New guy

warden243

Aug 23, 2012
Hello guys! was doing some googling when I came across this site. Seems to be a very informative source for information. But! I am very new to metal detecting,and was wondering if anyone knew of some good spots around Beeville Texas? I have two little girls that love to go with me, but all we seem to find is junk :( I actually have a house that sits on my land that was built around 1860 but have yet to turn anything up :( Nails and old pull tabs is about all we get there

Thank you any help would be most helpful

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TN. Unfortunately your going to dig some trash, many times lots of trash. What kind of detector are you using?

OP
OP
warden243

warden243

Aug 23, 2012
Not a very good one at the present it's the bounty hunter tracker.looking at the garret 350
Or I think it's a fisher labs V5 what is your thoughts on a md for around 500 bucks?

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be able to pull good targets from in and around the trash you'll need a a smaller coil than what usually comes on a detector from the factory. A coil in the 5" - 6" diameter is usually a good choice for decent depth and target separation. If I were in your situation, I'd pick up a used White's M6 off *bay and get a used White's 5.3 Eclipse coil. For non metered machines, Tesoro detectors work well in Texas soil. Again I'd get one used and get a smaller coil. The Silver UMax is a great detector for what you're doing and retail for about $250 new. For the money, the Garrett Ace 250 will work also. The last two mentioned are well below the $500 range leaving extra for a smaller coil and headhpones etc.

foolsgoldtx

May 5, 2010
hello and welcome!
Tx here too

i would be checking out that house some more, looking all around it and checking walls, under subfloor and in the attic for any caches that may be laying around

also around old trees or fence posts, any kinda markers that are visible from the house, you never know what someone has buried out there in viewing distance of the house, given its age and having gone through the executive order 6012 days you may just find some gold!
barns and other structures that are out there would be good to check into as well.

good luck!

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet. You are in a great area. The Fisher F5 is a great machine for that price range, and if you can go a little higher, consider the Garrett AtPro. It's a great machine for relics, coins and shallow water hunting.

Wayne

OP
OP
warden243

warden243

Aug 23, 2012
Finally found something other than trash picked up two 1944 wheats and a1935 wheat penny
Not a whole lot but better than pull tabs found an old solid copper spoon and a brass protractor
Thanks for the advice I like the at pro and the Garrett 150

Chisos

Aug 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I am up 181 a bit, but can tell you this. As you go down the old 181 through town I would check the creek behind what used to be Whataburger on the right(may still be there). The courthouse lawn is a good place if they will let you hunt there. Any grass or dirt ares behind or around the old town buildings should produce, as well as around the school areas. Don't know if you have access to the old naval air station, but that may have something. The thing about your area is the amount of native american artifacts that are out in the surrounding fields. This is true from where you are to all the way past Sinton. Don't know if you want that, but they are there. You would need to get permission, but if you are a home boy, that should not be a problem. Good hunting. As for metal detectors, dance with the one that brung ya until maybe you can get a decent used one. You'll find stuff, have fun, get asked all sorts of questions, meet the cops and be adored by your little girls. And you best just practice all around that house again. There is probably a lot there.

OP
OP
warden243

warden243

Aug 23, 2012
Got rained out from work today and my brother and I when to a spot we learned of from a friend of my mine that stumbled on a good spot going fishing :) here's what we found I got 3 1944 wheat pennies 3 1942 wheats a 1945 and 1936 wheats a 1924 buffalo nickel a 1937 buffalo and a 1941 nickel and. A 1942 mercury dime not a bad day

image-772558094.jpg

image-437028352.jpg

OP
OP
warden243

warden243

Aug 23, 2012
Oh yea found it all with a Garrett 150. Working right beside the Garrett at pro that my brother has he found a 1942 wheat and a 1941 nickel

Garrett 150 kicked some tail

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread