New Farm was a "Reale" Good Day

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello everyone,

After speaking to many Tnet and club members they have convinced me to post a few of my hunts. So I will post todays and some of my future hunts. Still feel a bit funny about posting, but the last post wasn’t painful and the Tnet support was overwhelming.

Today, I was in RI and driving down a old farm filled area and seen a farmer in his field just sitting there in a tractor; he was obviously turning over the farm field soil. So I walked over and asked if I could detect his fields, he said “you are not going to find anything; I have let people detect these fields for years.” He then said, “Go ahead and have fun”. I began working in the right hand corner of a large square field, and gridded about 100’ x 100’ area trying to not bother the farmer. As I made pass after pass, moving very slowly and working the coil to barely touch the freshly turned soil. After a few passes, I realized this place has much to offer in terms of coins and relics. The first coin of the day was a 1925 SLQ about two inches down! The next a 1779 Spanish ½ reale (9”), then a 1921 wheat cent (6”) and finally an unknown to me foreign coin (6”) that has a 2 in the front with a date of 1890 and what looks like a German seal on the back (the 2 is not in the correct place for a German 2 Pfenning). I briefly tried to locate the origin of the coin, as of this writing have had no luck. The coin has seen better days, but if I can take a few close-up photos, I may post; someone here will know its origin. The rest of the relics and jewelry were found while completing the gridding pattern, with the marble being a surface find. I hope to hit the field sometime again before it gets to cold.

The two photos are of the cleaned (soft toothbrush) Reale and complete hunt.

Thanks for reading and GL & HH

Regards,

Doc
CAM00758.jpg CAM00759.jpg

Upvote 41

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Congrats professor, that's a really great day. :occasion14:

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe the farmer has never been shown what was found? I always think this when they say this to me. Nice finds, I would love to come up there and hunt some of those fields with you.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love Spanish treasure, never know where it's gonna turn up because it is scattered throughout all of the Americas. It was legal tender until the 1850's in the USA and some Spanish silver remained in circulation until the dawn of the 20th century - by then some being nothing more than worn smooth silver disks that had become nearly unidentifiable.

I imagine the story of the longest circulating coin in US history likely being a 1/2 Reale - passing from the hands of late 17th century merchants, to the fathers of our nation's founding fathers, to the founders themselves, through the centuries to common merchants and businessmen, to pirates, thieves, slaves, cowboys, Indians, lawmen, outlaws, and all peoples throughout the centuries - to finally end up in a jar or in a cigar box somewhere in the 21st century - a worn smooth piece of silver that is given to a child as a curiosity because the coin dealers all judged it to be cull grade - worthless - but in the hands of that interested child the worn out "worthless" coin is the most precious of all coins because it is the coin with a story so long and varied that it likely saw it all.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!! Congrats!!! If You need any help hunting spots like that again, I may be willing to travel.:laughing7:

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Professor you inspire me all the time and now it’s your time to shine. Start posting more of your finds and quit being so modest. Congratulations on the real and the elusive SLQ. You are a true detectorist and I’m your biggest fan.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread