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Your right Joe. Sometimes the answer is right under everyone's nose and they can't recognize the smell because they are use to sniffing bullshit.
I hope the cool weather is not affecting you. In Pennsylvania I would be wearing shorts. Now that I'm desertized it feels like -20. Tell you sweetie I said hello.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread