crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found another marble today at an old home site. It was lying in the corn field on top.

024.jpg

052.jpg

051.jpg

050.jpg

049.jpg

Marbleguy

Nov 2, 2008
I would say Ravenswood Novelty Company marble..

But that's because where I live in a Mojave Desert ghost town that's the kind of marbles found here. Please understand that Trona,Ca is is at the End of the World. There's a sign outside town 'HELL 10 MILES..TRONA 15'. I think that travelling marble salesmen were hard-put to reach Trona back in the old days. It's 130F here in summer,8F in winter with hurricane force sandstorms. So when a kid got a bag of marbles to play with it was a big deal. I know an elderly woman here who at age six played with live rattlesnakes. I don't think many horse drawn carriages or Model T Fords reached Trona. I'm saying the selection of dug marbles I've accumulated are mostly Akro Agate and Ravenswood. This because Akro and Ravenswood salemen must've really needed the money more than salesmen from other marble companies. Who else would pass thru Hell with a briefcase full of marbles to snag a sale from a kid?

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: I would say Ravenswood Novelty Company marble..

Marbleguy said:
But that's because where I live in a Mojave Desert ghost town that's the kind of marbles found here. Please understand that Trona,Ca is is at the End of the World. There's a sign outside town 'HELL 10 MILES..TRONA 15'. I think that travelling marble salesmen were hard-put to reach Trona back in the old days. It's 130F here in summer,8F in winter with hurricane force sandstorms. So when a kid got a bag of marbles to play with it was a big deal. I know an elderly woman here who at age six played with live rattlesnakes. I don't think many horse drawn carriages or Model T Fords reached Trona. I'm saying the selection of dug marbles I've accumulated are mostly Akro Agate and Ravenswood. This because Akro and Ravenswood salemen must've really needed the money more than salesmen from other marble companies. Who else would pass thru Hell with a briefcase full of marbles to snag a sale from a kid?

??? ::) I just was asking what kind of marble I had found

Marbleguy

Nov 2, 2008
There's complexities..

Some marbles are relatively easy to identify but many are not. And if anyone tells you they are easy to ID they're fulll of horse poo. What we had back in the old days of marble manufacture was intense competition between at least seven marble companies and I think more than that number to produce marbles to sell to children for a penny apiece. Historically this really points out the difference between the old days and now. The old marbles speak of what humanity accomplished when placed between a rock and an anvil. Makes me think back of the jobs I held when I was a kid. I was once poor enough I found dinner in trash dumpsters. Today the DOW rose enough to enable me to buy several Mercedes Benzes thru my investmnents with Morgan Stanley. And so the old childrens' marbles built with the sweat and sorrow of men standing over vats of molten glass hold an especial meaning to me. What you need to do is buy several antique marble collector books. I have half a dozen of them. I'd advise books re early machine made marbles. You will find there's a vast diversity of opinions re who made what marbles. At some point you'll have to say whatever contested marble you may have will never be correctly identified. There's so much emphasis these days plasced on the monetary value of what we find that it negates the historical value.

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
hey jar head...that looks to be either an alley agate from pennsboro wv or a ravenswood....we call those close ones a wv swirl...nice marble!!

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find bud!!! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread