New Head Phones for my Etrac finds me a barber

how u do n

Dec 21, 2008
in my own little world :)
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Minlab E-Trac Garrett Pinpointer
Hi folks :)
I had been reading a few posts and, came across one about head phones.
Now, after I read it I thought wow they are right. Here I paid all this $$ for the
Etrac and, extra coils, and pinpointers ( Garrett ) and, I'm using the headphones
they tossed in the deal ( hoss headphones and nice ones but the lower end ones )
So, after calling Tony at Kellyco and, having him tell me I was right ( and all you guys know we are "not" right that "often" lol ) I ordered the grey ghosts.
They came ups and, of course I was at work and, had to look at them all afternoon. When I closed at 5:30 I made a beeline straight home to try these out. Going next door to my neighbors yard where I had found all the silver I thought "OK lets see what ya can do". ( I had gone over this small yard really well with the Etrac and did not think there was much left ).
The second I turned on the Etrac I was hearing different tones. ( after learning the old ones for a month I was not too sure ) Especially with the Etrac being such a sound orientated machine.
It did not take too long to have a couple of pennies and dimes in my pouch and, the tones that I was used to start to make even more sense. The way the new headphone separated and, clarified the tones even better made me smile like a kid
on Christmas am.
Now, I am reworking the entire yard and finding a stray wheat penny I had missed and, a couple more clad. I worked my way over close to the edge of the flower bed ( a spot I did not hit before ) when all of a sudden that high sweet silver sound I was used to with the old headphones rang out even better. After I pinpointed a target that seemed larger then a coin I was thinking "oh great a can" I started to cut my 3 sided plug I always dig with my hunting knife. I laid the plug back to see this a very small sterling silver spoon. ( the 2nd one in a month with my Etrac )
In all the years I have been detecting I had one found one silver spoon before and, now this year I have one silver fork and, two silver spoons. :o
a few more minutes go by with nothing and, I'm looking at my watch trying to kill a few more minutes before the Yankees come on TV when, the Etrac screams that high
silver tone again. Looking down the numbers are 12/45 and, for my machine this is one of two things, a large piece of junk, or a silver dime. I start to pinpoint and it is a nice sharp pinpoint and about 3" ( like most of the targets in this yard ;D ). Cutting the plug and looking I do not see anything so, I take out the trusty Garrett pinpointer and put it into the hole and sure enough it rings out loud and clear in the top right side of the plug. Taking the tip of the knife above and behind where it sounded off I pry out a little more dirt and out pops a tiny grayish disk. Thinking it is "another" little toy coin ( that I had found two of already tonight ) I was not too excited about it. Then I started to clean off the loose dirt and I see "one dime" :o ;D
I had just dug my 1st barber dime of the year.
1901 O barber dime. :tongue3: :thumbsup:
This brings my total silver coin count to in thirty days with my Etrac to "35". I never thought I would find so many silver coins to fast with this machine as I have but, I have been lucky enough to have found a couple of really nice places to hunt and, the old fire of detecting is burning again.
I can not thank this web site and, you great people enough for getting back into the greatest hobby there is. Where else can we enjoy our hobby and, pay for it by doing what we love one coin at a time.
Thank you for looking I hope I did not bore anyone too bad and I hope you enjoy the pics. The front of the dime is a little darker then the back,and when I used the same light to snap the pic it did not turn out too clear that is why the light and the coin looks darker. I hope you can see them OK.
hh
Dan

Attachments

• SD530098.JPG
    SD530098.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 403
  • SD530097.JPG
    SD530097.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 376
  • SD530100.JPG
    SD530100.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 376
Upvote 0

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great coin. its seems like the etrac loves silver. i'm finding at least one silver each time i go out. my silver count is 34 so far!

Dr. Ace

Nov 4, 2007
South-Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Ace 250
Congrats on a great find! :thumbsup: The E-Trac is awesome. I must confess, I have not had the same success regarding silver, but I have surpassed my wheatie total in a month that it took me a year and a half to find with my Ace. Also, I found my first three buffalo nickels - zero with the Ace. I tied my IH total in a month. But the silver has been eluding me. I haven't hit a lot of new areas, though, so I know they will appear.

WTG on your finds. :D

Keep it up!

HH,

Dr. Ace

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread