Tenderfoot
Nov 12, 2012
Madison, AL
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone -

I caught the silver bug a little over a month ago.

Since then I have bought some silver bullion online - too pricey a habit for me to continue btw...so I started looking into other ways to satisfy the bug.

Metal detecting was my first thought, thinking it would be fun finding silver coins and relics. I have started pricing metal detectors, and want to keep the cost fairly low, since I am not 100% sure it will be the hobby for me. Any suggestions on a good metal detector under $200, for the soil in North Alabama (red clay and rocky) would be welcomed :)

Until I decide on a metal detector, I had to do something until then to hunt for silver, so I picked up coin roll hunting too.

Looking forward to reading more about everyones' finds, and hopefully I will be posting some myself sometime soon!

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from New Hampshire and welcome to TNet! This is a great place to meet people, seek advice, and "brag" about your finds!

Can't really help with detector suggestion, but I have heard folks love their Ace 250's (around $250 - more than you want to spend, I know).

CRH is a great hobby, too, and has a very active board here on TNet.

Good luck with your treasure hunting!

HH (Happy Hunting),
Anita

OP
OP
C

CaptJim

Tenderfoot
Nov 12, 2012
Madison, AL
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well, I bought my metal detector yesterday from Kelly Co...I went with the ACE 250...I was trying to decide between the Garrett and a Whites, and went with the 250. Can't wait to get it in. thanks for the suggestion Anita!

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome CaptJim! I'm new to TNet myself having just joined yesterday. I enjoy many aspects of treasure hunting but I find metal detecting to be a great way to get outdoors and find all sorts of coins and relics. While metal detecting I always keep my eyes open for Indian relics, bottles, clay pipes, fossils or anything else that I may find in the hole or on the ground.

I started out with a point-and-shoot Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Bounty Hunter Tracker IV) which served me well for many years. I now use an Ace 250 which is a great machine for the $ and still relatively simple to master. A supplemental hand held pinpointer is a must for quick recovery of targets.

Happy Hunting!
Nick

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread