New F75 Ltd2 Bags A Few Silver

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, as I related back at http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/fisher-research-labs/436265-fisher-f75-strikes-gold-twice-row.html I have been a long time fan of the Fisher F75 but like many people I finally let it go because it was not playing well with electrical interference in urban areas. Most of my use had been in remote locations but I wanted to weed my detector collection down, and I decided a detector I could only use out of town had to be cut. As the post in the link goes on to tell, I was really excited when I got to try a prototype F75 out. It seemed to solve my issues plus add a couple new tricks to the mix.

I finally got a new production F75 Ltd2 recently (12-14 version) and was anxious to try it out on an area where I had found a few older coins previously. The problem is the ground is sandy and loaded with magnetite, running 5-6 bars on the Fe3O4 meter. I had run several other models of detectors here with stock coils and was getting no depth at all. Heavy magnetite really shuts down stock coils, and it did not help that there was a lot of nails, wire, and other ferrous stuff in the mix. So I hit the location with the F75 and 5" DD coil and it was like the place had never seen a detector before.

Anyway, I dug quite the pile of coins and there are plenty left to go find. I cleaned out the pouch and had 14 wheaties, mostly from the 40s and 50s, a 47 and 51 dime, and a 59 quarter plus a small pile of clad and some zincolns. Some kind of ring (too light for silver, to heavy for aluminum), a little silver heart/cross pendant. and a neat little Caldwell Bus Co token with the hole in the middle. Anyway, nothing exciting, I was mainly just really happy to be running the F75 maxed out in a park in town with no EMI issues at all. Not a whisper. I was running DE at 99, 0 disc 3H getting coins down to around 5 - 6 inches, which is superb in this kind of dirt. I would say about 50% more depth than I was seeing with other top brand units running stock coils. Great machines, just too much coil for the dirt. I am sure the F75 would suffer also if I had the stock coil on it. The larger coils will often see the coins but usually identify them as ferrous targets.

Anyway, just pleased as can be with the F75. I have been selling off a lot of my extra detectors but this one is a keeper.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good report (and good results).

I have a 2007 F-75 that is on it's way back from TX with the LTD upgrade. Eager to see how it does.

Magnetite isn't a problem locally, though there are some heavier iron soils in places. The northern parts of NY get more magnetite and hematite.

I had been having good luck with the 6.5" elliptical coil in the trashy sites. Have to try them again now

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Steve, Had the chance to get a 75 a little while back and didn't know enough about it to pull the trigger. Can you tell me from personal experience if it has a pretty good depth to it? I like the screen readout on these also. Seam to have a loyal following but don't know anyone that has one.

OP
OP
Steve Herschbach

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depth is as good as anything out there, better than most. Biggest complaint for years was machine was too prone to electrical interference, but it appears they fixed that. It is not immune, no detector is. But it went from being one of the worst to one of the best in that regard.

Honestly, there are many very good detectors out there. For me at though the F75 has a good mix of power and simplicity in one of the most ergonomic packages made.

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The interference was the complaint I had hear about, but wondered about one of the clamp on RF doohickeys. Might still be able to get the detector I missed as I've heard he still has it. Not sure what to offer though. Anyone got a fair price in mind for a gently used one? Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Steve Herschbach

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The clamp on magnets are worthless but if you get a smoking deal in a used one you can have it upgraded to like new for a small fee at Fisher F75 Upgrade page but the offer ends March 1st so do not wait too long.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of the things I like about the F75 is that it can run "close and play" at the factory defaults and you won't be far wrong. Ground balance (fastgrab- three seconds), set the sensitivity low enough that it doesn't chatter and search away. I do a reset on mine when I start the day and punch in what is needed for that site. It's all right there in front of you on the one display. I think very intuitive.

And when you start to open up the features you can fine tunes it to your heart's content. I've had mine seven years and there are search settings I haven't fully explored yet - and now I'll have two more!

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Preciate the info guys. I'm thinking about adding it to the stable and getting rid of another to help pay for it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread