New Garrett ATX at the Beach

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess I am a bit surprised a new waterproof ground balancing pulse induction metal detector optimized for gold and salt water operation is almost on dealer shelves and next to no discussion here. Is nobody as interested in water hunting with the new Garrett ATX as I am? It appears to offer something no PI detector has offered before - the ability to use the ground balance circuit to mitigate the effects of salt water as opposed to increasing the pulse delay.

From the ATX owners manual:

Saltwater Operation
When mixed with water, salt and other electrolytes become conductive and may therefore cause any detector to respond as if the saltwater were a metal target. In fact, to a detector, saltwater has an electrical conductivity very similar to foil, fine gold and other poor conductors.

Traditionally with pulse detectors, to address the saltwater response the Delay/Discrimination setting was increased until the saltwater response was sufficiently eliminated.This method, although effective, can significantly reduce the detection of fine gold, jewelry, and other poor conductors due to the increased Discrimination setting.

Therefore, to help reduce this undesirable loss of detection, the ATX has an alternative method to address saltwater. Specifically, the ATX can automatically ground balance out the saltwater response without the need to increase Discrimination; thereby maintaining a better response to fine gold, jewelry, and other poor conductors.

The two methods to address saltwater are:

1) Ground Balance Method: Leave Discrimination set to minimum and Ground Balance to the saltwater as would be done for any other ground. This method will provide the best detection of fine gold, etc. but will produce a low-tone response for all targets. It is important to Ground Balance the detector when it moves to a new region of the beach (i.e. from wet sand to dry sand at the water's edge).

2) Traditional Discrimination Method: Incrementally increase the Discrimination setting until the saltwater response is sufficiently eliminated, typically around 37. Ground Balance is not required with this method. This method will maintain normal high and low tone responses, but will have reduced detection of fine gold, etc. Reduce the Discrimination setting toward zero when moving from wet sand to dry.

For either method, the following basic techniques will help to achieve the best performance.

1. Swing the searchcoil flat and at a constant height. Do not bounce the coil or lift the coil at the end of swings.

2. Hunt the three different regions of the beach (dry sand, wet sand, submerged) one at a time rather than going back and forth between regions. This will allow the detector to be set optimally for each region.

3. Swing the searchcoil parallel to the water's edge to minimize changes in moisture levels within a given swing.

The detector may become less stable in shallow, breaking surf where the searchcoil is in and out of the saltwater. In this area the detector is encountering a constantly changing environment produced by the surf, making it more difficult for the detector to stabilize. Experiment with the two methods above to determine which you prefer, and if necessary, reduce Sensitivity to obtain stable operation.

The ATX is waterproof to ten feet, has a built in waterproof external speaker, optional underwater headphones (check out the new DetectorPro units!) and three coil options. The ATX collapses to extremely short diving lengths or extends to very long wading lengths. The unit has proven capability of hitting gold items weighing less than 1/10th gram. The 15" x 20" mono coil should be a beach sweepers dream. Finally, there is a halfway decent iron check for shallow ferrous trash.

Honestly, this should be a killer beach detector.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1/10th of a gram...isn't it going to pick up every little speck of foil and can slaw? If it does it would be great for nugget hunting in the mountains and desert...useless on the beaches I hunt. :dontknow:

OP
OP
Steve Herschbach

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess if you do not mind leaving small jewelry like earrings and fine chains behind to avoid small aluminum your are right. As a ground balancing PI the ATX will excel on beaches with black sand or hot rocks. Extreme low mineral conditions like in Florida would not favor the strengths of the unit so you may well not have a real need for the unit where you are.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll stay with my Sand Shark at the beach. It has more than paid for itself every season so far.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most beaches in Florida are covered in tiny pieces of iron (nails, hair pins, pieces of crab traps ect), foil and other conductive trash.

We will NOT go quitely into the night!

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well Steve, I've been on the sidelines reading all I can find on the ATX. My thoughts, it could just be another good tool for me to use on those days/beaches that are silent and my swing arm is sore from not digging and just swinging.....However, I am waiting for it to literally hit the beach so I can read some user comments on it....
Cliff

DnD

Aug 24, 2012
First Coast, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX, Nox800, Excal, Explorer, CZ, AT, Sea Hunter, DP Pulse & Diver, Surf PI, BHID, and BH
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I just don't see how the target identification (ability) of an ATX will be any different than the Infinium. Albeit, the ATX looks unique and its designed to collapse into something easily transportable, the Infinium still can move its weighty control box onto your belt to reduce fatigue. 'eh, just my $0.02.

-David

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Melbourne Beach and Bethany Beach-- Snow Bird
Detector(s) used
CZ 21, Whites DF PI, Excalibur II, CTX 3030
That 10' depth reminds of another machine that has a lot of problems in the surf. It looks like it is really going to go deep in the wet salty sand. My PI is to much digging for me on the beaches. To many fish hooks.

OP
OP
Steve Herschbach

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll stay with my Sand Shark at the beach. It has more than paid for itself every season so far.

I would definitely stick with that Sand Shark if I were you Terry! Only a fool would try and convince you otherwise.

The Infinium drove me nuts with EMI and instability issues in salt water. The ATX looks to have addressed those issues, and so my interest in it. Sounds like I will be the only one out there using one. I will be toting the ATX to Hawaii with me in January.

I know how to ignore small stuff with a PI so not a problem for me.

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the iron id works like they showed in the video, its going to be different than any other PI on the market.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread