New greenhorn from Cedarville, NJ (its at the bottom of NJ in farm country).

cedrusdeodara

Greenie
Mar 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings all,

I posted a question last week about a good entry level detector. Given feedback from many members (thanks to all) I have settled on a Garrett Ace 350. It seems to have the basics that I'm looking for, at a price that is very reasonable, and it is American made. I ordered the machine from a very friendly and helpful sponsor of this site, Treasure Mountain Metal Detectors. I cant wait to get the machine and start searching. I know I will become addicted to this sport. I am big time into clamming, and that is alot like speculating for gold or searching for treasure. Some days you get some, but some days you find many hundreds of clams (all of which I eat or give to friends or family, never sell even though I pay for a commercial license so I can keep all that I find). I hope to learn from other members about detecting, and I hope to share my green-horn attempts. I am even thinking of getting a youth model for my 7 year old. I figure it will help to smooth over the "why are you gone 6 hours on a Sunday" conversation that I am bound to have with my wife (a conversation that I am already accustomed to as a fisherman, hunter, clammer, crabber, wood cutter/splitter, etc.). Anyway, I am happy to learn about this hobby and to be a member here. I will be sure to post pics of the bottle caps and beer cans that I am bound to find at my first attempts. Hey, aluminum scrap has value too!! Ha ha ha.
Regards,
Brian "Greenhorn" Sherman aka Cedrusdeodara, aka Angel Eyes

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pennsylvania.gif
Welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania and congrat's on your new MD!
reading_01.gif
You might consider browsing Sub-Forums: New Jersey for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum.
I started out with a 350. Good machine.
If you look on Garrett's website they have the manual and a video tutorial section. If you do your homework now, when it arrives you will know how to use it and not waste your time.
In the summer go to the tourist beaches in the morning. Just don't try to use it in the salt water or wet sand on salt water beaches or bays. It will give you false hits because it is not made for a salt water environment. But as long as the sand is dry it works great.
Happy hunting

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet Brian. :hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread