New Displays at McLarty Treasure Museum

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all... Just thought I would mention that I was recently asked to put together two new displays for the McLarty State Treasure Museum in Sebastian. They have been completed and are ready for viewing if you have the chance to get to the museum and check them out. They are in the two round display cases in the museum... Doug Armstrong had some of his collection in these cases for many years but has now removed them since he is relocating out of state.

The displays contain some of my personal favorites from my private collection... Most of which I recovered personally but a few items which I purchased as noted in the displays.

Some of my recent beach recoveries are in the displays including a one of a kind intact Kangxi period Chinese Imari Porcelain Cup (3 Color W. Gold Leafing)... has Kangxi mark on base... First Imari type items made in 1700 so for this one to be on the 1715 Fleet, this was among one of the very first produced Imari pieces. I recovered this after Hurricane Sandy from Treasure Shores area (1715 Fleet "Cannon Pile Wreck").

Also displayed is an exquisite Nephrite Jade Chinese Foo Dog Statue which I had recovered recently on the beach just south of Kips Cabin at the Cabin Wreck site. It is intact and is not only encrusted with sand and shells, but still has the organic remnants of the original packing clay and straw that it had been shipped in on the Manila Galleons from the Far East!!! It was packed for shipment just like the Kangxi Porcelains... Really cool!! I also recovered one iron spike (literally just laying on top of the wet sand), and 8 olive jar shards, and part of an olive jar neck (Donut) all in the same area on the same day... Love this area!

Also displayed is my Silver Reliquary Medallion (which had been gold gilded at one time) containing a bust image on the front side of King Charles II of Spain made out of glass, enamels, and gold relief and an unfortunately very deteriorated and unidentifiable bust image on the backside. Also, as per observation by Dr. Eugene Lyon, there appears to be a piece of vellum/parchment between the bust images inside the reliquary and it appears to have writing on it! This being a reliquary type medallion, it may contain not only a written item but potentially something of a personal nature typically related to the person(s) represented in the images such as a piece of fabric, hair or fingernail!! This treasure was certified by Lou Ullian of Real Eight Co. and has been researched by historians at the Victoria and Albert Museum in London. This was recovered from Corrigans Wreck in the Winter Beach Survivors/Salvage Encampment area and is the only reliquary medallion recovered from the 1715 Fleet with an image still intact inside...

I set up one display with the "bling" and the other with a "baby ballast pile" (for the lay person who may never have seen what one looks like)...

Unfortunately I had limited space to work with but have received many compliments so I am pleased... I made an effort to make the displays both educational and entertaining. Hope you all enjoy it... And please feel free to leave me comments on anything I can do in the future to improve on the displays.

Best, Phips

thetigers2

Apr 20, 2009
Homosassa,Fl.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign XS & my good old eyes...Oh and my Mischievous Mermaid a helping...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info gotta brake loose and get down there....

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a few pics of the Nephrite Jade Chinese Foo Dog Statue when I found it down by Kips Cabin (Cabin Wreck area)...

image-2412904715.jpg

image-2876840564.jpg

image-4204170026.jpg

image-2655609882.jpg

image-3279295325.jpg

image-3560510171.jpg

image-755501639.jpg

I wasn't quite sure what I was looking at on first glance since only a little bit of the green was sticking up out of the sand so I started uncovering around it and realized what it was when I rolled it on its side and picked it up! The dark colored organic material encrusted underneath the sand and shells is the original packing clay and straw... After getting this find right up to the McLarty Museum, I decided to remove just a very small portion of the encrustations from around the face and mouth of the Foo Dog so the exquisite details could be seen... This process was video'ed by the Ranger and the material removed was preserved. Visit the museum and see it in person... It's beautiful!

Last edited:

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very cool stuff!! will have to stop in and check it out for sure!!

would love to see how many guys show up at the spots you mentioned tomorrow!!!!!!:laughing7:
chuck.

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi seeker41...

I am not always so open about my productive spots, but the few that I mentioned here are no secret...

It's more a matter of timing, knowing what was found where in the past and knowing what to look for with regards to current hunting conditions... But you know all that...

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi seeker41...

I am not always so open about my productive spots, but the few that I mentioned here are no secret...

It's more a matter of timing, knowing what was found where in the past and knowing what to look for with regards to current hunting conditions... But you know all that...

:thumbsup:

right!, I have always wanted to do an experiment and post that some great find was made at beach x then take a video of all the hunters that showed up!:thumbsup:
chuck.

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carumba! Excellent! I will check it out this week I hope. Incidentally, Doug is not leaving the state, just relocating in the area. I think some of his collection went to BAR and part is being displayed by the Huguenot Society in Europe. Joel Ruth bought out his lab and we rebuilt it in Indiatlantic. I got all his personal papers, and he sold his library.

I LOVE that dog! It's a fantastic find. Good work!

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input and compliments guys... The Foo Dog was definately a surprise find and is certainly one of my best.

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input and compliments guys... The Foo Dog was definately a surprise find and is certainly one of my best.

Sorry... I thought Doug was relocating to Georgia... My error... Either way, awesome that you were able to get the lab and research papers! Love to meet up with you and check it out sometime.

thetigers2

Apr 20, 2009
Homosassa,Fl.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign XS & my good old eyes...Oh and my Mischievous Mermaid a helping...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a fantastic find

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like Phips is the only one that has real treasure in the museum since all the rest is replica's made by Kenny Miller.

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a few quick pics of the new displays for those who may not get to see it in person... For those who can get to museum, it is well worth checking it out.

image-4223708516.jpg

image-633504808.jpg

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome stuff!!!! very nice displays as well.
chuck

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Mike, not sure I've ever seen that particular Astrolabe before, is that something you found? If it is authentic, I'm wondering if Jim Joblong knows about it. Jim is a professor at Texas A&M writing a book on every astrolabe known to exist. We provided the 100th known for the book but he's not done yet, maybe yours is #101? If it's been around a while, he likely knows about it but if its been hidden away at your house, maybe he doesn't. Just a thought.

Shoot me a PM and I can get you in touch with him.

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Jas... The astrolabe in the display is a repro of the Atocha astrolabe

Last edited:
OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Jas...

The astrolabe in the display is an exact mold reproduction of the Atocha astrolabe. It was very new looking when I got it so I worked some magic on it and made it look like it just came in fresh off the wreck... Hopefully it looks decent... I did label it as a repro in the display so as not to mislead anyone... Everything else in the display is the real deal though. I included it in the display as the Docent for the museum would use the one that Doug Armstrong had in the display for her "treasure talks" with museum visitors... She was disappointed when Doug removed his so I put mine in for her... I wish mine was authentic! Anyway, thanks for the info and the offer to put me in contact with the individuals recording astrolabe recoveries. I am however hoping that I will have a real one soon from my latest shipwreck endeavors... Time will tell.

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Cool Mike, the displays look great! Nice job making the astrolabe look encrusted too, it fooled me. :-)

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jas... If you saw the astrolabe in person, I have no doubt you would recognize it as a repro but the lay person probably wouldn't... That's why I labeled it as such... I don't want to misrepresent anything.

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
I stopped in McLarty's to see your exhibit yesterday after the memorial service for Jeffrey and a prayer for him out on the beachfront at Corrigans. It looks great! An absolute must see in person. Pictures don't do it justice! Well Done!
Aquanut

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for doing what you do.

You make a lot of folks happy and educated.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread