New Guy Here

bigb03

Mar 12, 2009
Ennis, Montana
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. Well I have really been trying to get my hands on a metal detector lately but I have some questions. First off I have no idea what I am doing. All I know is I have wanted to do this for a long time and since I am laid off and bored why not now. I need some guidance. I live in south east Michigan and I don't even know where to find a detector. I have some questions.

1. What can I look to spend? I want a detector that is somewhat water proof but I don't plan on fully submerging it.

2. Are they easy to use?

3. What's a good detector for a beginner? I don't want a worthless one that I am going to want to replace in a year. I want one good enough to detect coins and objects similar in size.

4. What else do I need?

5. Is there a store located in SE MI that I can go to and look at detectors?

6. Anyone have a good detector to sell to a broke 24 yr old?

7. I heard I may need a permit, is this true?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. I know that with all the wet weather and snow melt it is probably a good time to get out there. Thanks a lot everyone.

Planet1mars

Feb 18, 2008
Shelby Twp., mi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
buying a metal detector for your needs is the tuff part... you dont need a permit... check the ads area for used detectors.. or e-bay or craigs list.. you can check manufactures for a dealer by you

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
Also you can click on 'KELLYCO' on the top here. They have a good selection of both new and used ones, and other things that are used in detecting. You can check out everything they carry on their website. I bought my Garrett Ace 250 from
them on a good deal along with some other things that were in the package. They are good people to deal with.
Lots of luck

Ray

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where are you in MI. I am in OH close to the MI and IN lines. If you would like to get together I have a some extra detectors you could try one and see what you think. I am usually free on the week ends. If intest email or PM me....Matt

Kellyco

Oct 10, 2007
Winter Springs, Florida
Detector(s) used
Everything in Kellyco's Showroom!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mlayers said:
Where are you in MI. I am in OH close to the MI and IN lines. If you would like to get together I have a some extra detectors you could try one and see what you think. I am usually free on the week ends. If intest email or PM me....Matt

Way to be a team player!! Take Matt up on it - it never hurts to try one out and see how ya feel about it! Welcome to the most addicting hobby you'll ever have! :wink:

OP
OP
bigb03

bigb03

Mar 12, 2009
Ennis, Montana
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply's everyone. I am already addicted and I haven't even tried it yet. I just love wandering in the woods. Plus it is getting close to morel mushroom hunting time so I will be out looking anyway I might as well have a detector with me. I don't really need another addicting hobby but hey why not.

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
make sure and get a pin-pointer to go along with your metal detector, I went my first year without one, and it makes a huge difference in how fast you recover a target. HH

Planet1mars

Feb 18, 2008
Shelby Twp., mi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont use a pin pointer... get it if you can afford one... it does help.. this hobby could get expensive

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
bigb03 said:
Thanks for the reply's everyone. I am already addicted and I haven't even tried it yet. I just love wandering in the woods. Plus it is getting close to morel mushroom hunting time so I will be out looking anyway I might as well have a detector with me. I don't really need another addicting hobby but hey why not.
MMMMMMMMMM......Morels....Welcome, just remember that if you do get a detector, most important thing is to get out and put in the time, many make the purchase, go out once or twice, and the machine ends up in the closet forever. Get out and don't become discouraged! FFD

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! A garrett Ace 250 is a great machine that does a lot for the money.
If you want the name of a great honest dealer send me an email.
There is a good club in Lavonia. Are you far from there?

OP
OP
bigb03

bigb03

Mar 12, 2009
Ennis, Montana
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Plymouth so hello neighbor. I am almost positive I am going to go with the Ace 250. When I get the money of course. Looks like you can get a good set up on ebay for $300 with everything you need to start. I would rather get one at a local store since I hate ebay but it might be the best deal I am going to find.

Kellyco

Oct 10, 2007
Winter Springs, Florida
Detector(s) used
Everything in Kellyco's Showroom!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigb03 said:
I'm in Plymouth so hello neighbor. I am almost positive I am going to go with the Ace 250. When I get the money of course. Looks like you can get a good set up on ebay for $300 with everything you need to start. I would rather get one at a local store since I hate ebay but it might be the best deal I am going to find.

You don't have to go the eBay route if you don't want to - we take PayPal or whatever else you want, I think we even have a lay-away plan if you're interested! Wherever you end up shopping, just be careful. eBay can be scary!!!

Mojohand

Oct 18, 2008
rockwood mi
Detector(s) used
Fisher f-70,minelab quattro, garrett ace250
Nankin hardware in westland on ford rd sells the ace 250 for about 220 new.
Matt

OP
OP
bigb03

bigb03

Mar 12, 2009
Ennis, Montana
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I just pulled the trigger on a Ace 250. Just thought I would let everyone know what I decided on doing. Thanks for all the help. I'm sure I'll need more when I get out there and start to use it. Hopefully there is still some stuff left out in Hines Park.

Thanks again.

Clad 2 meet u

May 7, 2007
Algonac Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro (land) CZ20 (water)
If your going to hunt Hines Park or any parks in the Wayne County Parks System, you will need a permit. 5 bucks and you can pick them up at Nakin Mills Nature Center. Being from Plymouth I'm sure you know where it's at. Good luck to you and remember to "Leave it better then you found it". Learn how to cut a plug, fill your holes and take out the trash you dig and deposit in the trash can. If you do this, we all benefit in the long run.

Greg

OP
OP
bigb03

bigb03

Mar 12, 2009
Ennis, Montana
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll be out hunting the morels as soon as the temp gets up again. Yeah I live within walking distance from Hines Park. I'll be going to get my permit tomorrow. Maybe I'll see you out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread