New guy with the usual questions.

Sam 8

Jan 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
MXT..it is a Pro, but I am a rookie.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy.

I am a newbie here, looking for some input. I will check this thread at least once a day for feedback, and try my best to cover anything I don't give you here in the opener.
For many years have wanted a MD. I live in the heart of the Motherlode, in Northern California, on 11+ acres, and have always wanted to work this property and other parcels I have access to. I think it is safe to say this area is what you folks would call highly mineralized.
I want to be able to do it all, gold prospecting, coin shooting and relics. Because there are small, shallow creeks of interest to me, a waterproof coil is critical.
We also spend a considerable amount of time out in northern and north-central Nevada, using OHV's to get us into ghost towns and old mines...not the touristy ones, the ones that are 25-50 miles (sometimes more) from a paved road.
I am 6-4, and don't want a machine that will cause me to bend to get it close enough to the ground to do the work.
I consider myself fairly tech savvy, but understand that there is a learning curve here. I would prefer to buy one machine one time (I hear the laughter already) and learn to use it, and keep using it, instead of upgrading in a year or two and wishing I'd had the killer machine at some spot out in the middle of nowhere that I really don't want to hit again.
There is a chance my wife will want to one and several other folks in our little crew will be heading for the internet as soon as they see me pull something cool out of the ground. I am 53, retired, in pretty fair shape (walk 3-5 miles 4-5 times a week, cardio is the goal).
I know, from reading, that this is a Ford v Chevy deal in many respects.. ( I'm a Ford guy, own & restoring several)
I want some suggestions, price range is up to around $750...maybe more if someone can convince me the next step is worth the investment.

Thanks for reading.
This place is clearly The One when in this field. I've looked around, ain't nothin' close.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Sam :hello:
Check out a fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq
Whites GMT :icon_thumleft:

Feel free to call us if you have any questions.

Toll Free 855-966-3563

Go Team Ford!

Attachments

• 2011-10-19 001.JPG
    2011-10-19 001.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 630
OP
OP
S

Sam 8

Jan 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks AA.
I have been looking at the F70 and researching it quite a bit. I need to educate myself on the differences between it and the one you suggested.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hello fellow Californian. You say you want to do be able to "do it all" (both gold prospecting for nuggets AND coins/relic/jewelry). Just be aware that any machine that is designed to do both venues, will excell in neither. Because the goals of each purpose are opposed, when you think of it. The nugget prospector wants be able to find crumb and pinhead sized grains, right? But the coin/relic guy DOESN'T want to hear every pinhead, birdshot, nail, staple, pin, etc.., right?

So ironically any machine designed to find pinhead sized targets as deeeep as it can, will be too squirrelly for use in regular coin, relic, ghostown, and park or beach type scenarios (which are typically full of teensy little things, like nails, etc... that you'll want to disc. out). And since each type machine is built from the ground up to excell in its arena, it's no easy feat for manufacturers to make a machine that can just switch back and forth between the two venues, with the flip of some switches.

Yes a few tout they care cross-over machines (MXT, etc...), but as I say, they will excell in neither arena. Ie.: there will be better nugget machines, and there will be better coin machines.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Sam8, here's how I look at it. You are best getting a general purpose detector to start. This will allow you to hit those stage stops and find just about anything there. As to the detector brand, there are many good ones out now. It is more a matter of personal likes. As you get more involved in the cache end you will want to pick up a 2 Box, get a good used one. You can pick one up for under $300 and it will do anything the new ones will do. The next step is a big one, Prospecing, To get the gold you will need a high end PI and a different approach.
I don't push what I use. It works for me even though they are old. My general purpose detector is a Whites XLT, My 2Box is an old Hayes, It's good for at least 6', andI use a Whites surfmaster PI for beach and prospecting.
You might be better off in your situation to start off with somethings light like the Gold Bug Pro with the larger coil. It is a good general purpose detector and is reasonable good on finding gold too. Frank

dhearn

Jan 3, 2012
Sallisbury MD
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my opinion, I would look at the Fisher F75. Its Prob on of the easiest high end detector to learn. And one of the most adjustable for differant hunting conditions. I use one and it will find very small targets. It it starts to chatter do to the mineralization, just turn the sensitivity down some. This machine will go deep also. Just a few weeks ago I found a half dime at 10 inches.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom_in_CA tells it right. However, Whites MXT does a pretty creditable job of covering all the options for a mufti-purpose machine. It's designed with different circuits for coin and jewelry, relic, and prospecting. May not be the end all for gold prospecting, but is much better at general purpose hunting than a dedicated gold machine will be. I've done quite well with mine on coins and jewelry, and some relics. Haven't had a chance to really prospect, but it tests well on pickers and flakes that I've played with and I know some have done pretty well prospecting with it.
luvsdux

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:

Right to start Welcome to Treasure Net :icon_thumleft:

Mike from Woodlands gave you a very good choice of three :icon_thumleft: out of these I would choose the Tesor Lobo it will do all the tasks you ask. As you say there is a learning curve, you do not want to be descriminating anything out at the start, you can use the Tesoro in basic settings and dig everything.

This will help you reconize the sounds (good and bad) coming from targets using a good set of headphones, once you get use to these sounds..ie trash, and you can guess what you are digging before you see it, this is when you can start to use descrimination, using it straight of would be a mistake, on any detector. I had a Tesoro for quite a long time before I bought the XP, and this is how I got used to it.
The only place you will struggle with a Lobo is the beach, having said that I did use it once on wet sand, it false signalled all the time, but it still regestered the good targets also...through the noise.
I hope UK Brian comes along he will provide you also with good sound advice...good luck :icon_thumleft:

Silver Searcher.

OP
OP
S

Sam 8

Jan 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to not only read what is obviously a thread from a newbie, but has given of their personal experience and knowledge to help me along.
I had the chance to put my hands on a Whites MXT Pro this morning, and was rather surprised how well it fit my build, and very pleased that it was long enough that I would not have to slouch or bend, which is murder on my back.
It is "in the mix" as are some others you fellows have mentioned.
I understand the compromises involved in a multi-purpose machine, but that is the way we are going to have to go for the time being.
If this becomes a passion, as it obviously seems to do to everyone, I will move up, but don't want to buy a machine that will wind up in the closet within a year or two of purchase.
Keep the thoughts coming, I am reading and digesting every one of them.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no machine that will do it all for under $700.00 ! Perhaps sthe Garrett ProGold might be close but it ruind a tad over $700.00. If you are serious about the sport/hobby Start out with a $300 machine and learn how to operate it and then sell it or trade it for an upgraded machine like the ProGold Garrett. I started with a ACE 250 and moved up. But I still use my old original machine for just coin shooting. Monty

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an ace 250 because everybody said that was the machine to start out on. Personally, unless all you're doing is tot-lots I would never suggest that machine. If I would have known how hooked I would be to this hobby then, I would have splurged for the more expensive detector. It's only been 6 months since I've had the ace 250 and at this point it is REALLY hard trying to convince my wife to let me use some tax money to upgrade. :BangHead:

I've heard nothing but good things about the Fisher F70 and F75 and the Whites machines. I've watched several videos on the AT Pro that shows it just doesn't get the depth that it advertises.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sam,

One thing you want to take into account is the weight of the detector. The difference between a 3 pound and a 5 pound detector gets profound after swinging it for a couple of hours. That constant swinging motion is one heck of a workout (its all about reps and weight) and your arm can fatigue after awhile. And no, it doesn't just happen to people who are sick or out of shape. Perfectly healthy and fit people have the same complaint.

Whichever you choose, take the weight into consideration. The lighter it is, the longer you can use it.

I wouldn't want to advise you on which detector to get because I live in the Southeast and haven't a clue about the conditons you'd face in California/Nevada.

But lots of folks around here can give you good advice. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
S

Sam 8

Jan 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks everyone.
Still listening, still gathering information.
I am not in a hurry but want one by Easter...big trip to Nevada around then.

DaleGM

Aug 21, 2009
Sacramento Cailifonia
Detector(s) used
V3i DFX MXT Excal II D2 6x10 950 4x6 & dx-1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Sam,Im a Whites user so I cant say much about your other choices,in that price range and the condition's of the Motherlode the MXT would be a wise choice to do some homework on..... for our area,Ive hunted up in Jackson on my sisters Property and the machine runs well,and with the 4x6 shooter it can pick up those small nuggets or throw the 950 on for some excellent relic and coin shooting results, good luck with what ever choice you make,history is just waiting to see the sunlight again and its yours to enjoy finding..........

Dale

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
DaleGM said:
Hello Sam,Im a Whites user so I cant say much about your other choices,in that price range and the condition's of the Motherlode the MXT would be a wise choice to do some homework on..... for our area,Ive hunted up in Jackson on my sisters Property and the machine runs well,and with the 4x6 shooter it can pick up those small nuggets or throw the 950 on for some excellent relic and coin shooting results, good luck with what ever choice you make,history is just waiting to see the sunlight again and its yours to enjoy finding..........

Dale
The last 15 words of your post are the most poingnant and succint bit of advice I have ever read
posted on this thread :icon_thumright:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sam , I don't pretend to be an expert (I'm no dealer either) But I have been pleased with
White's MXT. I have used this for 6 years or so - I must confess to not having used the
prospecting mode yet -( just haven't been in really hot gold country of late ). I have had very
nice results with coin and jewelry finds !, and some relics as well . The learning curve is not
huge , and it conforms to your budget level - around $800.00 Argentium.

OP
OP
S

Sam 8

Jan 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have spent the last couple of evenings researching the machines, whittling down my list.
I am pretty much convinced the MXT pro is the one for me.
Now, just got to finish putting the $ together and shop for the best deal. I hope to buy within the next 30-40 days, and get some time at the helm with it before spring really gets going.
I appreciate all the feedback. Wish I could buy it today!

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before you decide, you might want to check out minelabs xterra 705 gold pack. There are some great videos out there on it, I wanted one for gold and coin and relic, I also wanted one that had water proof capability (depending on the coil I use). It was a bit expensive, but I am glad I didn't let that stop me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions